1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ domain and subdomain ok?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by fryman, Jul 31, 2004.

I have a site and a subdomain. They have different themes, would it be ok to submit both of them to DMOZ, (each one to a separate category), or should I first submit the domain and later on the subdomain?

:confused:

fryman, Jul 31, 2004 IP
  2. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    depending on how distinct the themes are (and how much content are on both), both may get listed. I'd try submitting them both.

disgust, Jul 31, 2004 IP
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    One site discusses christmas traditions, the subdomain discusses christmas recipes, although I also have all kind of non-christmas ones.

I checked the categories, and there are only 3 websites on each one, so I guess it would be easy to get in. What do you think?

fryman, Jul 31, 2004 IP
  4. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    my guess would be with two topics that closely related your chances may not be great, but it can't hurt to try.

disgust, Jul 31, 2004 IP
  5. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Well... maybe it could hurt me ;) You know how picky those DMOZ editors are... I would'nt want them to think I am doing a duplicate submission.

Although, as I said, they are going to be submitted to different categories... I guess I'll take the risk and see what happens...

fryman, Jul 31, 2004 IP
  6. mark1

mark1 Peon

Best Answers:
    So what was the result from this?

mark1, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  7. rob777

rob777 Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't run into sub domains yet, so I don't know how they work with guidelines for sure.

But if they are inter linked (easily accessible from each other to each other) They will probably be considered the same site.

It could look bad if the editor thinks you are trying to pull a fast one. The X-mas theme in both (even though different) may seem to the editor like mirror sites (two seperate sites with same content), or sister sites (two seperate sites with different content, but connected to each other like they are just different sections of the same website).

You could ask in the resource zone and maybe get a definate yes or no answer from more experienced editors.
    resource zone

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Rob

rob777, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  8. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    lol, forgot about this thread...

I submitted just the domain. Asked the editors to speed it up since it was related to Christmas and I wanted it listed before December, and believe it or not, they actually did!!!

My site is now listed at Dmoz, and it only took a couple of months :D

fryman, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  9. rob777

rob777 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good for you! :D

rob777, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  10. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I have that site on standby... it is #1 at yahoo and msn for my main keyword now... should bring in some nice $$ this December... ;)

fryman, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  11. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Gotta hand it to you, Rob... you do have a sense of humor :D

minstrel, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  12. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    fryman, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  13. mark1

mark1 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the dmoz forum link...

and clarification... so your listing in dmoz are duplicate subdomains? (as you said above)

btw... when u guys are talking about #1 in yahoo etc.. you mean #1 for a particular keyword?

mark1, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  14. windy

windy Active Member

Best Answers:
    congratulations.

windy, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  15. jlerner

jlerner Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi Rob,
    I also submitted a new site under my subdmain. The top level site is related to desktop graphics - the subdomain is a medical site. Though they are linked, I'm hoping the difference in content will distinguish the sites from each other and not be regarded as mirror sites.

Any guesses on how that may be viewed by DMOZ?

jlerner, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  16. rob777

rob777 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am just guessing (because every editor is different and has different opinions)

But, if it is a subdomain and totally different topic and content from from the main domain, PLUS it meets the guidelines (not and affiliate link farm, good content, etc.) It should probably be listed.

BTW- why didn't you just get a domain name for the medical site? I don't understand using subs unless you are sectioning a site (forums. , chat. , etc. like Yahoo). Wouldn't it be better SEO to have a dedicated domain name for a seperate site? I'm not SEO expert, thats why I am asking, for my own curiosity.

Later,
    Rob

rob777, May 1, 2005 IP
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Partial answer:

- may help avoid the Google sandbox
    - may make more sense from a content/branding standpoint
    - Folders vs. Subdomains

minstrel, May 1, 2005 IP
  18. rob777

rob777 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks minstrel.

After reading that article, I would still (if it were my site) try to get it's own domain for the medical site. If I am understanding the article right...the only benefit of doing a sub for that site would be the inbound links from the main site? But I would think that an easy to remember domain name would be a greater benefit for type-in visitors, then just make a small directory on the main site and link to the med site.

I think this is one of those issues where it don't really matter...it is all up to who ever is running the sites.

I currently use folders for my articles, forums, chat, etc on my wood website, and it covers gardening and home improvement. I would be better off sub-domaining the gardening and home improvement and give each their own article, forums, chat, etc. sections. But in my own preferences I would accually just split those into 2 other regualr domains (which I might do when I get enough content).

Thanks,
    Rob

rob777, May 1, 2005 IP
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I think I'd agree -- If it is related content, and the mother domain is of a reasonable size, then a subdomain makes sense to me. If the mother domain is small, just inegrate it into the main site. If the content is not even related, get a new domain.

minstrel, May 1, 2005 IP
  20. jlerner

jlerner Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure if I wanted to develope the medical site any further - thought if I could get it listed under a subdomain, it would be a way to test the viability of the concept. Then if it generates some interest, get a seperate domain and put some serious work in to it.

jlerner, May 2, 2005 IP