1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ does not help rankings

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by locux, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Going Green

Going Green Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had a web site, USGreenLiving, which with it's listing in the Sustainable Living page was a PR5. The editors removed my listing with no word to me and no matter how often I emailed then a question as to why it was removed I never received an answer.

All I ever get from DMOZ editors is the Run-Around or not communication at all.

But I do believe that the link I had gave me teh boost to reach PR5.

Let's all remove our links pointing to the ODP and point them instead at Yahoo as a Protest of bad volunteer editing.

Going Green, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  2. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. Aside from wondering why you have links pointing to ODP, I'm curious what you'd accomplish given that they have no advertising on their site. :p

robjones, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  3. swigyy

swigyy Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is only good for getting backlinks

swigyy, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  4. suganindia

suganindia Peon

Best Answers:
    Keep waiting man , tell us too when you get any gain out of it

suganindia, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  5. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have a similar story of a forum that was #1 in it's category and #1 in Google results for it's keywords. It was a great site and listed in the DMOZ since the category was first created. This was a forum for a video game system. I was listed for MONTHS then BAM...I noticed a drop in my rankings, went and checked around trying to find out why. Then I noticed that my DMOZ listing was removed. No reason why it was removed either. The site went downhill from there as my ranking in G slipped so did new visitors which started to kill the site.

I did some damage control and ended up doing okay but again...why was I delisted to begin with? And since site was sold I think another editor took over because new listings began appearing including the reinclusion of my own. I would almost believe I was sabatoged by a competitor.

With DMOZ you don't get answers. You get shafted.

RectangleMan, Feb 22, 2009 IP
    Blogspotter likes this.
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Mr. Jones is correct.

Though I do agree Mr. Reiki on some level. The majority of new links pointing to the ODP are from editors or from people complaining. Google can not tell an unwanted linked from a wanted one in most cases, so while you are posting go ahead and add a nofollow tag to it ;) You can do that here by using the [url] bbCode that Shawn was nice enough to add in for us.

Qryztufre, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  7. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You also get the right to file an abuse report if you believe that an editor has acted against a site with no reason. All reports are investigated and taken seriously. Did you file a report?

I am glad to say we get far more abuse reports that we get abuse, but that still does not stop the matter being investigated.

Anonymously, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

LOL, ODP editors looking for abuse. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• sand.jpg
      sand.jpg
      File size:
      67.9 KB
      Views:
    gworld, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    How are people supposed to take the abuse reporting when there are editor sites listed like Skrenta's 10k affiliated listings? Or when the very people we'd sometimes like to report are the very editors that review and investigate the reports?

10. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    And I thought you had done that old chestnut to death. No harm in trying it again I suppose. ROFL

Anonymously, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Sad but true, so why are you laughing...

Are you denying that Skrenta has over 10K affiliated sites in the directory that were NOT put there by a human?

It can be done to death, till the issue is dead. Topix is NOT listed fairly, and in many cases is NOT listed according to the guidelines.

Or are you saying otherwise?

Blogspotter likes this.
  12. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    if the guidelines will be followed sometime I think half of the spammy links from the spammy directory will be deleted :) but since there maybe will means some loses for some old dogs around will be hard to have this done .

trustnobodynever, Feb 23, 2009 IP
  13. gu3ssWHAT

gu3ssWHAT Banned

Best Answers:

With the corruption and dictatorial way how ODP promote their listing service , and the way how you guy's choose to '' share the love '' it's hard to believe someone really care about this damn it crap spam link directory . This is only bullshits about keeping an official advertising campaign ! Just with the reason to keep public interest about the directory alive , to increase the revenue generated for peoples with you colaborate ( for example mods from this forum ) ...

LYIES and CONTROL of mods from the forums arent fixing the dirty which come out from the directory !

gu3ssWHAT, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  14. ILoveDMOZ

ILoveDMOZ Banned

Best Answers:
    If you do not think a Link on DMOZ helps your PR then do you think it hurts it?

ILoveDMOZ, Mar 7, 2009 IP
  15. Mrt123

Mrt123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello I read Someplace and dam I am hitting my head where I read this article. It was written by a represented from Google. Basically putting your links on directory links site or anything in this matter is going to end as a ranking tool. From what I gathered there is a big problem with relativity and the internet is flooded with link sites. If you have noticed any popular domain name that is expired and has generated large hits on a popularity level on that domain name is quickly scooped up and is replaced with a website directory links page. Now this has become a popular business. A company will buy up hundreds or thousands of popular domain names then it is replaced with a link page looking like a search engine but there are different flavors but the same results. Then these site are all connected to a entry system which will load your link your website domain name for a certain price to hundreds or thousands of these link pages.

This Is a large industries and growing. Google is basically saying that it is compromising the search engine experience. The same old story ( I was look for an article on the Old the president Gorge Bush and all I get is pussy ) lol

This is an article I read back in September so I don’t know if google has deployed any new system concerning this matter but all the seo software out there and tools will soon be obsolete .

From how the new ranking system will work if I could remember better it come down to content on you site on that subject and forget about keywords well I think most people know that one .. out the window an long time ago but may still work with some older outdated search engines that nobody uses anymore ..
    ;)

Mrt123, Mar 8, 2009 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    What Google and the like are constantly trying to do is to produce results that a human being would produce, so that all the junk is filtered. You also refer to the new system being about content, nt keywords, that too is trying to imitate what the human eye and brain can see and do. But hey your post is in the right place because it is the basis of DMOZ. UNique content sites, seen by human eye and sorted to trim out most of the junk. Yes I know that sometimes, sadly, some get listed or change, but we try to keep up with 5 million sites. But I can tell you we do better than the junk that mostly gets dredged up on Google.

Anonymously, Mar 8, 2009 IP
  17. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The practice of buying expired domains and parking an SE page there (mentioned 2 posts up) isnt new, nor is it likely to have any massive effect on the value of directory submission. Google can easily detect the majority of the parked domains with a little spider action and they will get filtered out.

robjones, Mar 8, 2009 IP
    Blogspotter likes this.
  18. dybs

dybs Peon

Best Answers:
    so, what is dmoz for?

dybs, Mar 8, 2009 IP
  19. Blogspotter

Blogspotter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is bad DMOZ is good and the debate goes on.
    Why don't we just leave it and keep the opinions to ourselves.

Let those who thinks its good wait for their DMOZ Listing.
    Let those who thinks its also wait for their DMOZ listings :)

As for me, I won't mind.
    And when building sites, it is good practice to think..
    WILL THIS SITE GET ACCEPTED BY DMOZ?
    (I also ask myself, will Casale Media and tribal fusion accept it?)

If your site is good enough to get accepted by DMOZ by a simple submission/suggestion then it is a Good enough site to rank.

Blogspotter, Mar 8, 2009 IP
    robjones likes this.
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    If you have DMOZ in mind when building a site, remember that the main criteria is unique content, but also remember that we are not a listing service. We do not undertake to evaluate any site in any given time period and that submitted sites is only one area that we use to find sites for enlarging the directory with what we believe are sites which add to the directory.

Anonymously, Mar 9, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.