1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ does not help rankings

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by locux, Jan 30, 2009.

1. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    How about the facts which about I write before ? with the links with spam sites which breaking the rules from the guidelines which you guys always calling to be followed ? The links are live and none deleted them yet just because I didn't wanted to report them :D ? what action will be taken in this case ? will be ODP clean ? I don't think honestly since this dirt its not from few weeks since I started to be interested about the directory ? What PROVES need more than the live link on the directory ? Shall I re-write again all the descriptions of links which I`m refer there? I`m sure most of you know about them !

Maybe you didn't follow the guidelines :) maybe you didn't do yet any type of spam , or maybe your site aren't copy the content from other site , maybe your site isn't promoting MLM / get rich schemes , maybe your site aren't promoting yet loads of amazon referral products and isn't hosted free on geocities since 2001 :) ... maybe your site aren't cite two ( YES TWO cites ) from another site nothing more , maybe your site isn't a clone from one of most known girl community online , redirecting on the sub domains from there . THIS are the true and valuable links from the odp directory :) and this you have to do to have a link there

trustnobodynever, Feb 21, 2009 IP
  2. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do these marginally intelligible rants (repeatedly stated in multiple threads, long since answered) have anything to do with whether Dmoz does/doesn't help with rankings?

If not... please keep the Yoda-esque trolling on topic. ~ Thanks :)

robjones, Feb 21, 2009 IP
  3. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    yes have same connection with like the infractions which I got until now :)? someone its really getting mad because I`m say what I`m say ? did you saw from me posting count there? look around of forum and consider post counts posts like '' thenks very useful '' and so on , not criticism with PROVES . if you are looking better its JUST a reply about something which was said BEFORE me , and yes both of replies had no connection with the thread . I`m curiousness how much infractions got the folks who are using copy paste to post count under the forums . And just for notice NONE of the questions asked by me before wasnt answered ( was used only copy / paste answers and lies like usual )

4. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah of course i`m learning from them :) BTW did you saw any complain about my infractions on the post before ?

I learned few things , first time I come and I asked some things , when I realized there are answers given JUST to post count building ( the answers pre - made ./ with copy paste ) I started to check deep to see what happens ... what I learn after ? well I started to get infractions there and threads closed when the proves was too hard to have for them an answer with copy paste from the ODP editors :) . Like I said like a week ago I`m really proud about my infractions and its really nice to have them how much time at least some of the mods trying to warn usual users ( like me ) ... do you know how can be seen this warnings '' do not say nothing under the public forum which can make bad image of ODP editors '' why do you care guys about keeping alive always same old and ancient lies ? have someone something to profit from them ? I was the one who post count building ? under the forum are over 5K posts with '' thanks '' or '' pm the url '' THIS are post counts building , same can be considered the posts made with copy / paste ( which btw one of editors said before ''using them always '' ) . Just for the note when someone ( anyone ) reply to ONE PARTICULAR reply ( the little thing from the forum with the quote ... ) its referring hes post to only that person and post , its not reply under the thread ! but suppose you don't have other options to give me infractions other than '' official '' ones

5. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not me - I've no clear idea of what you're saying :D.

jimnoble, Feb 21, 2009 IP
    silencer likes this.
  6. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    FTR - Someone its thinking until not PROVES with which I havent saying to afterward, where with post counts building realization cite where unless? For not! When reply, no lies are giving infractions, why for the nether post bound? Homogeneously obligate, of which too proud am I.

Understandingness is this for which too given will must you as well doubting.

robjones, Feb 21, 2009 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Find all threads started by gworld

It's truly sad you've NOT read many of the posts Gworld has started. As NOT reading them and calling them unfounded hearsay just shows that it's YOU that is the one that is truly clueless.

Look back into the past of what he's posted, really. Now tell me that the pediphile links did not exist? Tell me that scriptlance does not have completed transactions for ODP listings. Show me true evidence that the ODP is really under copyright.

Sorry Snooks, but in this case it's YOU that is talking out your backside...

Does Gworld come across as a troll? Sure he does, but honestly, what are you coming across as at the moment? He's backed up his claims in most cases, what have you brought to the table, other then to shout LIAR LIAR when the truth is practically beating you in the face with a shovel.

Qryztufre, Feb 21, 2009 IP
  8. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd never have picked you as an homogenous obligate, Rob, but then it's hard to tell from this distance, and of course I haven't actually seen you walk. :D

makrhod, Feb 21, 2009 IP
  9. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your strawman argument is a failure.

And yet there is only one DMOZ. Ever heard the expression "one bad apple spoils the bunch"? It's the fault of ODP not being transparent that has caused this mystique. It's their basic core structure of hiding information and keeping things in the background then allow rumors and speculation to flourish.

That's like calling the cops on the cops. DMOZ protect their own. It's obvious. If you ever ever ever see a dmoz editor speaking ill of DMOZ, other editors or it's practices that editor will quickly be removed. You know this is true. Find me an active editor willing to say bad things about DMOZ in public.

Good. Glad you are offended. Now what, beyond the neg rep, are you going to do about it? Let me guess...find any site I might have in DMOZ and have them removed? If you're even thinking about it then you prove my point. I don't put it past you or any of the editors to use their power to punish or reward as they see fit.

DMOZ is NOT a fair system.

Oh... http://report-abuse.dmoz.org/

Isn't it odd how DMOZ has a whole contact page dedicated to submission of editor abuse and yet how can one tell if there is abuse? On what grounds would I have to report abuse? The editors don't normally offer what category they run. Are you willing to tell me what category you run? A page dedicated to editor abuse and yet no method of seeing your sites status... Yeah that makes a whole lot of sense.

Not to place this post on topic. I believe getting listed does help in rankings. Google is based on links. You get listed you get links. Seems basic to me. You can never understand the complete algorithm of the G index so all SEO discussion is simply based on speculation. I think SEO is overdone and if you just use common sense in creating, maintaining, and promoting your site then you will succeed.

I can see no harm in submitting to DMOZ.

RectangleMan, Feb 21, 2009 IP
  10. ChaosTrivia

ChaosTrivia Active Member

Best Answers:
    I also have "unique circumstances" that are good for comparison, can be called an experiment:
    I have a website in a rare niche, that actually has only 1 competitor.
    My website is now PR4, not DMOZ listed. The competitor is PR5, DMOZ listed.
    I rank better in ALL top keywords.
    Before the last google update, I was PR2 (not listed), the competitor was PR4 (listed), I was still better.

DMOZ is a waste of time.

ChaosTrivia, Feb 21, 2009 IP
  11. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @RectangleMan

LOL. You are entitled to your incorrect opinions.

Its actually very transparent to editors, simply not to webmasters whose sole purpose is to "get listed".

We are allowed opinions, i express mine all the time. No attempt has ever been made to gag or change my opinions, despite numerous senior editors seeing them on this forum. I dont have anything bad to say......some things i can see need improvement, but if i was unhappy, thought things were bad, didnt like the people etc, i would leave.

You really think i would neg you, or pursue your sites as some sort of vendetta. Get real! I have more to do than waste time on that. Perhaps this shows how YOU think....what you would do? Well you my friend, aren't me. ;)

You are welcome to see my sites, the categories i edit are clearly displayed under my editor profile which is snooks. I have nothing to hide at all ;) I cant understand why you think i have a need to hide anything.

I will refrain from making further comments as it is substantially off topic.

Cheers.

snooks, Feb 21, 2009 IP
  12. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think you will get any answer to important questions. DMOZ editors will be as usual more interested to make fun of the grammar in one user posts and copy /pasting the official nonsense. :rolleyes:

gworld, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  13. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    well you said already once you don't even bother to read the replies or what peoples say ... everything started when I wanted to get some answers at some questions like '' why spam sites are added and kept on ODP directory ?'' *( yes I have the links saved there on txt file , not even one of the current answers given cant be serious and can be interpreted like simple lies ). The rules and guidelines aren't followed by editors ( yes again I made loads of references on the forums and I started to get warnings ) .

trustnobodynever, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  14. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No I didn't. I said I'd pretty well stopped trying to understand your posts.

jimnoble, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I guess you are right. The person I replied to has posted, but ignored my post... yet went right along and called someone else wrong without bothering to back up their statments one way or another.

Maybe it's a matter of "if I call them wrong long enough people will start to believe me" *shrug*

Qryztufre, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  16. Canadian1974

Canadian1974 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think DMOZ does help your rankings. Problem is getting in. I have a site that has been waiting for a few months but the category has no editor. Too bad the category doesn't have an editor like you Jim...you're doing a real service to webmasters by volunterring to edit categories! Good job, anyway you can pull some strings and get the following category edited? I'm trying to get my drunker site in!!
    http://www.dmoz.org/Society/Issues/Health/Alcohol/

Canadian1974, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  17. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    An opinion can never be incorrect.

Thanks for agreeing with me. And exactly what should a webmasters purpose be when visiting DMOZ? I gotta assume that a great portion of the daily visits and usage that DMOZ does recieve is from webmasters. They probably use the index more than anyone else including students and researchers.

And I asked you to produce an active editor willing to negatively discuss DMOZ. Seems only removed editors have this ability. You are scared to lose your ability the same as every other editor and so you keep your mouth shut.

I like expressing my views and if you don't agree that's perfectly fine. It makes for a good thread at least. And I am not the small bitter man I appear to be in this thread. I just have some grievances with DMOZ and how it's run. Getting changes in that organization into the 21st century seems impossible.

RectangleMan, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  18. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have to tell you that Jim along with a couple of hundred editors (including myself) can edit in that category and that NO category is without an editor. I have to admit too that it is now several months since I had time to edit in some of the categories where my name appears as editor, but I will get back to them one day.

Anonymously, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  19. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry that just is not true. If it is your opinion that the world is flat, that does not make it flat when it is round!

Do you realise how silly that sounds. You want us to find an editor, who spends hours of their spare time working to help achieve an objective but who actually thinks the project stinks.:confused:

Yes many editors want changes, but we usually discuss them where the decisions are taken not in open forums which achieve absolutely nothing. I and my fellow editors are always willing to listen to criticism from non-editors here, sometimes it is a good achievable issue. See how quickly bad or dead sites are removed when complained about here and ask Q how he achieved getting an internal discussion at ODP which removed hundreds of poor or dead sites. We also try and explain, when people are willing to listen, why certain things are as they are. But blatant "my site is not listed or was removed so every editor must be corrupt" just sounds like taking the wee wee.

Change is always happening, but it may not suit many people who hold deep gripes about us.

Anonymously, Feb 22, 2009 IP
  20. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion

Check your definition of opinion sir.

An OPINION can NEVER be incorrect because it's the belief that a person has.

Yeah...scared like I said.

imho most editors seem willing to defend the policies and positions of DMOZ...as I said..find me one that doesn't. Yeah you don't have to but I been around for a long-time and I have NEVER seen one. EVER.

Oh a challenge...
    http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Hacking/Chats_and_Forums/
    http://www.forbiddenweb.org/ (MFA Spam Site)
    http://www.socialengineering101.com/ (MFA Spam Site)

Start by removing those POS sites in a category where I probably have the #1 site in that category submitted 6 months ago and still not added. But adding my site certainly isn't the challenge now is it.

Oh I agree. That's why I don't target any individual editors. I just blanket them together and more or less blame the policies and system of DMOZ. The problem is sytematic.

What I would like to see...is someone like me being outspoken about DMOZ and still get sites into the index. That would calm my voice. Instead I fully believe editors read my posts here and probably search around the backend of DMOZ for sites I have listed or submitted. Tell me you NEVER do that? Lots of people are scared here of posting for sale a site DMOZ listed and advertising it. Why is that? Is it so wrong to sell a website and mention that it's listed in the directory? If I am paranoid so be it. I certainly am not the only one.

RectangleMan, Feb 22, 2009 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.