1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz confusion, abuse??

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by jestep, Jan 12, 2006.

I was just looking at my category in the DMOZ today and I noticed a specific description link for the category of card processing. I hadn't seen this before so I checked it out:

Linked Page:
    So these are the requirements for being listed in this category. Seems fair enough. This means that an actual registered provider is the only company that can be listed in this category. Should keep the category subject to the companies that pay the tens of thousands of dollars to register with Visa and MasterCard.

Now my question is do editors have to adhear to these rules as well?

The reason that I ask is that Out of the 72 sites listed in the category:
    24 of them are not registered ISO's.
    3 are blatant affiliate sites.
    4 lead to blank pages (404, Parked Pages, or a blank domain).
    2 were expired and re-registered by different companies.
    4 are completely in the wrong category.

Total 37 of 72 sites should not be in this category.

I'm not sure whether this is abuse, neglect or just an editor that is watching over the wrong category. There is no 'become an editor link' so I must assume that someone is supposed to be watching this.

jestep, Jan 12, 2006 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  2. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Could you link to the DMOZ page?

Blogmaster, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  3. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its the card processing category:
    http://dmoz.org/Business/Financial_Services/Merchant_Services/Card_Processing/

I have a list of the sites, but I didn't want to post it here. I didn't think it would be appropriate to do that.

Also, out of the 24 sites that are not registered ISO's, it is possible that they are, but not displaying it on their websites. In this case, the editor should never had added them in the first place.

jestep, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  4. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Yeah, this is one of those cases where the old "what is your definition of is" comes into play.

5. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I sort of figured it was something like that.

They should at least remove the affiliate links and non existent websites. I submitted a report just because there are so many sites that by Visa and MasterCard's definition, are not registered, as well as the affiliate and broken sites.

I didn't really want to post this because there is so much 'DMOZ wont list my site' and 'this editor is only listing his own sites' posts and I didn't want to make another one.

Anyway, the editor should definitely do some clean up at the very least.

jestep, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  6. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Totally agree. I hope the first editor reading this will pass it on instead of wasting people's energy with "explanations" no one cares to hear. Just clean it up, guys and move on ! (and yes: it was a great idea to make this thread IMO :) )

7. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    jestep - thanks for finding that. :)

I put in a request to have the category looked at. One of two things should happen - either the sites will be moved or the category description will be changed. If I had to hazard a guess, I would think the sites would be moved.

I can't guarantee when it'll happen though.

lmocr, Jan 12, 2006 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  8. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    lol... typical of DMOZ...

fryman, Jan 12, 2006 IP
    pagode likes this.
  9. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm curious if DMOZ runs any programs that checks to see if sites are down for extended periods of time; and if they are, are they automatically removed or must each site be removed manually?

lorien1973, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  10. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes. There is an automated tool that will do this. If a site is found to be down the tool will move the site back to the review pool with a special status. A human editor must look at the site to either relist it (changed url, or the site is up again) or delete it from the pool.

pagode, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  11. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    The category has had some attention paid to it already - how's that for the "no guarantee" time frame? :D

lmocr, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  12. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to say there are some real idiots who frequent these forums - can anyone explain why a post that says "thank you and we'll try to do something" deserves a red rep with a comment of "Take your rep and shove it"

lmocr, Jan 13, 2006 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  13. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    For the same reason that a comment of mine saying "we all know that there is corruption in DMOZ" got one asking "How do you know?" ;)

Blogmaster, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  14. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What about sites that expire or are sold. There was one or two that something like this happened to and now it is a page that doesn't resemble the site that should be there. Im assuming that this would require either someone reporting it, or and editor reviewing the sites in their category.

jestep, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  15. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My point as to why I was hesitant about posting this. I see hostility from people who cant get their sites listed, and then more hostility from people who are sick of seeing the same people complaining about it. Then when a legitimate question pops up, everyone jumps on the poster.

jestep, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  16. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    Those types of sites take a little longer to catch, finding urls that redirect to others is fairly easy but when the url itself stays but the content changes dramatically it takes a little longer to detect and remove. If you have specific urls and want to help, you can alert editors to them either via the "Update Listing" link at the top of the category page or through RZ and someone should be able to have a look more quickly.

Hope that helps.

shadow575, Jan 13, 2006 IP