1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ assistance

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by DarrenC, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    No, you are plain stupid!
    I'll compare DMOZ to Denny's right now and you to the toothless waitress working in the small town Georgia Denny's who cannot figgure out how to process a traveller's check. You are not even on the level to communicate with intelligent people here. That is why all your sig links are DMOZ related because you have nothing else going for yourself like so many DMOZ editors. Go back to resource zone where morons are being accepted based on their position rather than skills. There are lots of DMOZ guys here 8 of which are my friends. They would not want to be caught dead associating themselves with someone like you. The reason the others won't is because the bad ones are cowards who only show up where one of their kind moderates or someone protects them. Just like your lowlife friend Hutchenson who bans ppl and talks bad to them after they are banned and can no longer respond.

Anyways, please step aside and stop spewing false information. There are newbies reading this and this place is too informative to become polluted by idiots who think they are important because someone backs them up.

To everyone else at DP, I apologize my words but it needs to be said, let's be of help to everyone and not lower ourselves onto their levels any longer.

Peace,

Mike

Blogmaster, Mar 6, 2005 IP
    GTech likes this.
  2. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    btw I am NOT bashing DMOZ and good editors like this: http://dmoz.org/profiles/oneeye.html
    After Mac's display that would be offensive to throw them all into the same pile.
    I am bashing idiots with nothing to say who say things anyways.
    As well as those who overlook it, back it up and do nothing about it.

Blogmaster, Mar 6, 2005 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
  3. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

Kinda feels like the resouce-zone - but in reverse. All the way around. Several people ganging up on one, that one being made to look and feel like the bad guy, regardless whether he is or not.

The only difference is that these people commenting here are some very good people who only want to express their frustration at being belittled by some at DMOZ. Not all, but some. There are some good dmoz editors...I can attest to that. But unfortunately the demigods that tend to fill the resouce zone with their undeserved arrogance and demeaning presence tend to overshadow the good dmoz editors who really try and do a good job.

I thank and applaud those good editors and only ask that they keep trying and keep swimming upstream against the tide of arrogance and mediocrity that they must to survive.

I'm sure im looking at a ton of bad rep for this, but who cares. Its how I feel.

Oh, and I agree, Oneeye is one of the good editors.

joeychgo, Mar 6, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  4. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    If MacDesign would have just posted what he was going to post instead of getting upset at the comments in the thread we could have progressed.

But his comments brought out other points that folks needed to make anyway.

I just don't think these guys (editors) want anything to change, so when I say that they should all be fired and replaced with automation they get pissed off.

If the editors make their living off of something that is supposed to be open and free I can understand why they get mad when someone suggests that they should all be fired from their "volunteer" positions.

Fact remains that I submitted my site two or three times and never even heard from a soul, when I went on their forum and asked why they said to give them the exact URL of the page that I submitted to or they could not even give me an answer.

They said to submit it again and not to ask about it for six months or something along those lines, just a bunch of BullShit for something that is supposed to be so important to a webmaster.

anthonycea, Mar 6, 2005 IP
  5. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually - I cant figure out what the purpose of the resouce zone is. Does anyone get any real answers there?

joeychgo, Mar 6, 2005 IP
  6. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    They guide folks just like the Bush Administration does, in a way that you really don't want to go :p :p

7. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    it just seems like most questions are answered either with NO or Check back in 6 months.

joeychgo, Mar 6, 2005 IP
  8. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Don't worry Joey, SiteTutor is going to get this thing solved for the community :p :p :eek:

9. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ROFL --- Unfortunately, I'll lay even money that it wont ever get fixed. Google will tire of the BS and go another way, and that will be the end of dmoz.

joeychgo, Mar 6, 2005 IP
  10. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Joey, ST says the same thing, but it is just a database on a server, it ain't going no where :eek:

AOL will use it as the base of their Search Engine, they are investing heavy in search and local search, so it will be around.

The question is how the database will be built and maintained in the FUTURE, not what is has been.

11. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I dont know - AOL tends to completely redo things instead of improving whats already there - I say this as an aol beta tester for 8 years

joeychgo, Mar 6, 2005 IP
  12. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    To redo this would be to fire the editors and replace them with a voting system by the users of the directory as to which sites are the best.

If a site gets voted down so far it could be dropped out, if the pages are dead they could be automatically dropped also.

Webmasters could also submit sites automatically just like other directories have automatic submission and those sites could be voted up or down by users.

Automation could make the database fair and clean and user friendly.

13. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Whoa! I didnt start this thread in the hope that it would become a DMOZ bashing exercise!

Macdesign, firstly thanks for taking the time our to reply to my questions.

Yes, my business is based in Pudsey, UK, which is where my website is listed in DMOZ, if someone is looking for a property in Spain, they are not going to go to my regional town page to find a website.

Realistically, this means my website will never be found by holidaymakers, and in my opinion defeats what DMOZ is all about. I can understand editors getting miffed by SPAM, and this causing a delay, but to be rejected because the website doesn't cover enough countries or properties is not reasonable when websites have been accepted in this category which cover a few countries, and a small number of properties (our site covers 45 countries and over 1,500 properties)

I know I'm not going to get anywhere with this, but I think common sense needs to prevail when websites are submitted to a regional / town page, knowing that the website offers a service or product to people worldwide.

Thanks for everyones comments and thoughts.

Darren :)

DarrenC, Mar 6, 2005 IP
  14. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    The starter of this thread got some answers - judge for yourself if they are real or not :)

http://resource-zone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10747

http://resource-zone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20135

http://resource-zone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6489

http://resource-zone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24218

- Michael

Michael, Mar 6, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Do you consider those to be answers? I don't.

The "answer" by Hutcheson in your first link is
    which contradicts what wwhhomes was told and what happened. If that's an answer, all it tells us is that the policies aren't consistent.

In the 2nd link, all we see is "that question has been answere elsewhere".

In the 3rd link, a series of status queries are answered with "nothing has happened -- no one has looked at it yet".

And in the 4th link, we see the usual DMOZ stonewalling -- no answers, just "you have no right to ask or comment".

minstrel, Mar 6, 2005 IP
  16. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately, thats why I think the Resource-zone is a waste of internet.

joeychgo, Mar 6, 2005 IP
  17. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    Sure they are answers. They may not be the ones you want to see, they may even be wrong answers but answers they surely are.

Personally like joeychgo I think the resource zone is a waste of time.

- Michael

Michael, Mar 7, 2005 IP
  18. minstrel

Best Answers:
    They're not answers at all -- they are non-answers -- they don't clarify anything.

minstrel, Mar 7, 2005 IP
  19. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    thats the point. They dont want anything clarified, cause then you could come back and say "what about when you said this?"

Then they would be forced into answering questions. Cant have that.

joeychgo, Mar 7, 2005 IP
  20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Which is what happened when Hutcheson answered wwhhomes -- he contradicted what another editor had said -- no wonder they prefer to stonewall.

minstrel, Mar 7, 2005 IP