1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ assistance

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by DarrenC, Mar 5, 2005.

I know I should be asking this in the resource zone but I was hoping that a DMOZ editor who is a member here could help me with an issue that I have.

My domain holiday-rentals.uk.com is currently listed in DMOZ under the regional category for the town where the business is based - but the category I feel the site should be listed under is travel > lodging > vacation rentals > directory.

I asked why the site was not in this category, and I was told that DMOZ were not submitting new sites to this category due to a large number of spam submissions AND that they thought the site didn't cover enough properties or destinations.

At the time I was too busy to argue the case, and was happy that I am atleast in the directory, be it a category that no one is going to find me on.

Since then I have looked at this category, and a number of new sites have been added, which is great, but these sites, I feel are nothing like directories, one in particular had one property in Spain - to me that is not going to be useful to searchers.

Can anyone suggest what I should do to try and resolve this issue - I want to be in a category where people will find me - my submission was nothing to do with SEO of my site, but to drive traffic from DMOZ, which at the moment it is not doing.

Any thoughts? Should I just give up? :D

Darren

DarrenC, Mar 5, 2005 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
  2. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would give up, even if you got moved I would not expect the traffic to flood in. In 7 months I have had 5 visitors from dmoz.

l234244, Mar 5, 2005 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
  3. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not expecting floods of traffic - I suppose another reason why I would love to be listed in this category, is that industry experts refer to this list of websites in articles and such things.

Yes, they could use Google, but many use DMOZ for research (myself included)

DarrenC, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  4. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i agree with 122323342233422443234322121

you should consider yourself fortunate to make it in...and not be on a 5 year waiting list (i am sure you do)
    there are lots of sites that import dmoz pages...so hopefullly you will get some extra refferals, complaining to dmoz or asking to be moved could just cause more problems...although i hope it works out for you.

Solicitors Mortgages, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  5. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:

It is not clear if you have submitted to travel/lodging/vacation_rentals/directory previously and it was declined?

- Michael

Michael, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  6. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    gem, cheers :)

michael, yes I submitted it to that category and it got rejected - an editor in the resource forum suggested my local regional area, which was accepted. The reason for rejection IMO is poor, considering the inconsistancy of the websites in there.

I'm not slagging off DMOZ, and I'm happy that its in the directory, but I am looking at this from a searchers point of view that if you used the category system to search and research you'd not find my website in its correct category IMO lol

DarrenC, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Don't look at it from a searcher's point of view, wwhhomes. Who uses DMOZ for searching? Who uses DMOZ for anything except the backlink value? And for that, being listed in Toys | Children | Girls | Barbie Accessories would be just as valuable.

I really wouldn't worry about it. Spend that time building up other backlinks, including by submitting to other free directories.

minstrel, Mar 5, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  8. whateverusay

whateverusay Peon

Best Answers:
    I would personally avoid any dialogue as it should not even be listed where it is as it does not contain anything of local use. If you scream loud enough they will realise and you will see it vanish.

Shhhhhhhhhhh

whateverusay, Mar 5, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  9. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    whateverusay, lol thanks for the advice

minstrel, ofcourse your right, but it annoys me when I see the type of sites in there, but my efforts are best optimising the site.

DarrenC, Mar 5, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  10. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure it should be listed there - the company is located there

macdesign, Mar 6, 2005 IP
  11. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    So if I created a web site about the best places to see in Australia, people would have to go to Local San Diego Businesses to be able to find it?

Blogmaster, Mar 6, 2005 IP
  12. Sirxl

Sirxl Peon

Best Answers:
    you could try to join as a DMOZ editor ?

Sirxl, Mar 6, 2005 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    wwhhomes - if you are looking for answers from DMOZ, you should know by now you won't get any, or at least none of any value. If you are looking for logic from DMOZ editors, the chances of finding even that are slim. Usually, the most you can hope for is arrogant condescension and defensiveness.

minstrel, Mar 6, 2005 IP
  14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    They will all be fired soon and replaced with automation Minstrel, why worry about it, change is coming to DMOZ soon!!!!!! :eek:

anthonycea, Mar 6, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I doubt it but I'd like to think you're right and I'd applaud it if it happened.

minstrel, Mar 6, 2005 IP
  16. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Sure it has to happen, with the public relations disaster they have going on right now and most of the community pissed off at the process they will be forced to make change.

It is a big joke that folks do not even have status of if their communication (submission) has been received or not.

The entire system is a joke and the human editing process is lackluster and subject to favoritism.

Who has the majority of free listings in the directory :confused: AOL themselves :p :p

No wonder Google will drop them soon, because AOL is going to invest to compete against Google using the DMOZ database themselves one day.

17. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    The question originally asked was but I was hoping that a DMOZ editor who is a member here could help me with an issue that I have

Unfortunately this forum is turning more and more into a DMOZ bashing empire like several other SEO forums, and masochistic though I am, I see it's a waste of time posting - to be continually attacked by the same faces I see on the other forums.

So, wwhhomes I leave you in their capable hands.

macdesign, Mar 6, 2005 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
  18. minstrel

Best Answers:
    <snip>
    Your response illustrates precisely why so many people are so frustrated and enraged by DMOZ and DMOZ editors. Evidently, you think your response earlier was helpful -- let me enlighten you a bit on that, macdesign: it was not at all helpful -- it was no more helpful than the original reply wwhhomes received at DMOZ. It was a typical DMOZ response which basically says, "we did it because we felt like it and we won't even consider changing our minds and you have no right to even ask the question and you should be grateful we listed you at all and even bothered to reply to your question".

That's why you see so many people on so many forums (pretty much anyone and everyone on ANY forum who isn't a DMOZ editor, actually) "bashing DMOZ" as the DMOZ gang likes to describe any questions asked about how DMOZ does its thing.

minstrel, Mar 6, 2005 IP
  19. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Who is attacking you? Minstrel and I hardly agree on anything, but since we have the same position on DMOZ all of a sudden the entire forum is now DMOZ BASHING!!! That is pure BS, because other members have had good things to say right here on DP.

Maybe you feel a threat to your business of DMOZ related sites, but no one is attacking you personally, if the truth hurts that much then you should not post your side of the story. We are all willing to hear it if you would post your side of the story, if your views are not worth fighting for then what are they worth :confused:

MACDesign has a service for sale that DMOZ should provide for free.

http://www.open-directory-status.com/

So we see why he is so mad when I say that all editors should be fired and the entire directory automated.

AOL Sucks in about everything they do and DMOZ is no exception to this rule.

20. whateverusay

whateverusay Peon

Best Answers:
    MACDesign you should know better than to say that just because a company is based in an area it is automatically listed there without question.

The site does not contain anything of use locally and does not qualify for a locality listing. If the address was a 'walk in' office also offering services to the locale then that would be diferent but as the service is a web based one only it has no use being listed in tinytown just like the online only webshop.

whateverusay, Mar 6, 2005 IP