1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ as an SEO/Linkbuilding tool, as claimed by an editor!

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Qryztufre, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Which category your in has most impact, if you get many public submission you got something to work with, otherwise you can spend days searching the net for good website worthy of listing - I sunk so low that I've begged people to add more content to make their website listable just to have something to list, lazy bum never did. :D

Any change is counted as edit, so if you just fixed typos you can have 10000 edits in weeks if not days. ;)

Or easy way to inflate post count. :eek:

Ivan Bajlo, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  2. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    That's true, they all count as improving the Directory.

True again. My post count in any forum doesn't matter to me, nor does the rep, as long as I can keep my signature, :). I just like to talk. When I think I know what I'm talking about and I can explain something.

I haven't seen any editors having to correct me, which they're most welcome to do, so I guess I've been fairly accurate in what I've spouted off about.

crowbar, Oct 28, 2007 IP
  3. Gazzerman

Gazzerman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry to bring this back up, but I hate ignorant comments like this! I mentioned this in a post just earlier today that DMOZ has millions of site that copy their structure to create spam sites etc...

Getting listed in DMOZ means postentially hundreds if not thousands of extra backlinks to your site. (Regardless of the link value)

robjones, are you a DMOZ editor, if so I understand why you try to down play the importance of the link. If not then you learnt something interesting today.

Many people argue a fact even if they dont believe what they are saying/typing its just a defence mechanism.

Gazzerman, Dec 2, 2007 IP
  4. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Speaking of ignorant comments have have you ever heard of duplicate content filters? Hint: It makes your comment one of the ignorant variety.

nebuchadrezzar, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  5. Gazzerman

Gazzerman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Again a pointless comment from nebuchadrezzar, how many of you 436 Posts are like this.

It is a valid comment in this thread, people reading this thread may not read the others, this is 10 pages long and it should be mentioned here.

This whole dp forum is a duplicate of any other such forum and vice versa. Valid comments please nebuchadrezzar. Thank you

Gazzerman, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  6. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    You obvously have no clue about this. This forum has unique content, it is not identical to any other. Go and do a google search on "duplicate content filter". You have heard of google?

nebuchadrezzar, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  7. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I actually wasn't downplaying the importance of a link, I DO think they have value... just pointing out a link in any specific directory isn't the beginning and end of all SEO work. There are other good links, and I know well positioned sites that aren't in dmoz and poorly positioned sites that ARE in.

Outside of that, I have only been involved there 8 years or so... there's probably tons you can teach me about it. :)

Have a good one. ~ rj

robjones, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  8. Gazzerman

Gazzerman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Fair enough point Rob, I agree with your comments. :)

btw.. nebuchadrezzar your mentioned duplicate content not me lol, please dont take this the wrong way but is your first language english? I think we are miscommunicating somewhere.

I must confess when I read your comment I misread it because there was not enough explanation to your comment, please be more descriptive.

you said

"Speaking of ignorant comments have have you ever heard of duplicate content filters? Hint: It makes your comment one of the ignorant variety."

I presumed you were reffering to me making the same comments as others but infact you were reffering to the fact that the sites with the same DMOZ listings were duplicate content. This makes far more sence.

But still this has not made much difference in the filters as they still exist and still pass good SERPS. One site of ours only has DMOZ duplicate listings as backlinks and generates good trafic and nice top 10 google positions.

With good reason I disagree with you nebuchadrezzar, the "duplicate content filter" has done very little to null the value of the links, but it has droped the duplicate websites further down the listings.

To answer your question "You have heard of google?" well of course I have, what a stupid question. I am sure there are very few people that havent. Why do you ask? Seems like a strange question.

Gazzerman, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  9. CurtMonash

CurtMonash Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think anybody knowledgeable and honest would say that, unless the sites were found in some particularly weird place.

CurtMonash, Jan 11, 2008 IP