1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ article in webpronews and DP

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Foxy, Sep 24, 2004.

1. leer

leer Peon

Best Answers:
    Critical as ever I see (from me and not the editor).

leer, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Well, really... you didn't seriously believe that posting a comment like "you could always fill in the refund request form" was going to suddenly change anyone's mind, did you?

minstrel, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  3. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Good point! Let's keep the good suggestions coming here:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=15673
    Like I said, why get on those who don't have a say so in the matter? It's pointless to say the least.

Blogmaster, May 9, 2005 IP
  4. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    CandySmith,

It's amazing how many sites on DMOZ don't have DNS entries. I pulled down quite a few dmoz pages, parsed out all the .com|.net|.org links and found hundreds of active domains with no DNS entries. And quite a few domains that were around a month past expiration (and no DNS entry). (BTW, I think I checked considerably less than .1% of the sites on DMOZ, there's a lot! I think I looked ~13k, but a quite a few were dupes so it's hard to say, and I'm not that interested, just thought I'd give gworld's trick a try. =))

Going through, there are also some REALLY bad sites listed in DMOZ. Terrible sites that have zero content, and are sitting on geocities or something like that. I have no idea how they got approved in the first place.

nddb, May 11, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  5. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I have noticed the same thing, actually once had a site listed and let the domain name expire. 6 months after expireation it was still listed and by then had some domain jacker's affiliate content on it.

One thing about the cnn listings is that many of the pages listed had their content moved.

Blogmaster, May 11, 2005 IP
  6. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I had to do a lot of work with dmoz to get an old site that had been domain-jacked, removed from the directory. I didn't want the new 'owner' getting any benefit of my hard work.

I became an editor of my category as well to help build it up. I just have not been able to find a great many sites to add and the submissions total about seven or eight a year. (small category) Other than that, I don't have anything to do w/ them. I don't want to green bust, I don't want more categories. What I've got going on is just fine for me.

mopacfan, May 11, 2005 IP