1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ article in webpronews and DP

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Foxy, Sep 24, 2004.

DigitalPoint hits the news - written by Chris Richrdson at webpronews

Foxy, Sep 24, 2004 IP
  2. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    If DMOZ is so bad and PR is no more then why do webmasters keep submitting? :confused:

ResaleBroker, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  3. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    who said pr is no more?

Backlinks is the foundation of SEO -- and a DMOZ listing can give you 200-300 backlinks all at once.

joeychgo, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  4. candysmith

candysmith trying not to be evil

Best Answers:
    I sincerely wish there was something that could be done about this.
    I am a "victim" of this.... My site was REMOVED from its main category where it had been for 6 years.... although there are dead sites listed (404 not found) and some very suspect listings too. However, other editors have obviously found the site and listed sub-directories in sub-related categories (6 in total) so clearly it is not a sub standard site that is not 'good enough' for the Dmoz directory! In the country it is based it is seen as an authority site so why has it been excluded from its main category? Dmoz editors play web-god when they choose to remove sites.

Fortunately Google don't seem to take Dmoz that seriously anymore because we are #1 in Google, Yahoo! and MSN for our search terms so let them play Web-Gods ... that is where their actions get them - Google disregarding the importance of the Web-Gods.

candysmith, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  5. ResaleBroker

Best Answers:
    Backlinks will always be important. Popularity is popularity.

The recent speculation on many boards is that PR as we used to know it is on its way out the window.

My point is simple. If getting into DMOZ is such a hassle and takes so long why bother? Even more so, why support that type of behavior? For 200-300 backlinks?

6. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yup -- plus it gets you into several hundred directories, like the Google directory-

DMOZ is free - Yahoo charges $300 to get into theirs -

joeychgo, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  7. ResaleBroker

Best Answers:
    To each their own. :)

8. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Waiting a year vs. paying 300$... Id pay 300..

schlottke, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  9. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    Chris Richardson's article reminds me of the journalist who filed front line stories on the invasion of Iraq while closeted in his NY apartment. If Chris had spent five minutes talking to an editor he would know the answer to his own question "...what was going on the 3 months beforehand"? The answer of course is the editor was sifting through the 95% of submissions that are absolute crap. All editors get emails and 95% of these are crap too but on the very rare occasion when one arrives that is polite and helpful it is not usually ignored.

- Michael

Michael, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  10. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    I predict within the next 2 years Google will drop DMOZ and then no one will bother about submitting to DMOZ - 95% of the people who do submit now its because of the submission in Google directory and the link.

The problem with DMOZ is the large number of egotistic editors. Full stop.

DarrenC, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  11. leer

leer Peon

Best Answers:
    You could always fill in the refund request form.

leer, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  12. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, its free - we know that. That's the kind of comment Ive heard on the resource zone :D

DarrenC, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  13. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. And it's no more helpful or any less arrogant and pointless here than it is there.

minstrel, Sep 25, 2004 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  14. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    With any systems there can be problems, however I wish to thank the DMOZ editors who give their time to the process.

I have submitted many sites to DMOZ and have had all but one listed. Have resubmitted and after six months will put in a query regarding site. The majority of editors appear to be hard working individual.

Thanks, again.

Shannon

Smyrl, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  15. leer

leer Peon

Best Answers:
    minstrel I see that your whole attitiude is one to critise ODP and its editors for being arrogant and such like yet you fail to see that you are portraying the very same attitude yourself.

You are saying thoroughtout this forum what should and should not be said - just like what ODP says should and should not be put on their site and forum.

I did not pick up the mud and start throwing it. I did not start a thread saying webmasters are blah blah blah. If you are going to accept people, including yourself, to throw abusive remarks and comments in one direction don't get on your high horse when you end up facing some yourself.

leer, Sep 25, 2004 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    No I am saying that ODP is a misnomer - that it is not an "open" directory and people who submit to it and/or promote it should be aware of that. DMOZ can do whatever it wants. But "ODP"/DMOZ is a set of bookmarks, no more, no less. And it's, in my opinion, a much overrated set of bookmarks at that. Let's not pretend any different.

I did not start the thread either. I also don't see how my remarks are "abusive" or "mudslinging", not even the one you quote. "Ask for a refund" is not helpful at all. It is, however, typical of the responses of DMOZ editors, as the other poster observed. If you feel abused when I point that out, may I suggest that you reflect upon how you believed that would be a helpful response to any of the questions or criticisms raised in this thread or elsewhere? Indeed, it is comments like "Ask for a refund" that provide evidence supportive of those who complain about DMOZ and fodder for further dissatisfaction with the directory.

17. leer

leer Peon

Best Answers:
    <yawn> I may 'also' be ane editor but I am also a human individual with my own life outside of ODP so ODP dont speak for me and vice versa.

Whether I say get a refund or get lost - what has it got to do with ODP? The only thing it has to do with ODP is that you cling onto the remark with both hands and try and use it as an extra pityful excuse to prove a point which concerns noone but the people whom DMOZ do not serve in the first place.

leer, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  18. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Proving the point yet again and apparently not even realizing it...

19. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, let's voice our comments and feedback about the ODP/DMOZ at the organ grinder not the monkeys - but where are the organ grinders? As a business (yes I know your a volunteer editor - but DMOZ/ODP is a business) you should listen to peoples comments, and feedback and bear that in mind.

Instead people go to the forum and are in my opinion treated like idiots by egotistic individuals who think they are above it all. Let's get the real people who run out here and let them answer the questions that many many people have to ask.

DarrenC, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Sadly, that won't help a bit. On occasion, the "organ grinders" as you put it do come out to reply on behalf of the "monkeys" but all they'll give you is the same song the "monkeys" sing -- which makes sense, if you think about it... who do you think composed those songs?