1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ and the Dead Men of Dunharrow

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by natwillis, Sep 13, 2011.

In J.R.R. Tolkein's "The Return of the King", as adapted for the screen by Peter Jackson, Aragon, Legolas, and Gimli head down the Dimholt Road, where they come to a doorway that leads into the mountain. Legolas translates the signs carved above it's arch...
    Despite the warning the three enter, and eventually come to a huge, apparently empty, cavern. Soon however the cavern is filled with the an army of fearsome ghosts with eyeless sockets, rotting flesh, ghoulish faces, rusted weapons, and tattered banners - the Dead Men of Dunharrow.

The king of these warrior wraiths looms over Aragon, belching forth the words...
    To me there is something strangely familiar about this scene, and it springs to mind whenever I have any dealings with DMOZ.

About once a year, for the several years, I have attempted to get sites listed in DMOZ. I follow the guidelines to the letter, I do not submit the same site more than once, and wait patiently for something to happen.

But to me it seems that "The way is shut", and given the deathly silence that follows, I am starting to believe that indeed "It was made by those who are dead, and the Dead keep it."

A couple of years ago I thought perhaps the category I was applying in simply did not have an editor, so I applied. I filled in the form, accurately and honestly, but got no response whatsoever. I was neither accepted, nor rejected. Just a cavernous silence - "The way is shut".

About a year ago, I tried again, with the same non-result - "It was made by those who are dead, and the Dead keep it".

I tried going into the DMOZ forums to get some answers, but those editors who do respond are incredibly defensive. Some tell you you are just out of luck. Others go as far as to say they want to get rid of submission altogether, much as the King of the Dead snarls at Aragon...
    Aragon fortunately was Isildur's heir, but I do not have the sword Anduril.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
    natwillis, Sep 13, 2011 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This thread should be stickied next to the other one... lol

In the ODP that would likely be Skrenta's heir, and the sword the bot that listed TOPIX ;)

Qryztufre, Sep 13, 2011 IP