1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ - Adult Content in a Private Section Question

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by JPetrillo, Apr 8, 2009.

Quick question... say you had a website which had a forum and on the forum there was a separate "Adults Only" section for 18+ years old.

Say this section is visible to all users and guests so that anyone could see that the "Adults Only" form exists (when looking at the main forum home page), but all you were able to see was "Private" and you couldn't actually get into that section without making a request and having an Administrator grant you access individually.

Would this website not be accepted into DMOZ because of the private "Adults Only" section?

JPetrillo, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  2. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    makrhod, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  3. JPetrillo

JPetrillo Peon

Best Answers:
    So do you know if that means they would put the website in their Adult section on DMOZ just because of that one private section... even if the rest of the website had nothing to do with Adult related content?

JPetrillo, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  4. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought I had answered that question when I wrote, "Sites with Adult content are listed only in http://www.dmoz.org/Adult/ ."
    I'm not sure how much more I can explain, but I'll try.

If a site has Adult content, then DMOZ aims to protect its users by listing the site only in the Adult part of the directory. It doesn't matter if the Adult content represents 5%, 33% or 100% of the site.

makrhod, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What constitutes adult content? A few vulgar words? Nudity? Graphic violence?

Qryztufre, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  6. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    jimnoble, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  7. JPetrillo

JPetrillo Peon

Best Answers:
    I removed the Adult section of the forum lol.

Thank you :)

JPetrillo, Apr 9, 2009 IP
  8. websys

websys Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am not judging your intentions , but just so you know , a site is evaluated many times .... both before your site is listed , and AFTER it is listed . :)

websys, Apr 16, 2009 IP
  9. JPetrillo

JPetrillo Peon

Best Answers:
    No worries LOL I'm not ever going to put it back either way... whether my site gets added to DMOZ or not, that section wasn’t working out anyways. I was the only one posting in it haha.

JPetrillo, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  10. rezax123

rezax123 Member

Best Answers:
    today i saw that section too and i was shocked. coz someone told that dmoz don't support adult sites. and as a adult webmaster i can't work there as a editor.

rezax123, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  11. photofox

photofox Active Member

Best Answers:
    How did you come to that conclusion? There is nothing wrong with editing categories with which you have an affiliation, so long as you are up-front about them when applying for additional editing permissions.

photofox, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  12. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh please are we going down this road again?

I applied for an editor 3 years ago and submitted an application 3 times and told them about websites that I didn't even own anymore and was still turned down with no reason.

Please don't apply to be an editor for a dead system. Start your own directory website, you will have more success, more relevant entries and can run it the way you want.
    Even in its death throes the 20 or so editors left at DMOZ think that they are some elite group and won't allow you in anyway, go find something else to do.

joeventura, Jan 12, 2012 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Me listing my own listable site keeps popping up in topics here, so it's clear that there is an issue with some editors doing it... but not others, so I guess I can see the confusion.

Qryztufre, Jan 12, 2012 IP