1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Display feed on a deployed application

Discussion in 'C#' started by DaDMan, Feb 23, 2007.

Hi all,
    I am wondering what would be the best way to actually display any sort of content, like feeds, news or updates ( content somehow.. ) on an application that's running on another server..
    Not too clear eh.. :D

Ex:
    I have a asp application and suppose it's deployed to 10 customers online.. on the index page or wherever I want to implement some news / information that they will see when they run the application. Those news would be managed by me on my server. Clearer now? So some sort of news from me on they're asp application..

What would you be implementing to acheive this in the best optimised way?
    xml feed?
    remote server call?
    something else?

Thanks for your input

DaDMan, Feb 23, 2007 IP
  2. ccoonen

ccoonen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can you just open up a DB port? then your web-app or application can make a Direct DB call from a remote database. Otherwise, create a WebService to make the connection. What kind of Database? I know mySQL has an ADO.NET Connector letting you connect remotely integrated right into .net... friggin sweet ;)

WebService would be the second option, and third would be purely to pass a well-formamed XML file.

ccoonen, Feb 23, 2007 IP
  3. DaDMan

DaDMan Guest

Best Answers:
    ccoonen, thanks for this input.
    As for the database , well currently building for sql server db.

It's funny because I would of gone with the xml file as for my first option, I was under the impression that this would be the less "ressource demanding" option and further more the quickest way. Can you develop a bit on why this would be your third choice ( if fact the last choice of them 3 ) ?

With the db port , suppose there is at one point thousands of your asp application running would'nt that be a massive loads of request upon your db therefore grabbing lots of ressources etc, and opening a db port, would'nt that lead to some potential security risk? Cause according that this is an asp application deployed on the customers server they then have the full sources also.

DaDMan, Feb 23, 2007 IP
  4. MarkusJ_NZ

MarkusJ_NZ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, I would implement an XML solution, simply because you don;t have to worry about opening ports etc Also, pretty much any application nowadays can read XML so if anything changes in the future you *hopefully* will not have to rewrite everything.

Regards
    Markus

MarkusJ_NZ, Feb 23, 2007 IP
  5. DaDMan

DaDMan Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks MarkusJ_NZ.

Any others would like to share how they would implement it?

DaDMan, Feb 24, 2007 IP