1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Disgruntled College Student

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by schmeg007, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hola,

I've been in the web site stuff for about 6 months now and have been learning more than I ever thought possible. I also know now that there are many years ahead of me if I want to learn everything so far that's caught my interests. Unfortunately I am currently enrolled in a rather respected Computer Science school that likes to own me night and day (40 hours in the lab last week) and I dont' really have the time I wished I had to dedicate to my online ventures.

-Schmeg, wants to drop out of school, but doesn't have the testicular fortitude to so do

schmeg007, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, you will learn infinitely more (and faster) than a college or university can teach you. At least that was the case for me.... Either way, glad to have you around... :)

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 5, 2004 IP
  3. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Hey Shawn, Didn't you drop out of college? Bet you regret it now, Dummy ;) !

ViciousSummer, Mar 18, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I hate you. :(

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Mar 18, 2004 IP
  5. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    I too have been tricked into going to college.
    And once your in you can't leave because then you gotta pay those loans off. Well ok, you can leave, but it sucks to think about those student loans.

I've been going to DeVry for a while and almost everything that I've learned about websites, computers, networking, internet, etc., has been self taught due to an actual interest in something. School has taught me things here and there, but nothing as useful as what I've been able to learn by myself.

Kinda sad when I think about it.
    But I've only got like 10 classes left :rolleyes: , but they are all general ed classes, which are waaaay boring. I took all my technical classes (Novel, CNA, Linux, TCP/IP etc.) as soon as I could because I actually wanted to learn those. Now I've passed through those classes and found out I could have learned all that and more if I'd taught myself via the Internet, plus I would've saved a bunch in books and tuition (sp?). :eek:

But at least some day I'll have a piece of paper that says I went to school. weeeeeeeee!!! :p

Such Great Heights, Mar 18, 2004 IP
  6. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Amen to that - school is ok for general topics but can never compete with what you can learn by doing.

I know - I'm in school and it's just about the most useless thing I do. I keep going though...have to pay off the loans 6 months after I'm done. I just want the piece of paper that says I'm smart:)

GuyFromChicago, Mar 18, 2004 IP
  7. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    School has been hell ever since I started learning about SEO and hanging out in these geeky forums. I have learned more here in 3 months, then my entire college career. But then again, I just graduated from Fashion Design school..."Like, oh my Gawd, your hair looks so cute today. It totally matches the polka dots in your skirt!"...I had an entire 3 hour class "discuss" what the stars wore to the oscars. Are you kidding me?!

Any how, my whole point is this: People that are the best at what they do, learn it by doing, not in some silly college class (for the most part). I had to start my own business because I couldn't stand one more boss with the IQ of a rock, that learned how to "boss" in college. ;)

ViciousSummer, Mar 19, 2004 IP
  8. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess we can all agree that college learning is entirely different then self learning.

It's that double edge sword where you need to know what you are doing with experience to back it up to have peple pay you for your skills. But you don't get that expereince in college, you just get a piece of paper that says you know how to learn, so that when people see that they are impressed.

I guess one option is to work for yourself. The Internet helps a lot for starting businesses, and SEO/SEM is just the best "free advertising" to learn.

Good luck to you all.

Such Great Heights, Mar 19, 2004 IP
  9. ginostylz

ginostylz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I got an associates degree in bussiness. I took up web classses and photoshop too for some electives. It didn't help out with seo, but I took me to another level inrunning my own bussiness.
    Now I'm going for my batchlors at a better school in a media arts program. 700/class and it was worth every penny and minute I spent. There's a huge difference between knowing how to use the $500 programs we play with and making them work very well for us. School enabled me to work from home, and quit my real job.

I think school isn't much, but the Google bussiness model isn't going to last forever. Search engines try to combat our SEO techniques every update.

ginostylz, Apr 25, 2004 IP
  10. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    I don't think they try and "combat" seo, they're just trying to deliver the most relevant results for the searcher is after.

SEO is just one element of on-line marketing, which isn't going away anytime soon.

GuyFromChicago, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  11. ginostylz

Best Answers:
    You can only stay at the top so long!

ginostylz, Apr 26, 2004 IP
  12. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    Being "at the top" is only part of the equation.

As a said in my last post, SEO should be a part of your in-line marketing strategy.

In your last post you mention the "Google business model" and that it won't last forever. Can you elaborate on this a little?

13. ginostylz

Best Answers:
    Sure, using Google is a great bussiness model. Do what tactics that need to be done to get on top to acheive traffic.
    has anyone done a search on google for miserable failure? Look who's on top. Miserable failure is no where to be found on this page, so it's pretty obvious that it is all imbound links.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=miserable+failure

14. ginostylz

Best Answers:
    If you swap links with the right people, buy enough inbound links then It is easy to get the traffic.
    Google is the only one that is really completely free to do well in.

15. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    Ok, I see what you're saying. "Google's business model" and "Google as part of your business model" are two different things, just wanted to make sure I knew where you were coming from.

I think everyone optimizes for Google because it's one of the most popular SE's, and pages that rank well, in Google tend to rank well in Yahoo and MSN. While this isn't law, it's certainly a good guideline for optimizing. Optimize for the most "difficult" SE, and the others should fall into place.

Using Google should be a part of your marketing strategy, but not all of it. Relying on only one means of generating business/leads is dangerous. Something about all your eggs in one basket….

SEO will be around for the long haul. As long as people use SE's to find things, SEO's will be around tweaking pages to "make the cut".

16. ginostylz

Best Answers:
    SEO and SEM are both great, but the degree is a great backup for the long haul. I case we all need to get "real jobs". LOL
    I make a living on what I do on the net, but if that crashes I'm not going to go back to delivering pizza and selling cars. Not that delivering pizza is bad, I just don't want to need to go back to it.
    School may not be the place to go to learn SEO or web design, but it could give you a little culture and make you a little more well rounded indivisual.

17. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    I am going to an on-line school :D No culture required.

18. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Stuff they attempt to teach you at uni here is outdated by the time you hand in the essay or report. Makes you feel like a monkey, taught an awful lot of complicated tricks you will never use once released into the real, non-academic, world / life.

Most degrees imo are just a piece of paper which tells you you have passed the endurance test. Well hey hey congrats you succeeded in sitting on your backside for 3 years learning what they want you to know. And no I haven't chosen the wrong degree. It was interesting but could have studied it myself in under 50% of the time using the rest of the precious time for more important and emotionally and financially rewarding stuff.

T0PS3O, Apr 29, 2004 IP
  19. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:

ginostylz, Right on!

No potential employer is going to think that what you learned in school is going to help their company. Anybody that has gone through school themselves, knows better.

BUT, the fact that you have a degree means the pot has withstood the kiln, per se. It tells a potential employer that you had what it takes to stick with it. To apply yourself, to follow rediculous rules, to comply with rediculous demands. You were instructed to learn something and you did so to at least satisfactory standards. It shows character.

I have been a hiring manager. I know that there are many jobs that are available only to those with some sort of advanced degree. It did not matter how qualified a candidate was, if he did not have a degree, he did not qualify for the job.

I am speaking as a college graduate that ended up going back to college as an adult. I graduated with a BA exactly 20 years after I graduated high school.

Do I use my degree today? Not directly.
    Do I use anything today that I learned in college? Most likely NO.
    Would I do it over again? In a New York Minute! :D

mcdar, Apr 30, 2004 IP
  20. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    I know that having a degree is required for many jobs, but I still think it is a silly and outdated practice. I know this because I've been more qualified (in every way, except for having a degree) then almost every boss I've ever had. I've heard all the excuses for why a degree is required ("Sticking out college shows dedication..."), but what if an extremely smart, qualified person can not afford college? Is it fair to hold them back? I hit that wall working corporate america, so rather then boring myself with college, I started my own business.
    :D . Any how, just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents!

ViciousSummer, May 2, 2004 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.