1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Discussing about DirBull.com

Discussion in 'Directories' started by suwandichen13, Jan 19, 2013.

1. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I know it's a challenge getting directory owners involved. Some fear retaliation, while others simply treat their directories as a hobby. I believe there are others outside of the directory industry that would care. Internet marketing organizations, who are the largest spenders at directories, would be interested in which directories they should avoid. Some tech media outlets would also have an interest in how pagerank is once again being abused.

It sucks that you took the time to call an organization with a hacked website and received a cold response. The person you spoke to was likely a frontline employee who had little interest in doing anything outside of her core duties. What would I do? If possible I would try to go above her head. I'd look for executive level contacts if the organization is that big. If it's a smaller enterprise, ask for a manager, supervisor or someone above her that cares. It's easy for me to say this. If you are making these cold contacts regularly, and greeted with such responses, I can see how it would wear someone down out of frustration.

We don't need more people involved. We need the right people involved - like a Google Knowledge Team employee. Press releases might sound like a waste of money but if the right people follow the story a Google employee might just catch wind of what's going on. Using the right Adwords campaign, which seems really far fetched by many, could cause a manual review of the ad by a Google employee. Yes, I think outside the box and have other ideas as well.

An algorithmic solution is what is needed as you eluded to previously. Hidden links should be easy to detect algorithmically, but that just is not happening. Hopefully Google is already on top of this network and working out an algorithmic solution to end it once and for all. Until that happens, I can only assume that most of our webspam reports are waiting in a very long line to be reviewed.

As we patiently await Google's ban hammer to fall on this entire network, I'm going to think outside the box once again in an effort to make more noise. I'll send Google a letter with references to this thread and the one on V7N. Both threads contain plenty of useful information. Google's address is below if anyone else wants to see if snail mail gets read faster then our webspam reports.

Google
    Attn: Google Knowledge Team
    1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy
    Mountain View, CA 94043

Have a good day/night. :)

[​IMG]

snowbird, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  2. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google have actioned a number of the reports. They tag sites with "this site may be compromised", if the hacked links aren't removed before they come knocking. Quite a few have been tagged this way.

They have also dished out mass PR drops to some of the feeder sites as a result of either webspam or paid link reports. Which in turn should hit the wider network as the drops propagate.

Cold calling works because it gets the quickest response/action of all. It is why myself and others have engaged in it. It assists the site owner in not getting tagged as compromised by Google, as well as getting rid of the link regardless of Google's intervention or lack thereof.

I highlighted the disinterested response example to show that it isn't always smooth sailing. That, even those directly involved, can be difficult to convince that it affects them. Even when it is their site that has been hacked and compromised.

I highly doubt internet marketers care. Again, they voice disapproval in public, whilst engaging in high PR backlink buying in private. To pretend otherwise is complete ignorance. I don't swim in that stream. I'm blunt and I won't sugarcoat.

In terms of results (in regards to contacting site owners), something like 35 sites have removed blocks of hacked links from their sites. Some have had as many as 14 links per block. It's literally hundreds of links.

I appreciate you contacting them directly via a different method, that is genuine help, let's hope it also garners a response.

silencer, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  3. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Are they trying to preserve their network by blocking GBot? Is their line of thought that Google can't deindex what is not indexed?

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /
    Code (markup):
    I see it is now present on many of their directories.

snowbird, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  4. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I think there are a few other factors here that need mentioning.

1. Most people who list in this network know full well what's going on and do so because of the possibility of a real short term PR boost. So raising awareness with this crowd is probably not the answer.

2. There are literally tons of these PR directory ranking sites out there that have these sites listed and invite people to use them. Asking them to remove these is also not the answer. There are too many of these sites and I doubt you're going to find the site owners interested in doing so.

3. Google as they have grown and divested into multiple areas are completely disinterested in dealing with such a small time market of abuse. If its not hurting their bottom line, I doubt you'll find anyone interested in doing something about it. As of late Google struggles to keep MFA, Dead Links, and Hacked Sites out of their index. What makes anyone think they are going to care about a directory site that is using hacked sites to drive its PR north?

4. As was mentioned by snowbird, most Directory Owners out there fear retribution. We know once we say something we will have people coming out of the wood works picking apart every aspect of our own work in order to discredit us or cause us harm. Hell, we've already seen that with MENJ attacking my directory here in this thread. Personally I could give a crap. My directories are a hobby and not my lifes blood, nor are they the primary revenue generators in my business. I simply enjoy working on them and contributing to the community. That's probably why you'll never see $50 or $100 submission fees from me...

Ultimately I think the solution lay in one key area. The sites/networks themselves. Removing their ability to generate PR and removing their ability to be indexed. There are few ways to accomplish this.

1. Report to the owners of the hacked web sites, as some have been doing. Get those links removed. Calling, emailing, or (and I am not condoning this) hacking the links OUT of the sites and closing the hole FOR the site owner.

2. Report the directories to the ISP's that host them. Whether it be DMCA notices, reporting their hacking activities, whatever. Remove their ability to host their site.

In the end, I think this whole issue offers a great bit of evidence to the numerous case studies on the affects of directory links and whether or not Penguin REALLY caused harm to web sites listed in Directories.

If it did, whey then are hidden links having such a positive impact? You're going to tell me that Google is really discounting directory links, is penalizing sites listed in directories, but is completely unable to discount the very directory network that has obtained false PR from hacked foreign web sites?

There's a huge contradiction at work here.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    Mia, Feb 22, 2013 IP
    silencer likes this.
  5. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:

Nice! I worked just walking distance from there last year. Used to go to the Starbucks on Pear Ave at least once per week. M

dvduval, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  6. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wish I could have hand delivered the letter for more than one reason. Snow, freezing rain and then it turned to rain. Life in the rust belt has its advantages, but the weather is certainly not one of them!

snowbird, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  7. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with all your points. Directory owners should fear no retribution from me. I've seen in my meanderings what could be considered vast quantities of grey marketing. That stuff doesn't even raise an eyebrow. Even people who think they have something to fear by my intense scrutinising of the industry need not do so.

I'm not interested in crusading against every little thing. Those are topics best left for blogging and forum discussions, and used in an educational capacity rather than a threat from above. Though, in saying that, when discussed the messages should be heeded.

My interest in this venture lies solely in the illegality at play. The nature and sheer magnitude of it galvanises me to do something to cleanse it from the industry. If you aren't involved or associated then you have absolutely nothing to be afraid of :)

Our focus quickly shifted to what you've stated based on two reasons:
    1. Endlessly chasing hundreds of URLs and building lists of them was a waste of everyone's time.
    2. Link removal equals results.

By taking charge/action, we take the time lag and lack of control out of waiting for Google to do something.

This is a very poignant statement, and goes to the heart of what I said earlier regarding public vocalising of a problem, whilst privately those same "interested parties" (marketers, seos, whatever you want to call them) are grinning from ear to ear.

For all this talk people go on with the fact remains that links matter. Links are it. People want high PR links because as Matt said from his very own lips, in one of his latest videos. People use PR as a trust measurement.

So, unscrupulous types, use under-handed methods to manipulate PR such that they have an amount of trust that is not proportionate with the site they are offering. That they obtain the trust via illegal methods (hacking) just shows how worthless PR really is in terms of a trust measurement. The higher PR sites, in many cases, are the ones you should be triple-checking because they have trust issues, NOT implicit trust.

silencer, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  8. OrlandoFL

OrlandoFL Member

Best Answers:
    When your a PR7 site & your selling links even for a regular listing I don't think that looks very good.

OrlandoFL, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  9. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can still get the whole bunch of the network here ........................nobody can escape the archive..:p

http://web.archive.org/web/20130114082950/http://dircut.com/

I can still find many PR7/6/5 directories of the network maintaining the PR with-out being noticed/punished by Google. If one is to check their backlinks ---- they are linked from only 05-15 root URLs/DOMAINS and one or two high PR sites.:eek:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    jhnrang, Mar 4, 2013 IP
    arrisweb likes this.
  10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    This will escape it:
    in your robots.txt

User-agent: ia_archiver
    Disallow: /

Mia, Mar 4, 2013 IP
    arrisweb likes this.
  11. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:

The new incarnation of dircut is idirectorylist.com - thought I posted that somewhere but maybe not.

swedal, Mar 4, 2013 IP
    arrisweb likes this.
  12. arrisweb

arrisweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    nice, every directory domain name begin with "dir" also these "dirs" have more google link then alexa link

arrisweb, Mar 4, 2013 IP
  13. Ellys Kho

Ellys Kho Guest

Best Answers:
    dude. there's have a huge gap on Selling links & Paid for listing.
    Selling links that change 100% approved. not for Paid For listing. there's need pass editorial term first then you got listing.

Ellys Kho, Mar 5, 2013 IP
  14. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    He's created quite a little scam for himself here. A network of sites and a site that lists the network of sites under the guise of being a "directory of directories". Only problem is, they are all his directories.

Mia, Mar 6, 2013 IP
  15. vna1611

vna1611 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Amazing info here...
    thnx all for sharing.
    Regards

vna1611, Mar 20, 2013 IP
  16. snakeair

snakeair Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Geez, I didn't know they created a new website. The owner must be an idiot.

snakeair, Mar 20, 2013 IP
  17. Forumdirectory

Forumdirectory Notable Member

Best Answers:
    dircut was banned by google,so build one new site.

Forumdirectory, Mar 20, 2013 IP
  18. Forumdirectory

Forumdirectory Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your mean so many pr5-pr7 paid directories are same person's site?

Forumdirectory, Mar 20, 2013 IP
  19. arrisweb

arrisweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think he must be happy, everyone is talking about his dirs, that's a free advertising :oops:

arrisweb, Mar 21, 2013 IP
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Ya think?

Mia, Mar 21, 2013 IP