1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Discrepancy with conversions: Adwords & Google Analytics

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Jaalstar, Jun 23, 2016.

Hello,

I am seeing a discrepancy between Adwords and Google Analytics in the amount of conversions being generated by my paid ad campaigns.

I am seeing MORE conversions in GA vs. what I am seeing in Adwords. This is making it difficult to optimize my accounts in Adwords since I'm not sure what kw's are actually converting.

Originally, I set my Adwords conversions so that they counted a number of different Goal Conversions in GA. But, I recently changed how Adwords should count a 'conversion' so that it only counts 'Transactions.'

However, the number of Transactions I see in Adwords-->Conversion Actions view does not match what I see in Google Analytics e-commerce transactions view. Even more odd, the number of Transactions (Conversions) I see in Adwords-->Conversion Actions view doesn't even match the number of conversions seen under the 'All Campaign' view in Adwords.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

Jaalstar, Jun 23, 2016 IP
  2. Erin Taylor

Erin Taylor Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Just learnt it on the Internet, haha. Hope it helps :)
    "Goals in Analytics count a completion at the exact time a visitor reaches the goal completion URL location. For example: a prospect fills out the lead generation form and is taken to the /thank-you.html page to receive the white paper download – at that moment that action is counted.

This is unlike AdWords conversion tracking which attributes ‘the win’ to the time of the last ad click BEFORE conversion. Meaning a person clicks an ad, bookmarks the landing page, clicks off the site but within 30 days came back to the website via bookmark and filled out the lead generation form – that original click on that ad (even though the success action happened days later), was just attributed as a conversion.

Analytics would have counted that action as a non-paid goal completion since the visitor left the site and their last action BEFORE the conversion was by clicking on the bookmark, which brought them to the landing page, but not from an ad."

Erin Taylor, Jul 11, 2016 IP