1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Discrepancy between serp and traffic from se

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Zinho, Mar 5, 2005.

Greetings...
    after some months of work I finally got my good position number 6 on google on a keyword which Shawn's kw suggestion tool says it's searched 1700 times on overture....but I'm getting just 3 or 4 viitors from google everyday....
    I want to clarify that my position is stable since a week now and I've not noticed any increase in traffic from the search engine. Isn't this strange? or I am too paranoid?
    Has anyone made such study before? I would be interested into understanding what percentage of searches turns into traffic according to a ranking position...
    Thanks in advance

Zinho, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i recently has a blog entry which is shown i overture to have some 3700 hits/day
    - with G serps 1 i get some 200 hits per day on that post
    hence
    lots of others getting a piece of that cake as well
    there is enough for all - it may as well depend on the precise title and discription that is shown on the G results - they too need to attract and offer the solutions and KIND / nature of information /product/service people are actually searching for.

for example
    "car tires"
    even if you would be #1 in G or Y or MSN means nothing at all to a surfer
    you still have plenty of additional options / relevancy-requirements to meet to be actually attractive - such as:

buy, trade, sale, import, export, paint, redo, recycle, free, wholesale, retail, repair, counseling, price, quality, colors, region, ...
    you see what i want to say ?!

one or two keywords in #1 still needs the other 90% of the possible variations to be truly RELEVANT for the surfer getting that Google result with you on top or among top 10.

such is valid almost any service or product offered
    hence precise description tag and title tag need to have sufficient details to allow precise selection of the most relevant site - and if you offer honest details and the surfer searches something different - then there is little you can do except expand your offers to include all varieties of that product or service to meet the needs and demand by as many potential customers as possible - and all such variations of product or service would have to be clearly visible in the few lines shown on G / Y results

hans, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  3. Zinho

Zinho Peon

Best Answers:
    yes I see...
    the title is what gets more exposition in the search page but we know that the description is not taken from the meta but from the page.
    I see that the first words are taken as a sample of the page...what if these words are not explanatory of your page?
    Is there a position or a place in which I should place these words to?

Zinho, Mar 6, 2005 IP
  4. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the title meta tag itself can already be descriptive - the first 60 or so characters always are displayed in G results
    i also see much of my description tag displayed in the SE results -ö however it requires that there are the search keywords and phrases contained
    and to the beginning of that page:
    of course you have to adapt it to be directly relevant to the 3page content and descriptive of the goal of the page - you have to motivate readers WHY to read on - else they may skipo to the NEXT site
    if there is no sense in the first few lines - how do you expect the readers to continue reading ALL page

the first few lines are
    H1 / H2
    and either a list or paragrapf with a brief overview what the page is going to be
    then readers know from top what to expect and if that is what they wanted

if then from top of text a line or 2 are displayed in G / Y search results
    then surfers see from the results whether that site is relevant

hans, Mar 6, 2005 IP