1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Disappointed with Reputed Directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by jl255, Apr 15, 2008.

1. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes they do an0n, for example, we sell body-building protein powder, the customer complains that it never gave him the muscles he thought it would, the fact that it has been tested geographically and demographically on 20,000 people and found to enhance 99% of the time then it isn't the product at fault and no refund is deserved. In essence the only time a refund is legally required to be provided is if the product is either of inferior quality, or unsuitable for the purpose intended.

If the seller sells a product in good faith and they support this with a clear refund policy then they in no way are compelled to provide a refund. You can check the law on that an0n I'm 100% certain I'm correct on that one.

The essence of the argument is that it all boils down to the refund policy presented prior to purchase in which case it will always be the case of buyer beware.

JamieG, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  2. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am 100% certain of it by ways of GNC. In fact I returned one on my bottles because two capsules popped inside and wet all of the others.
    So that is why I excluded health stores, as gnc falls into that category. Are they the only one? maybe so, but nonetheless, they offer refund or replacement depending on consumer.

Now with jewelry stores; not in all my days have I ever seen anyone able to return successfully, which is why I stated thats a great example.

an0n, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  3. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Personally,if someone ask me for a refund on a reoccurring link sell or directory inclusion(my are permenant,not yearly)i would go ahead and refund the money,tell buyer to cancel the subscription and delete the link.

templates, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  4. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    A cut diamond and a directory listing aren't equivalent, regardless of what some people charge for listings ;)

Lexiseek, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  5. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Truth be told, just about every product or service is returnable under the right conditions. Anon was certainly due a refund for vitamins that were unusable - the damage would have been impossible to identify without opening the bottle first, normally cause for not returning edible products.

As much as they didn't want to, a jewelry store did give me a full refund when the watch they sold me simply would not work despite two rounds to their repair shop. So again, there are times when a reputable business is just going to have to give that refund to the customer no matter how badly they don't want to.

However, our comparing a physical product against a service is a bit of apples and oranges.

Suppose I have an agreement, maybe even a contract, with someone to mow my lawn this season. If I move before the season is over, is it reasonable to expect me to continue paying for the grass to be mowed for the new homeowner? Of course in this situation, one would hope that there is some sort of 'out clause' in the contract that allows for that sort of thing. But what happens when there isn't?

The problem here and with most directories offering premium advertising or paid listings on an recurring/subscription basis is that most have not done their due diligence and posted a terms of service or policy page that makes it clear to the customer how, if and when they can cancel their subscription. This is certainly not a case of a print advertising campaign being killed after the piece has been printed. Everyone here knows how easy it is to delete/downgrade a listing.

Just like that lawn mower could stick it to me and compel me to pay out the season, would it not be much more to their advantage to let me drop out of the contract and work at getting the new homeowner as a customer? Think I'm going to give the new homeowner a ringing endorsement of the lawn mower if I have to pay out the season? Think that new homeowner is going to want to mess with someone who does business like that?

I haven't visited Aviva in a while, so I do not know if their policy is clearly stated. Since no one has quoted it here, I suspect this issue is indeed not clearly defined.

If we directory owners want to consider ourselves part of an "industry" we better darn well learn how to do business. And this whole exchange once again proves that we are failing in that regard. I greatly suspect that this now 4-page thread will cost Jeff much more business than that subscription by the OP could ever be worth.

I hope he too (should he ever view this thread) will learn something from this experience.

YMC, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  6. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    Right on Aviva's web page it says that they have a staff of editors constantly scouring the web for new high quality websites. Therefore, if you have a quality website, there's no need to pay, let alone renew. Hell, they'll find you soon enough.

Lexiseek, Apr 17, 2008 IP
    swedal and Brian1970 like this.
  7. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    There will always be an instance when your entitled to a refund and most good stores including ours would always give a refund under those circumstances. Sadly people can often try it on, we had one customer in one of our larger branches come in with what looked like a simple return of a bulk tub of Protein Powder. It looks sealed as new and it was only by sheer fluke that the tub fell on the floor the lid fell off and out came plaster of paris (the thing you make casts for broken arms) in there.

I suppose it doesn't matter what you sell, you'll always get your chancer's both as customers and as sellers.

I'll p.m you with what one customer done to get money back an0n, you'd be amazed.

JamieG, Apr 18, 2008 IP