1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Disappointed with Reputed Directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by jl255, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    My business was established in 1991 (the whole business, not just directories). And what I learned in those nearly two decades of doing business with people is ALWAYS, always, ALWAYS, be quick with refunds to anyone who doesn't want your service.

In the end it creates goodwill and repeat customers. The people who don't want to pay you and want refunds will always plague you and be more trouble than they're worth.

Companies that don't offer refunds are a joke.

Lexiseek, Apr 16, 2008 IP
    humm likes this.
  2. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Companies such as Yahoo, Best of the Web and Business.com?

swedal, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  3. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    Three of the biggest jokes on the Internet, all in one sentence.

Yes, those three should also offer refunds. Instead they offer $300 annual website "reviews".

BTW, I certainly did get a refund from Yahoo when they renewed a domain I didn't want a listing on. I called some 800 number and they put it back on my credit card.

4. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For them to be such big jokes your business must be huge. What was its name? :)

swedal, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  5. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Godaddy sent me a reminder about my automatic renewal which I went in an canceled. This is the way a business should be run. A business that attempts to "trap" a customer, as many do, is one that I stay away from.

Rich

richrf, Apr 16, 2008 IP
    Lexiseek likes this.
  6. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure I understand your statement. Why would my business need to be be big in order to have an opinion on Yahoo?

Tell me, since you seem to be in the mood to pick a fight with me, do you have many listings in Yahoo that you renew for $299 each year?

Also, are the websites in your signature your websites?

7. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not trying to pick a fight at all. I am just trying to better understand your statement.

You referred to Yahoo and Business.com as a joke. They are fairly large and successful companies so I was thinking it might be coming from a company the size of google or something.

It helps put the comments in perspective for me.

No I don't have listings with Yahoo but I have renewing listings in other directories.

And yes the sites in my sig are my own. I have no need to rent out the space.

swedal, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  8. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    oh wow... I wonder for how long every one on here will kiss aviva's (and others like alive) a** If Aviva was so reputable, they would refund or at least respond in the sake of their credibility.

I mean, how long does it take to find and remove a listing through phpld, 1 minute? Its not like the OP bought a listing and backed out, and its not like he was notified about the upcoming bill (its very easy to forget after a year)

P.S. now to all that will try to jump on me, i know that we all have our own "shady" details, and nobody needs to remind anyone about anything, this thread is about aviva directory. now look at my green, i have a brilliant future!

aspidov, Apr 16, 2008 IP
    Lexiseek and Brian1970 like this.
  9. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You do indeed have a brilliant future aspidov!

swedal, Apr 16, 2008 IP
    aspidov likes this.
  10. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    Staying away from rep crying babies and english phd guru's, Speaking on the issue;

We all make mistakes, jl did the same, and probably it isn't a mistake! Its simple ignorance one can surely forget things after 1year.

When renewal is coming, one needs to send a prior notification. Whichever site owner doesn't follow this principle is surely not developing the right portal.

If one is talking about being reputed, fair, famous or whatever, I believe he should also have the right working system too wherein the end user is comfortable and sees fair actions.

humm, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  11. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    Of course you don't have a Yahoo listing. No one in their right mind that has ever even visited this forum would own such a thing.

Yahoo as a company runs the number one website on the internet. However, it should be obvious to all that their directory is no longer a big part of their revenue. In fact, their Directory tab doesn't even appear on their main navigation anymore. It is listed under "more." The directory listing service they sell (which competes with ones offered by you and I both), is extremely expensive at $299 per year, auto renewed on credit cards.

You want to know the joke part? They don't drop the listing if you don't pay. I have 5 or 6 listings I paid for once, refused to renew and are still there. All in all, their directory is a bit of a joke.

As to Business.com, I really have no clue what their deal is. BOTW, I thought, was run by a couple of guys from WMW, so I didn't realize people thought there of some great stature.

Lastly, Aviva, the point of the thread, has been accused of being rude and not refunding people before. If you take a look at both his Alexa bar, and the comments he's getting around here, you can see the type of effect its having on his business. I remember the last time I commented on Aviva, some fat chick also came in and attacked my business, so I'm not sure what's driving any of you to defend him.

In any event, the original poster can still dispute with PayPal and he'll surely get his money back. Failing that, he can try the attorney general, the BBB, or whatever the equivalent is in Canada. Failing that, he can always remain bitter and go around slamming Aviva wherever he goes. That won't get him his money back, but it will cause the directory owner some pain and lost money.

Hopefully this clarifies my thoughts. Plus, just for the sake of accuracy, your comparison is unfair because Yahoo does indeed refund people when asked.

12. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Reasons to refund:

1. To protect your paypal account, or whatever payment processor you may be using.
    2. Because just one person can do a lot of damage, going around running your name into the ground.
    3. Because the internet leaves a stinky trace of all the bad things that you dont want your customers to see.
    4. Because a refunded customer will usually calm down, they may not use you again, but you would be suprised how many forgive and feel ok with it after they get their money back.
    5. If you give a refund then a happy person will go around and spread the good word for you, you get free promotion and put confidence in future potential customers.

Refunding is good :) you will probably make more money long term by always refunding where you should than holding onto something that the customer feels you shouldn't.

pipes, Apr 16, 2008 IP
    1 person likes this.
  13. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Off topic: I agree with you on this. Definitely not the brightest of posts by mikey.

On topic: I've been hit with subscriptions in excess of xxx-xxxx and realized my irresponsibility cost me. I accept it and move on.

I did discuss this with OP via Y! messenger prior to thread and just gave my .o2 in that; each directory owner is an individual entity, and with regards to that, the policies will be 'individually based'. Some will some won't, and whatever the outcome may be, just learn to accept the irresponsibility and grow.

In my personal view of it all, it's an outrage to cry foul especially when you go in accepting that (keywords) 'yearly subscription', knowing it will come around in another 365. That's something that should be noted in some sort of personal agenda book/file.

an0n, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  14. iceberg

iceberg Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think Jeff enjoys controversies & negative marketing. Otherwise he would have refunded earlier to avoid this. I also faced the same problem a few months back though it was monthly subscriptions. As soon as I noticed that the advertiser asked for a refund, I clicked the refund button immediately.

I dont know what is business ethics, terms & conditions (those are too heavy words for me, and I always give more importance on the 'feel good' factor), but I feel if a refund can make someone happy, then why not do it?

ok, now its time to check my paypal subscriptions thoroughly. Cheers.

iceberg, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  15. vitalous

vitalous Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, you did make a mistake. And, yes, you did learn from it. But, your mistake wasn't in forgetting to cancel a subscription. The mistake was dealing with this outfit in the first place. Once you are a paying customer you CAN'T make a mistake. Any business that doesn't refund in a case like this isn't a business at all.

Thanks for starting this post.

vitalous, Apr 17, 2008 IP
    YMC likes this.
  16. Artifexus

Artifexus Guest

Best Answers:
    These are very good points - spot on! Customers get it wrong sometimes. Oftentimes, even. But customers don't want to feel trapped into a service or locked in. When they want to opt out, they want to be able to opt out. Unless the business has expended 'considerable' effort or resources, the best thing to do in the long run is refund. Some refund even if they have expended considerable resources. I'm sure you've heard of Zappos: http://www.zappos.com/cs_return.zhtml

People take advantage of it. But people also remark upon the excellent return policy, and are thankful to be able to get a refund if they think they need one or want one.

Artifexus, Apr 17, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  17. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Some good points but too strict? My Family own Jewellery Stores and Health Stores, a customer buys earrings, the instant they buy them there is no refund, because of health risks, the health foods the same principle. I couldn't count the times that people tried it on wearing the earrings for a party only to come back on the monday to get their money back, saying 'they didn't like them'. You name it they gave excuses.

The fact of the matter is that if you have a refund policy in place for or against, you must make the customer aware of it before they buy. If you do that then the customer is never right because they've been made aware of the refund policy.

Companies that offer a refund for the sake of it are a joke Lexiseek, the one's who exercise discretion are the one's to be respected.

JamieG, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  18. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Health stores don't fall into that category. ex. GNC - if you are not satisfied you can bring it back and they will refund and/or replace, depending on what you want.

One really really good point is the jewelry store. It's a fact. no refunds after you leave that store.

an0n, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  19. jminscoe

jminscoe Peon

Best Answers:
    and Mike you were not the only one I have refunded when asked as I feel it better as you or others may want to do business again in the future

jminscoe, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  20. jminscoe

jminscoe Peon

Best Answers:
    and Mike you were not the only one I have refunded on a recurring payment when asked as I feel it better as you or others may want to do business again in the future

jminscoe, Apr 17, 2008 IP