1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory software : eSyndiCat

Discussion in 'Directories' started by ahmadfarhan, May 22, 2008.

1. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    The question is for anyone who knows the answers loredan, thanks for bringing the thread back on track. :)

Are you saying that esydicat has compatibility issues or is it phpld you are on about?

JamieG, May 24, 2008 IP
  2. loredan

loredan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was talking about eSyndicat...haven't installed any phpld recently so I have no idea if they also have the same problems

loredan, May 24, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  3. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes they do according to one of the threads on here. I think they have found some level of a solution though, it should be applicable to most php scripts but you might need to check that out.

The upgrade of php to php5+ has caught lots of directory scripts out if that's any consolation to people.

JamieG, May 24, 2008 IP
  4. loredan

Best Answers:
    Well, it seems that my phpld directory works without any problems with php 5.2.5 ...

loredan, May 24, 2008 IP
  5. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I haven't tried it to be honest, although I do have that version at hand so could I suppose. I was only going on this thread here perhaps its just variants of php I don't know. They'll sort it I'm sure.

JamieG, May 24, 2008 IP
  6. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    Still esyndicat works just fine. I also have it installed on 5.1.6 without a problem.

enQuira, May 24, 2008 IP
  7. loredan

Best Answers:
    It won't work on 5.2.6 , Tarek

I have installed the script on two different domains. Once the installation completed I got a blank page saying "Error occured. Please see the logs or report an error to the administrator"

I've changed 5.2.6 with 4.4.4 at one of the sites and it works just fine. The other one is still on 5.2.6, still with the same blank page, I can PM you the URL if you don't believe me.

loredan, May 24, 2008 IP
  8. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't dispute that mhamdi. Many times its often just the server configuration as opposed to the php itself. We came across one instance of it during the php upgrade, we found it wasn't the script or php itself but something to do with the way the server was set up.

In truth there's not much difference in the versions, certainly no reason to upgrade to php5. Most good hosts will also have no objection to dropping you back down to php4 to accommodate.

JamieG, May 24, 2008 IP
  9. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    enQuira, May 24, 2008 IP
  10. seomanualsubmission

seomanualsubmission Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i did not use also till now 5.2.6 :(

seomanualsubmission, May 24, 2008 IP
  11. Majnoon

Majnoon Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have few esyndicat directories on php 5.2.3 with no problems at all.

Majnoon, May 24, 2008 IP
  12. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    I can also confirm eSyndicat had issues with the latest build of php on my server - another one of the growing reasons why I moved to phpLynx, not to mention the fantastic support offered by their support team. With eSyndicat I was having to do database maintenance on an almost daily basis - categories forever showing the wrong values of links present, links forever 'disappearing' for no reason whatsoever, eSyndicat 2.2 is/was a nightmare and I'll never go back down that root, all will become clear in a few weeks, depending on how I fare in the Carribean:D I'm ready to go all out on it and show you all what phpLynx really can do. Watch this space.

Spider-Man, May 24, 2008 IP
  13. dog222

dog222 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Seeing as this thread is about "eSyndiCat", I'd like to post a few helpful links for other folks.

You can check out the demos here:
    http://www.esyndicat.com/demo.html
    The demo of the Pro Version, you can play around with. It will reset on the top of the hour.

You can also check out the plugins available here. (free with ProVersion)
    http://www.esyndicat.com/product/plugins.html

Also, I'd like to add, I've been using eSyndiCat for over 2 and a half years.
    I suggest to read the above the posts by those who have posted. A couple of these members will take every opportunity to bash eSyndiCat and phpLD whenever they can.

You make your own judgement. :)

dog222, May 24, 2008 IP
  14. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Whilst we are on the php talk....I had to edit some of the php files on Zorg Directory as the new php version broke some functions including the search function which is a fairly essential part of the directory. Lucky I knew what I was doing and it didn't take long to fix. This was in phpLD version 3.2.

mikey1090, May 24, 2008 IP
  15. Trusted Writer

Trusted Writer Banned

Best Answers:
    I got this software in the believe I would be able to provide syndication but not exactly as a directory it really is.

I don't like that it comes with phpMyAdmin that is a waste of space regardless you have a little or a ton, and I have notice PHP 5 incompatible but I believe this is caused due to most hosting services run this PHP version as CGI.

Trusted Writer, May 24, 2008 IP
  16. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Are you meaning you don't like the fact it is based on a MySql database?

Spider-Man, May 24, 2008 IP
  17. Trusted Writer

Trusted Writer Banned

Best Answers:
    No that's fine with me, the problem arises when you are working on eSyndicat's phpMyAdmin facility and it crashes because the server is trying to call the phpMyAdmin version hosted on the root server.

However this might be due to PHP 5 issues we were talking about or a problem with the server configuration file.

Trusted Writer, May 24, 2008 IP
  18. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    the database maintenance is an additional feature, you don't have to use it. It is also a standalone tool, nothing to do with phpmyadmin.

enQuira, May 24, 2008 IP
  19. hotpop

hotpop Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to sell your directory in the future, you had better read the TOS of the esyndicat. It's a bit of difference from PHPLD.
    If you purchased a 5 license package and sell one site, You'll have to purchase additional license for a new owner

If you purchased a unlimited license package and sell one site, You'll have to purchase additional license for a new owner

Just heads up.

hotpop, May 25, 2008 IP
  20. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Gotta say that makes sense. Why should someone be able to buy one license and essentially become a reseller without having to pay the script creator a licensing fee?

Most of the big name software companies do the same thing.

If there's truth that phpLD does not require an additional purchase, David is not the businessman I thought he was.

YMC, May 25, 2008 IP