1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory site for review

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Tapanti, Jan 5, 2005.

Hello,

I launched this Directory Site a couple of days ago and even though right now it's mostly a copy of the ODP, I would like to hear your comments about the design and overall usability, before I start promoting it amongst the Costa Rican companies.

Thank you for your honest comments.

Pura Vida

Tapanti, Jan 5, 2005 IP
  2. jeff123

jeff123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I liked the looks of your site. You might want to use a smaller image on the top of the page though. Don't force the users to scroll if they don't have to. A smaller image would also load faster.

jeff123, Jan 5, 2005 IP
  3. JoeO

JoeO Peon

Best Answers:
    I like the design too. I also agree that the top image might be a bit large, although they do look nice :)

You might have a problem with google though are your adsense ads look the same as your directory results. They all blend together.

JoeO, Jan 5, 2005 IP
  4. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thats a great looking page...i like all of your top images and the size of them is ok by me.
    i actually think that you should remove all pictures of the beach for about 6 months,
    due to recent events. Its kinda hard not to think about it when you see your images...and thats putting negative thoughts in my mind....all the other pics are great (i hope they are not copyrighted)
    just my opinion of course

Solicitors Mortgages, Jan 5, 2005 IP
  5. Tapanti

Tapanti Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for your comments.

I'm considering making the pictures smaller in dimension, but I think the size in k is ok; no one is bigger than 30k and most of them are below 20k.

JoeO, I've checked the AdSense TOS and they don't say that your ads can't look similar to your page contents; they say that your ads should be placed intact as they give them to you... and they are. The only thing that can not look like your AdSense is your other Advertisement: "...This would include ads that mimic Google ads or otherwise appear to be associated with Google on your site. If you have elected to receive content-based Google ads, this would also include all other content-targeted ads."

They do look the same as the directory results... that's the whole point. ;)

SM, you are absolutely right about the beach pictures. I'll remove them right now... and not for a marketing purpose, but for a mere signal of respect and condolence. Some of the pictures are mine, and some are royalty-free, but I've acquired the license to use those.

More comments are welcome.

Pura Vida :cool:

Tapanti, Jan 6, 2005 IP
  6. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I love the "torn paper" look, is that a template or you did it from scratch?

Nice colourfull picture - hard to make smaller, I wouldn't.

Good luck :)

miko67, Jan 7, 2005 IP