1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory PR Adjustments

Discussion in 'Directories' started by CReed, Oct 23, 2007.

1. windtalker

windtalker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Any website that have gained a significant portion of their pagerank from directory listings will experience a drop in its pr if majority of the directories it is listed in drops in pr. Every good webmaster should know this and issues about pr. Websites that will not have a drop in pr gained enough pagerank from other sources. Why are people even debating about something so simple?

windtalker, Oct 24, 2007 IP
    onedollar likes this.
  2. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Just as it will be a lose-lose situation if directory links are devalued for the purpose of determining the serp's. Google hasn't de-indexed these directories yet but are the listings still being counted as a credible back link?

workshop, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  3. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I guess mine has come back but don't know about the others.
    Backlink:)

That's 2 links. :p

popotalk, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  4. indyguidedotinfo

indyguidedotinfo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    its not just directories. johnchow.com is also down I am sure there are plenty of other sites. Amazingly text-link-ads.com is still pr7

indyguidedotinfo, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  5. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    2 types of google penalties have been mentioned.

Site A buys links to boost his PR, and gets dropped for the own name, like many of us have. We still have the power to pass PR and give a backlink, like popotalk just showed with that example.

Site B Sells text links, like matt cutts mentioned, the sites SERPs dont get punished, they just loose their ability to pass PR juice.

I would say most directories got hit like Site A did, which is exactly why dirsensei still shows as a credible link passer, like v7n and joeant which arnt penalised in any way.

mikey1090, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  6. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    There is a difference. You have gone on record and are looking for solutions. How many others are following your lead?

workshop, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  7. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, and the big winners in this scenario are the sites that have an IBL profile rich in links from non-directory, relevant sites. It will be interesting to compare Google's SERPs to Ask.com's SERPs when the dust clears (ask.com's algo heavily favors IBLs from related sites).

Bernard, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  8. windtalker

windtalker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know about that, ask.com results is sort of "~junky"...but that is just my opinion.

windtalker, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  9. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    mikey1090 no one really knows if just because a backlink is listed, if it passes PR or even counts for SERPs, Google could easily hide this and probably would to avoid any lawsuits.

Also those penalties are still not proven, what kind of penatly makes me not show up for my domain name yet allows me to move up the SERPs for competitive keywords, that just makes no sense to me.

How does Googel know if a text link was sold? What kind of proof do they need and do you seriously think they have the manpower to implement this sort of penalty on a site-by-site basis? I don't.

jg123, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  10. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's Halloween and the witches are doing it by magic wand.
    Credo.

:D

popotalk, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  11. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Ask minstrel, i've seen him answering that all over the google forum on DP.;)

They search for commond words. Paid links, sponsored links, adverts etc. I think matt cutts has said it before.

12. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Mmmm... I wonder.

CReed, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  13. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    haha nice. I think jay is talking about the high PR backlinks that are bought to manipulate SERPs.

Not my traffic boosting sig link:p

14. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, of course but most sites don't list it that way so how come they are being penalized? If Google starts penalizing sites because it 'thinks' they are selling links then it is opening a pretty nastly can of worms.

Even the reporting feature could be so easily abused, someone posts on DP or on a throw-away forum account that they are selling links on these 10 competitors websites then reports the post to Google so all their competitors can be penalized? The only way for Google to know for sure, unless it is being advertised on the site would be through sting operations where they actually went through with a purchase themselves, and that is likely not ever going to happen.

I could even see some great new business for hackers, getting 'buy a link' text added to your competitors sites to get them penalized!

jg123, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  15. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:

I agree. This is why yahoo and MSN must be laughing right now. They made the sensibe choice to not reveal a sites backlink power.

16. loredan

loredan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So basically Google become the first Internet Secret Service, a sort of Online Police searching the forums, sites and blogs to discover paid links and the connection between them...hmm :rolleyes:

I wonder how would it be if ...let's presume 99% of the wesites out there will stop google crawling their pages? :)

loredan, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  17. emptymirror

emptymirror Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm finding this all very interesting.

My directory, www.IndieCoffeehouse.com, has stayed at 5 so far.

I own or maintain a couple dozen other sites too and none of them have changed PR this time around, either. And new pages on those sites still don't have PR.

My sites are listed in many directories, but I've never paid for any links. Just free (non-reciprocal) ones. So maybe the current PR issue is indeed a paid links thing.

Or, maybe I'll see negative changes to the PR on my sites if I wait a little longer. I'm crossing my fingers that's not the case! :)

Don't know for sure but that's my 2 cents ~~

cheers ~
    Denise

emptymirror, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  18. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    They don't need manpower. All they need to do is what they have just done. Its got us all in a flutter and running in square circles but my guess is that you have to be really dumb to go out looking for PR in this market.

Bet there are some fire sales where you can pick up huge value at rock bottom prices. ;)

workshop, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  19. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hello Un-Official Google boy.:p Everybody knows who is DUMB. Everybody also knows what Google is upto. If not- you would been ruling the directory world than them. Accept the fact.

As I see it, its not only DIRECTORIES - that have massively lost PR, but other great sites like Stat-counter and phpBB also lot it massively.

So - why are you making a fool of yourself by blaming other directory owners where-as this is an over-all Google algo change?:rolleyes:

jhnrang, Oct 25, 2007 IP
  20. cwvps

cwvps Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    aviva and alive are PR4 lol. Many thousands of dollars invested and it takes a dump.

cwvps, Oct 25, 2007 IP