1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory PR Adjustments

Discussion in 'Directories' started by CReed, Oct 23, 2007.

1. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is just a thought, but why don't we wait until an actual update is complete before we start speculating on what Google has done???

Right now no one knows what is going on other than G seems to be playing around with its algo.

This is just another exercise in everyone speculating and getting scared over things that we don't even know are real.

Google is going to do what Google is going to do. Wait and see what it is before freaking out about it. Then take the appropriate action.

Again that is just my opinion.

Freak out if you want to, but I seriously don't see how over-reacting and starting all these threads based on pure speculation, before knowing what is happening, is going to help the directory industry.

swedal, Oct 24, 2007 IP
    britishguy and acuman like this.
  2. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    [FONT=&quot]It looks like folks are going to have to learn how to attract traffic to their directories and make them 100% high quality since they can’t sell page rank now.[/FONT]

The quality of a directory will be determined by cached pages, cached pages generate traffic and get your submitters websites in the search engines.

How many cached pages does your directory have? If it's not a lot you need to work on it.

stoner3221, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  3. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    And a very evenly balanced opinion too :)

Well done Bruce:cool:

britishguy, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  4. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think mine has changed. Did not bother to look at the others though.

BTW I still am looking for people who have freaked or over reacted most have given their findings which are actually are facts and not speculations as the changes are there right in front of their face. :)
    I'll vote for you as the Top Salesman of the Year. :D

popotalk, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  5. acuman

acuman Active Member

Best Answers:
    PR can be abolished and directories will still flourish!
    In fact, I have removed the PR tool on my directory on the day that I had it built. I submit my sites to directories regardless of their PR.

Directories are about organizing, categorizing, resourcing, and referring.
    For those who don't build their directory around those standards are they really directories? Anybody WAS able to build a site and buy their way to a higher PR. Big woop! Building a directory for the long term following the above standards and not thinking about PR or other superficial gimmicks will make your directory last a long time.

Directories will always be a booming & quality business if YOU want it to be.

acuman, Oct 24, 2007 IP
    banless likes this.
  6. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If the reduction of directory PR continues, it seems to me inevitable that those of us with general sites who have submitted to many directories will also decline in PR. Less PR effect will be passed from the now-lower-PR directories. That's just my speculation, but if so, it's a lose-lose for all of us, PR-wise. :(

Jim4767, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  7. britishguy

Best Answers:
    Not me Jude there are folks in here leave me straggling miles behind them so I have work just to try to stay on their tails miles behind ;)

8. wayner

wayner Peon

Best Answers:
    Seems like Google is happily dropping the ball for someone else to pick up, it doesn't look like webmasters will be able to sell links based on PR for much longer, in which case we'll all need to move to something else, and sadly it seems the next most popular way to rate a site is Alexa, a flawed metric by anyone's standards so lets hope there turns out to be a more reliable alternative.

wayner, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  9. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Content is king and this will bring traffic. Banner ads help but cost a lot.

How much do you consider a good amount?

mikey1090, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  10. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thats if you worry about PR that is, G is a business, and in that the futre for the web is bright for those who can see it.

They are just saying we're not dragging your sorry backside along for a free ride.

This is not doom and gloom its opportunity for those who want to play ball. bat'em up i say.

DownUnder, Oct 24, 2007 IP
    acuman likes this.
  11. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    An interesting idea. But in the marketplace the only evaluation that will matter will be that of the paying customers.

Jim4767, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  12. floppydrivez

floppydrivez Peon

Best Answers:
    I totally agree mikey. Every successful site I have ever had was built around loads of great content.

floppydrivez, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  13. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    Funny how they do things without thinking. And I agree with you 100% malcolm. This is good news for seo companies (for me too) as we can now triple the cost for seo since links will be so hard come by. Moreover, if google really thinks that this will cause people to jump on the ppc wagon then they have gone crazy. The first thing I would do if I had a bunch ppc ads would be to drop them, if they are going to take money out of your pocket then take some out of theirs as well.

Both webmasters and site owners need to step to the plate and basically tell google that they do not give a dam what they do with their algo, we are still going to buy links because links are apart of the search engines algo and until that changes why should I stop buying links?

I understand google wanting to clean up the page rank system and I am fine with that even if my sites takes a drop, but I am not going close down shop because of it, and webmasters should not either. Keep doing what you are doing in order to push your clients to the top, money can still be made without a high pr on your website.

Morevoer, since this is such a big change I do not see it affecting the directory market in any fashion. Sure there will be some that will run scared but the real webmasters and site owners who understand that the links will still help their sites will be the ones that continue to submit, the others will just sit by the wayside and watch the storm take them over.

banless, Oct 24, 2007 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  14. jl255

jl255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    jl255, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  15. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The only difference will be that folks will be looking for "Buying High Page Rank Links, PR3+" instead of "Buying High Page Rank Links, PR6+"

It really does appear to me that Google just wants to boost the image of page rank and give it more 'meaning'.

banless I think there will always be a market for link building and you might be right about the prices increasing.

I also made a post here, New Google Page Rank Algorithm? and will try and keep a list of some of the higher profile PR changes.

jg123, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  16. britishguy

Best Answers:
    Thats exactly where the commercial element begins and ends with your paying customers and they want a number of services, not least in evaluation in that regard will be hard working Directory Owners that continue marketing, promoting and supporting their Directories

While direct and/or in-directly associated activities keep coming and going

While ever there is support and customer care there will always be buying customers :cool:

banless likes this.
  17. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If PR was live it would be a nice metric to measure the quality of inbound links, and the juice that a site can pass.

Providing it doesnt depend too much on PR, i am happy to use a site like yours to check a directories quality. Perhaps if you gave more factors that your algorithm uses it may become more popular.

Mike

mikey1090, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  18. funkymario

funkymario Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Billy you need to re-think your "theory", To calculate the PageRank for a page, all of its inbound links are taken into account. the pr is not based on 2 or 3 directories links.

PR(A) = (1-d) + d(PR(t1)/C(t1) + ..... + PR(tn)/C(tn))

example: Site A is Pr 5, it has 1 pr7 + 6 pr6 + 15 pr5, and 130 pr4,3,2 links.

the High pr links (pr7,6) are 90% responsible of the pr5 of Site A, do you think losing 1, 2 or 5 pr3 or pr2 links from 2 or 3 directories categories pages will affect the GLOBAL pagerank of a page ? do the math its not even a 0.05 loss.

funkymario, Oct 24, 2007 IP
    iatbm likes this.
  19. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's a load of manure! Yes they will not carry as much link juice but the overall effect should be minimal. No intelligent webmaster is going to base their entire linking in directories.

stoner3221, Oct 24, 2007 IP
  20. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    While I partially agree with you stoner3221, web directories are still the quickest, easiest and cheapest way to build backlinks with your choice of anchor text.

Some of the high rank, high priced directories might have to do some adjustments but the directories charging $5-$10 for a permanent link review probably won't be to negatively effected.

I think billybw might be exagerrating the possible domino effect but I do think there will be a wide-spread effect especially in newer sites (less than a year old).

jg123, Oct 24, 2007 IP