1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory Penalzation Round 2

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Dave E, Sep 25, 2007.

1. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    If I owned a travel site I might not want to be listed in a travel directory because it is not relevant to my site. I'll most likely get better results if I list it in a tattoo artist directory or something like that. After all relevant links are'nt worth anything right?

banless, Oct 8, 2007 IP
    alang likes this.
  2. mrcrowley

mrcrowley Peon

Best Answers:
    What does your workshop have to do with anything??? Care to explain what its all about? BTW i used to work in a shop.

A back link is worth whatever you want it to be. From what i've seen most people decide the worth based on site design, backlinks and/or pr.

I don't understand who is being illuded by value or lied to or why you have a problem with it? If people want to go pay for something that you deem as not worthy they do so at face value or because they have reason to believe that they are getting something good. Isn't that what business is about?

To answer about why you do not get answered: you speak in riddles and very often nonsense. Its very hard to track and discuss one issue to the next because you bounce from one thing to the next in each sentence.

mrcrowley, Oct 8, 2007 IP
    alang likes this.
  3. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    What is your average buyer looking for? It used to be PR based but thats changed? Who is the average buyer?
    How long does a review take? How often are you going to trawl through your lists cleaning, polishing and tidying up? Paypal scores big time in all of this. Would it not make sense to offer bulk submissions to a central point where one could do the initial detailed review and save both time and transaction charges all down the line?
    Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

workshop, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  4. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Traffic, Back Links, PR, etc.

Agreed, I would say it is a combination of things, as well as traffic now.

That is a hard demographic to decipher. I would have to say the average buyer is an SEO seoing out other people's sites, more so than someone pimping their own sites. Given that we see a lot of major "name brand" listings, vs. MFA sites.

Generally same day. Do keep in mind this is an "initial review"... Our sites get reviewed at random on a regular basis insuring content and category listings remain consistent, and fresh.

Our bot does the majority of this daily. Questionable or dead sites are then reviewed manually daily. It's a rather complex system, but it keeps things nice and fresh...

We do... Ultimately the majority of our listings are $5 and $15 listings.. That said, Paypal, is only making around 4 percent, which is less than a CC processor/merchant account and all the BS that comes with that...

We offer bulk submissions and do them routinely... All anyone need do is ask.. ;)

Mia, Oct 8, 2007 IP
    alang likes this.
  5. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    With the minimal number of listings, I really don't see it being a problem for you. What surprises me is (as you admit) there might be many more listings such as these, yet you're busy spotlighting listings in other directories or trying to sell bulk listings with a replacement warranty.

I find it difficult to be taken seriously when I'm guilty of what I accuse others of, and I think you're finding out why.

Respect can still be earned from those that disagree with you, but I seriously think you've been on the wrong track. Leading by example and letting your actions speak says more about a person than anything they can say themselves. I may not care for your ideas or how you choose to go about things but I still wish your projects much success - it's just my nature.

But I don't see how you'll achieve it if you continue on the same path.

CReed, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  6. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    This is why I question the importance of traffic. Most of our thinking in this industry has been built up around the factors influencing PR and that's all but dead and buried. Consequently I expect them to be far more discerning in future and to start asking many more questions. Its also the reason I see the need to switch from artificial measures of value to something that's a lot more difficult to predict, long term prospects.
    This is where I would peg it but I question whether these rates are practical long term. I would build in an annual review for the first three years and a tidy up thereafter.
    I am spending a lot of time vetting each of the sites we are currently adding to our live projects and its creating a bottleneck. But its important to get the basics right and I am thinking primarily of the emerging market. How do we ensure that directory masters who want to enter the industry are picking up good habits? I see a use and a need for a centralised marketing tool that is used to instruct and mentor emerging directory masters.
    The difference is that I am not trying to pass off those directories that have dodgy listings, as quality sites and for the purposes of "selling" links at an inflated value. What I have gone on record as saying is that Eco Guides is being built on quality content, that it has a long term future and as such that it is a quality directory rather than "Quality" directory.
    There are reason for everything I do. Call it sales talk if you must. We are selling, I admit that. The difference however is that we are talking about selling a service rather than selling links. What we are saying to the web masters, is that our members are not going to fall off their perches and that they are good for the long term (traffic that they might one day generate). Its a grey area I know and an issue of semantics. Possibly one that Google will take issue with publicly but I doubt that they will, if we keep our deck of cards clean. Google management might be slow on the uptake but I doubt that they are pedants with a broomstick up their backside and that they are incapable of letting an occasional white lie slip past them. Leastways I intend to put that all to the test.

workshop, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  7. dargre

dargre Peon

Best Answers:
    Seems you're answering your own questions and quoting your own posts.
    Is everything OK with your head? Don't you have enough?

dargre, Oct 8, 2007 IP
    an0n and smub like this.
  8. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    lol dagre... his head is messed up ... i bet he will say his directory master thought him those lol

smub, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  9. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    yap yap yap! :p

workshop, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  10. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Shame to see the forum go down this path again, come on guys, agree to disagree, don´t try this playground bullying coz bottom dollar you´d probably never say to each others faces if you met each one. How professional does it look as well?

The Pheonix, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  11. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:

Once again, all this thread does is hurt every directory owner... Let it die..

Mia, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  12. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Its not the thread that hurts the industry. Its the attitudes that have become so prevalent in the market that have got to change. Why did Google chose to pick on the members who used to dominate this forum?
    This is something we should be debating. As you have pointed out yourself there is no way the market can continue to support the sort of rates we see being charged for links. But is that a threat or is it an opportunity?

workshop, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  13. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Like the others have said we all pay the piper in time so any affected
    sites only need fix or address the issues that caused what happened
    and move on... ;)

@An0n

When did "Shoe money" start making Videos :eek:

I agree with some off his comments but think others where incorrect "Paid Reveiws" and others a
    bit personal But it makes you think what the heck is going on over at google with sites and terms appearing
    and disappearing magically? and why no feedback or update from matt on his blog?...

Regardless the "Videos Title" makes the point...

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  14. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    The most powerful thing in this world is truth. And it can devestate even the largest companies on the planet, including G. Shoemoney get his traffic from where? http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=4752236#post4752236
    Awesome video, to bad it had alot of edits.

banless, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  15. raje_2000_21

raje_2000_21 Peon

Best Answers:
    Why don't the directory owners make the association and plead our case with google. With united stand we can say more forcefully.

raje_2000_21, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  16. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Why would directory owners need to plead any case?

The foundation here to the paid links controversy is "supposed" to be about
    "Spam" getting in their index due to High PR "paid links" and the manipulation PR
    and also "sitewides" passing PR with the suggestion that no follow be used.

If this is truelly about "Relevance" and googles attempt to clean its index then how did this
    change into personal attacks on a selected few websites/directories/blogs and its owners?

What did this directory/blog/site do right and this one wrong as they both are doing the same thing
    or yet similar yet one is penalized and yet others arent... just makes no sense and looks like
    personal attacks and fear mongering to say the least :(

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  17. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Why quote me as if I´m to blame? The only ones to suffer are the people who abused the system that is now biting back.

The Pheonix, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  18. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Because you look the part PHX :p just kidding

Abuse is a flagrant word when NO specified boundaries exist...

malcolm1, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  19. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    That is total BS... These retarded conspiracy theories suggesting Google is specifically targeting directories is what is causing more harm to all directories than anything you think a directory owner might have done to facilitate these oddities..

So far no one has provided conclusive proof of anything in this or any of these pointless threads..

Mia, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  20. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Do you believe that PR was being abused and used to talk up the value of sites set up for this purpose?

workshop, Oct 10, 2007 IP