1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory owners - want more sales? Then change your sales pitch!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Event_King, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yep I saw the post - and then the op deleted it. He loved how he is mis informing the members of dp.

swedal, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  2. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Exactly, I agree totally. My opening post was clear.

Nope, never said that at all. I said that the information I give out, is only slightly helpful to members and that I don't give my real secrets away to folks that bully.

I deleted the post because it was a little aggressive - and that's the only reason.

Event_King, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  3. kapinder

kapinder Peon

Best Answers:
    I have two general web directories http://www.urlwebdirectory.com and http://www.sanewebdirectory.com.

I think search engines have changed their strategy. Now they give more value to specific web directories like legal, health and web design. So I am think of starting two more specific web directories.

kapinder, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  4. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Suggest you do much research before committing, because there's no turning back once you do.

Good luck.

Event_King, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  5. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not at all what you said. At least two different members here saw what you posted and was just as stated by an0n and myself

swedal, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  6. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll post next ;)

Some do, some don't.

Well it's not really what your offering, just the idea's but anywho.

No, I attract visitors to filter them through to my customers web sites. My targeted sales leads are driven straight to the submission page.

Well everyone should be promoting their web site whether it is a directory or not, but I fail to see why one would actually put this fact on their own web site.

Agreed providing it is to actually add value, filling in gaps shouldn't be required if you are offering a good service, if you have gaps then the service isn't up to scratch in the first place.

Hmmm isn't that the ISEDN's slogan.

Never, ever, never and for one more time, ever would I do such a stupid thing.

SilkySmooth, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  7. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Why not? My experience is that many distrust directories, and shy away because so many are 'here today, gone tomorrow' - so, it's good to show that one is established and gets decent traffic.

Nobody will buy from anything that looks like it may die in 3 months time. It's too risky and especially since many directories demand $70 a time, I'd want some assurance my link will be visible next month.

Sales pitch is totally necessary, if only to reassure buyers.

Event_King, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  8. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Publishing statistics will not create trust, creating a brand creates trust. Statistics can both be faked and pumped up, but the reason I would never publish such information is that I wouldn't want to show my competitors how good or bad a directory was or wasn't doing. Customers do not care for statistics they care for results.

Really? If that were true there wouldn't be such an influx of directories being created to make a quick buck and run. People who know what they are doing will submit to established directories based on proper research by checking their age, if the domain has always been used as a directory, etc.

I didn't say it wasn't, read my post properly.

SilkySmooth, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  9. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    @ SilkySmooth

That's not an answer - it's a 50/50 assumption and shouts uncertainty. I've seen too many directories to know I'm correct.

Wow, that's quite a criticism, and I'm now going to show you a site that doesn't share your views.

Applegate, (not a directory I'd recommend) but the purpose is to prove a point that publishing stats helps with sales.

http://www.applegate.co.uk/stats.htm

Many sites show their stats - more than you realise, and it's worth checking out the ones that do. But these are more 'open' with potential advertisers than other directories, and says to me they want to prove their ability, by showing what they previously did for clients.

Yes, they could be lying their behinds off, but then so could the entire web couldn't it. And what if a brand isn't established? What do you do then, never use over 80% of the web?........

Trust must come before any brand recognition can work. Can have all the flashy looking brand names in the world, but if noone trusts it, it's not going to make any sales. People want traffic, it's that simple.

If stats can be faked, then directories can too - with every production line directory that's pumped out comes distrust.

Why distrust?

There's only room for the very few, and that started with Yell.com years ago, then every few months someone invents the next Google killer, and they spend the next year promoting on forums/blogs only to never be heard of again.

Someone knocks up a cheap directory and thinks it's great - why? Okay, let's pick a keyword, er - books (notice I didn't type in 'book directory'), k, so I type book into Google and get:

In four pages of Google I find only 1 book search site:

It's an okay resource, but it's in no way the best and it certainly isn't amazing. Okay I found something, but it looks cheap and nasty, and I'd hate to use it, and it may be niche - but it's too small a niche to make any serious money. I don't get it, why bother.

On further checking the top links on Alexa toolbar, I find another 3 book engines, all copying the highest ranked site for 'books' - it's crazy, because everyone goes to Amazon for book reviews and buying. I trust Amazon because it's good - not because it has been branded.

Event_King, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  10. werewe12

werewe12 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seems like you are running around in circles.

werewe12, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  11. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    That's not a problem friend but you and many others will still be here messing about while I'm selling my sites for millions.

See you at the next Entrepreneur of the Year award show!

Event_King, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  12. Tekime

Tekime Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Apparently I missed the OP then.

I'm sorry you're having difficulty understanding my posts.

Many things build trust. I spend several thousand dollars each month on advertising. Statistics help me value a site I'm interested in. Not all stats can be forged, and some are extremely helpful indicators. With the obvious caveat that it's just plain stupid to think that every site owner out there is honest. ;)

Tekime, Aug 9, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.