1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory Owners seem very slow to learn how to protect their own Directory Market

Discussion in 'Directories' started by britishguy, Jan 14, 2008.

britishguy, Jan 14, 2008 IP
    DownUnder likes this.
  2. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hello...

Well much has changed since last august i agree, but i think that with a little work
    we can reshape the submitters way of thinking as well as monitor which directories
    we feel are worthy of submitting too and are currently working on our own "algo" as well as
    our own SEO tools that will measure a directories strengths and weaknesses and 3rd party
    "PR" will not be used in any type of measurement as its faulty to say the least.

We are currently working on biz-giant and with a little luck should be live within the week
    and soon after we can concentrate on our own tools that help submitters find true valued directories.

It takes time and effort on all our parts to make change happen...
    ;)

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  3. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Taken from your article

With many people with many idea's be they wrong or right it will be hard for leaders to stand up unless there is a concesus by the people that they want to change.

As it stands i would guess many leaders are just quietly sitting on the side and not wanting to get involved in what seems to be a well planned mess.

DownUnder, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  4. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes Malcolm thanks that means we need to work hard as a collective unit working for our best interests :cool:

5. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There's nothing to fix.... Google has stated clearly and publicly that they don't value directories and also in not so clear terms they've stated they see them as link farms.

Paid links will get you penalized and free directory links are worthless.

Directories are a direct threat to the way Google does business and they've taken action against them.

What's so hard to understand about that?

GeorgeB., Jan 14, 2008 IP
  6. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    lol thiers always a "critic" in the bunch that dont know crap
    but wants to troll around and add his 1 cent remarks...:rolleyes:

Please fall back if you dont own a directory and let directory owners speak... thx

laterz
    malcolm

discover likes this.
  7. odysseus

odysseus Peon

Best Answers:
    From Google standpoint, Directories do not seem to have future as far as earning is concern.

odysseus, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  8. DownUnder

Best Answers:
    ok what about a open collective group that anyone can join that undertakes as a group to support and better the directory business, this could carry a directory best practice logo or similar. :) very tired but the idea anyway

9. DownUnder

Best Answers:
    do you work for them ? where does it say that.

10. britishguy

Best Answers:
    The 3rd party companies have an opinion/action that they want to adopt and persue

But like what happens in all dictatorial monopolies

They will be de-throned :cool:

11. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    nice article!
    I think the directory industry has already left PR and started concentrating on the improvement of their directories!

so you think yahoo directory also don't have value! yet i see yahoo directory everywhere in the serps!;) remember google's webmaster interface, "matt cutts" always says that directories which has good editorial quality are good!:D
    Humm..... when you talk about directories, it's always reviews and not links, because paying dose not guarantee you listings!

No! rather directories has helped google and other search engines to get categorized website listings that has boosted search index for ages!

uttoransen, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  12. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ahh :)

A) Making assumptions about what I own and don't own based on what you see in my sig makes a fool out of you.

B) Apparently the truth hurts?

If anything I sad was untrue and you had tried to refute it I could see and respect your opinion. Going the ugly route tells me you are the one that "doesn't know shit".

But it's cool, you keep on battling that uphill fight for the love of a parent that doesn't want you there genius guy ;)

13. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Pete, long time no see ;)

Thing is, as much as i can understand and appreciate your desire, i still think theres too much standing in the way of the ideal.

Its very hard to get a message accross like that to the masses of directory owners, even communicating it to a smaller group of reputeable ones.

You literally have to take on the big search engine and currently it seems an impossible task, im definately not knocking your thoughts on the matter or anything related.

All of the past suggestions really dont fit, various people talked of various things that could help, similar to when the wise guys come with the prophet like predictions and finger pointing but have no real input and solutions themselves.

I would be amazed if a group of directory owners could bring together something and at the same time change peoples outlook.

Look at how many times a day people mention one search engine in particular and one of their patents, can anyone truely challenge a patent held by a multi billion dollar company that never gives anything away with regards to information you can actually digest.

I sincerely admire your desire and wishes, but would compare it to moses parting the red sea.

pipes, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  14. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1) You are NOT Yahoo.
    2) When was the last time Matt said that? I can link to articles recently on the google blog that show quite the contrary.

You think Google cares about your semantics argument over what is and is not paid links?

Keyword ages... sure directories had their moment, but it has passed. The recent page rank decreases across the board should have been warning enough as a shot across the bow, but you folks are choosing to ignore it.

So hey I'm all for webmasters getting money where they can. SO good luck and I hope for your sakes I'm wrong. :D

15. malcolm1

Best Answers:

hey babe you stated the assumptions not me. ;)

A) Directory links still count as i see them in many websites that submitted to
    directories and thier sites are in the serps.

B) truth doesnt hurt me as i find solutions to make things work...

Now if your done spewing then please allow us directory owners to converse

thx and bye
    malcolm

16. britishguy

Best Answers:
    Thanks pipes but I don't have time to read about Moses;)

Did he part the Red Sea ?:p

17. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    OK OK I get it. You don't want to hear anything but what you want to hear about your niche. Got it ;)

I'll step back and let you converse but if you don't mind I'll continue to read the thread as I could use the entertainment. I can't wait to see your plans to force Google to accept small time directories that their algorithm doesn't even rely on anymore as authoritative figures . :D

18. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Correct ;)

cheers and enjoy the show by all means :D

thx
    malcolm

19. britishguy

Best Answers: