1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory Markets Needs To Wake Up !

Discussion in 'Directories' started by britishguy, Aug 10, 2007.

1. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What i made mention off is a fact and agree that newbies can be (blinded) by others comments but true webmasters know whats going on.;)
    Now im speaking TODAY... what tomarrow will bring is different as i myself have many ideas that will come into play and be incorporated into my network and one off thiose will be the search feature without a doubt (not to compete with google) but to better help promote sites within as well as offer other options.

If someone cares to start this "Association of Web Directories" then i have no problem in joining and offering whatever is needed for the advancement of our industry. If someone cares to run or operate then a vote should be at hand so that we can choose those that wish to represent our interests. Doing so will ensure that its the majorities choice is taken.

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Aug 12, 2007 IP
  2. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    i have already apologised for this small mistake and done something about it.

and when will people learn that i am not a mouse....

as for the topic in hand, i think a directory association would be good. All though isnt there already a small circle of members on DP who regularly discuss important topics, give their views and work togethor. I'm just wondering what would change. perhaps if you give me some more info it will become clearer...

mikey1090, Aug 12, 2007 IP
  3. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes Self indentification is important but by how?

Simply forming a association to voice our concerns will not do any good to us.

We need to do some other thing!

Freewebspace, Aug 12, 2007 IP
  4. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Putting Directories 1st and in every place including last in all references would singularly help and Directory Owner consolidation would help tremendously as we need to stop all this 3rd party riff/raff reference

Its our house the Directory House and lets make sure that everyone out there knows that :cool:

britishguy, Aug 12, 2007 IP
  5. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed mikey as we chatted and that issue is now behind us.;)
    I was furious when i found out BUT thats water under the bridge
    now as the issue has been resolved......

Well as for the association im sure IT could build a search with all
    directories involved and could very well be helpful to all included.. (just a thought) :D

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Aug 12, 2007 IP
  6. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    so how do we get something like this started?

mikey1090, Aug 12, 2007 IP
  7. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think what britishguy is saying is that the Directory Sector needs to cut the Umbilical cord and not allow its future to be dertermined by certain things that could hold us back because were so obsessed with the PR debate and other things where we feel were supposed to score points on.

That the Directory sector needs to recognise itself as a genuienly professional and less infantile business than it allows itself to believe.

Standing on our own two feet is what i think britishguy is meaning.

At least i hope thats what your saying. :)

pipes, Aug 12, 2007 IP
  8. britishguy

Best Answers:
    Exactly that is 100% correct pipes :cool:

We have to support the Directory Sector endeavors not anyone else or something else
    Housekeeping begins at home lets make our house in-destructable

9. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have been reading these threads with some interest. I have not really commented as everyone here knows a whole lot more about directories than I do.

It seems like the core issue is some people think that an association of some sort will help the consumer somehow distinguish a good directory from a bad one. Can't the market already do that? Look at the top directories on the market. Aviva, Alive, Joeant and more. They all seem to be reaping the benefits of providing a quality product to consumers AND the consumers have recognized that fact. On thier own even.

For a brief period of time I was part of a union once. An association of like minded individuals in the same business. All it really seemed to cause was political infighting amoung groups and pettiness.

People are much better off letting the consumers decide. The good will rise to the top, the bad will crash and burn.

Plus with the association there would be no manner of making owners join it. There would also be no recognition from the consumer for the value of having a little badge meaning you belong on the front page of your site. No more than a badge that says you won some web award now does.

It would take an insane amount of marketing money to create that awareness in a consumer base.

If your thinking that an association could somehow influence Google, Yahoo or anyone else's business practices. How??

And if your thinking of introducing an alternative to the google system of ranking, odds on that being successful are pretty slim. That also sounds more like a start up company than an association of directory owners.

Just the two cents from a newbie so try not to flame me too much...

swedal, Aug 12, 2007 IP
    pipes and msolution like this.
  10. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I couldnt have put it better :D
    Swedal says it all

M.

msolution, Aug 12, 2007 IP
  11. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

I disagree.

For example, Look at the

Better Business Bureau

Chamber of commerce

Those are just two agencies that make a HUGE difference

The problem here is no one has the balls to start it,

Thats why I will , and let you know when its ready,

sundaybrew, Aug 12, 2007 IP
  12. britishguy

Best Answers:
    Thanks sundaybrew

You are spot on they make a HUGE difference acting as a valid reference point and the BBB adds credibility and integrity to a company/and or site

13. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Agree with you 100%. Not sure what you have in mind but we are also setting something up and are targeting the bottom feeders in the market. If any of it actually works we can pull things together later. Right now we need people who want to see things happen. Good luck and if I can assist in any way I am available and willing. :)

workshop, Aug 12, 2007 IP
  14. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How about Pete ? Since OP has best idea. :)

popotalk, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  15. msolution

msolution Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No Doubts Mate,
    BBB and CC have a huge place, and adds credence to your site! :D

Is it about the balls, or viability!

I would love to see someone show me a successful version of things,
    and the added value it will bring to the Biggies,
    and to the newbies of the system alike!

:D
    M.

msolution, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  16. britishguy

Best Answers:
    Well the answer to your question is that I believe in parity across the board, so that means like a quorum where a minimum number of members of a deliberative body work together as necessary, to conduct the business of that group

People with similar aims and objectives working together to protect and promote a group of participants would be a very strong and viable proposition

If there is support for that sort of set-up, sure I would wish to support such a body

britishguy, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  17. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    I can only imagine how corrupt this so-called association would be. I shudder to think about it.

Why, exactly, do "directory owners" need to team up together? How many other keyword categories team up?

Lexiseek, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  18. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would agree on this and if there were to ever be such a thing, what would the media be to determine those to be invited? I sure would not welcome someone because of their 'mouth' or popularity. I would expect there to NEVER be an act of qbc on their part nomatter who they are(it could be god for all I care), or pagerank plagiary(sooooooooooo many do it).
    I would expect these people to be 110% honest, trustworthy; promote and rank and not just for a single term. There would have to be diversity amongst a panel. high rankers, low rankers, quality assurance, innovators to name some things. Not crybabies whinning out of jealousy and talking about how great they are, when they even aren't anywhere to begin with.

How exactly do you set aside individuals that meet such criteria, without others crying even further, or without enraging them even further?

an0n, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  19. britishguy

Best Answers:
    Don't follow the logic of your post(if I understand the post), and it seems a million miles away from working together to assist fellow Directory Owners

But then again, maybe as I do not understand your post, you could lay it out more clearly what you mean exactly

britishguy, Aug 13, 2007 IP
  20. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Its easy,

You make a set of standards, and then owners who meet the standards are can become members,

Once the Association becomes respected and well known the rest will just follow,

sundaybrew, Aug 13, 2007 IP