1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory Listing is dead?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by jorgepson, Jan 9, 2013.

1. ChrisRey

ChrisRey Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    hardly submit to directories these days aiming for direct traffic, instead we use directory submissions more as a method to obtain inbound links to our site. Search engines are known to give some importance to links obtained from directories and hence we need to pay close attention to certain factors when submitting in order to get the best out of these directory links.

ChrisRey, Feb 19, 2013 IP
    Nima likes this.
  2. prawyyy

prawyyy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I did some tests and it turns out that this affects the position of a website in search engine. Therefore, some began to panic trying to remove such malicious links, but it is quite time-consuming job. It is time to focus more on the systematic acquisition of new and good links. You can harm your website with 301 from banned websites.

prawyyy, Feb 28, 2013 IP
  3. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    What I find interesting is the negative affects of the sudden scramble to reduce and or remove links in mass quantity. I believe all that screwing around and jockeying for position had much more of a negative impact. The mass panic that has ensued has done more damage than any listing in any directory IMO.

Mia, Feb 28, 2013 IP
    stoner3221, silencer and pradip200 like this.
  4. pradip200

pradip200 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Also this panic has reduced thousands of spam directories, now very few directories are created by those spammers/greedy webmaster...it is good for SEO industry and users

pradip200, Feb 28, 2013 IP
  5. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I don't know if I agree there. I've not seen a mass reduction in the number of spammy directories. Keep in mind there are literally thousands of spam directories that are DUPLICATES upon DUPLICATE of spammy directories... That said, getting your link out of one spammy directory often times means that content is located in hundreds of other directories that were copied using the other spammy directories db.

Mia, Mar 1, 2013 IP
    pradip200 likes this.
  6. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:

It's funny you say this because one of MC's latest videos was answering a user who posed the question "How do I know which links to remove when I get an Unnatural Links message?" ... Now the user's question was actually a lot lengthier than that and worded differently, but that is the title of the YouTube video.

SEOs have no idea what links are getting them penalised. They build so much crap it could be anything.

The fact is, it isn't the directories themselves causing the problem, it is the SEO using the directories with no variation of anchor text. They get an unnatural link penalty because Google sees all these similar "money" keywords pointing at their site and says to itself "hmmmn that looks totally suss"

I've said this a thousand times. SEOs have no idea how to submit to directories. They treat them like link farms, auto submit to thousands of them with spammy information and they are surprised when the links they get from them are considered junk. Really?

If they treated each directory they submit to with respect they'll be in a far better position. The "screwing around and jockeying for position" is hilarious to watch, because these "SEOs" that have done terrible link building are running around saying everything is dead and the sky is falling in. Why? Cos their sites are getting hammered? They abused the system and they got thumped for it. More respect to Google for doing their job.

silencer, Mar 1, 2013 IP
    pradip200 likes this.
  7. Skyebug77

Skyebug77 Member

Best Answers:
    I own a huge business directory and I can tell you from first hand knowledge that directory listing do in fact help a website's serps and also relevance to specific niches.

Skyebug77, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  8. pradip200

pradip200 Active Member

Best Answers:

You raised a valid point, they copy the same database to hundreds of websites making duplicates of duplicate

pradip200, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  9. pradip200

pradip200 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Would silencer explain what a SEO Master should do if he has to concentrate on getting a position on a certain keyword? I mean what is the right way (white hat) to get top 10 position for a cerrtain keyword in search engine as google do not like excessive promotion of Anchor text

pradip200, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  10. Skyebug77

Skyebug77 Member

Best Answers:
    70% onsite, including great site coding with few if any errors, ssl, proper meta details and then the other 30% is offsite with a 10 to 1 keyword diversification (so if the target phrase is SEO service come up with 10 variations for this for backlinking) and apply this for all of your keywords so I usually have 10 keywords x 10 vartiations and ALL of my sites have ranked and made past big G

Skyebug77, Mar 1, 2013 IP