1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory Listing is dead?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by jorgepson, Jan 9, 2013.

there are lot's of review that says using directory submission will hurt your site's visibility in the SERP. question do you think directory submission still good for creating backlinks? what do you think?

jorgepson, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  2. hope2life

hope2life Active Member

Best Answers:
    My site has a link from yahoo directory and botw.org and business.com and its doing great in google. So if you have links from quality directories its great. Sites like wisegeek.com and business.com also have link from yahoo directory and those have good traffic from google. Directories are meant to provide links so those are best kind of links to get.
    But some directories sell page rank. If your site is related to web hosting they will link your site on business category. Dont trust such directories and dont bother getting links from them. A directory is good only if it provides links in relevant categories. Directory like www.mastbusiness.com is also good which provide listings only in relevant categories.

hope2life, Jan 10, 2013 IP
  3. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Only people I've seen saying that are typically SEO's that have caused more damage in other areas and are looking to shift that blame elsewhere.

I fail to see how having a link in a directory can hurt a site's visibility any more than having a link to your site in a forum, on facebook, other related, or even unrelated sites. Directories are not the sole method by which a site can be promoted and it's also not the sole detractor in cases where a site has been penalized for whatever reason.

More often than not the sites that suffer are either devoid of content, contain duplicate content, or have HIDDEN content in use in an attempt to rank higher for keywords.

Mia, Jan 10, 2013 IP
  4. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't believe rumors started by SEO firms trying to generate unlinking business. As long as it's a high quality directory with good editorial integrity it's a good link.

stoner3221, Jan 10, 2013 IP
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I agree with stoner3221, as long as it's a high quality directory - it's only going to improve your site's visibility.

qwikad.com, Jan 10, 2013 IP
  6. jorgepson

jorgepson Active Member

Best Answers:
    hi guys, how do you know that the directory listing is a good quality one?

jorgepson, Jan 10, 2013 IP
  7. hope2life

hope2life Active Member

Best Answers:
    For example, if a directory has a pr4 in jewellery category and if they even link a real estate site from this pr4 jewellery category then this directory is selling page rank. Because there is no connection between jewelry and real estate. This is how you recognize if a directory is good or not.

bathroom sites >>> must go to bathroom category (and not home and garden category either)
    door and window sites >>>>>>> must go to door and window category (and not home and garden category either)
    insurance sites >>> must go to insurance category
    toys sites >>>>>>> must go to toys category (and not gifts category either)

If such relevancy is maintained in a directory its a good directory

Just like DP forum get you banned when you don't start a thread in the right section. Similarly google will ban you if you dont categorize and list sites in the directory properly.
    Why dont you check yahoo directory how they list sites in most relevant categories?

hope2life, Jan 10, 2013 IP
  8. peter12ka4

peter12ka4 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    directory listing is something that can never be dead no matter what the rumors says coz backlinks is a bacis need of every site nd you cannot seprate it from SEO apart from this i must say the way u do dir submissions nd link building will gone make the difference to the nature of the performance

peter12ka4, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  9. drjackson

drjackson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    it wont ever be dead

drjackson, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  10. vipin soni

vipin soni Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    how you got link from those directories? any suggestion?

vipin soni, Jan 18, 2013 IP
  11. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, open your wallet and pull out a credit card to pay like most everyone else did. A lack of a marketing budget normally results in a lack of results. :)

tornado!, Jan 18, 2013 IP
  12. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not at all, but separating the wheat from the chaff has never been more confusing to someone that knows little about directories. Dan of Vilesilencer wrote an excellent article about being human that gives you an idea what the good directory owners are doing. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can link to it but you can google this to get it...

what it means to be human approving rejecting

... and you can read it for yourself

dvduval, Jan 18, 2013 IP
  13. Winagain

Winagain Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you do it manually, and select the directories yourself, it will help your rankings.
    Just don't try to get one of those services offering you to submit to hundreds of sites in a couple of days.

Winagain, Jan 18, 2013 IP
  14. miokiu

miokiu Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well i just built a new directory with manual approval
    hope it will grow well

miokiu, Jan 18, 2013 IP
  15. hemantkashap

hemantkashap Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Directory Submission is very good way to book google ranking

hemantkashap, Jan 19, 2013 IP
  16. mosaicartcourses

mosaicartcourses Member

Best Answers:
    If the directory site PR is more then 4 then you can submit the site in your category. If category is not matched with your site then you will negative impact.

mosaicartcourses, Jan 19, 2013 IP
  17. suwandichen13

suwandichen13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    worrying useless task . it's easy , if you submit to Farm Directory or Full carp Directory then your SERP will Hurt. Try Submit your Website to Dmoz and Yahoo Dir. and take a look on your SERP.

1 of who know nothing. some people make High PR Directory using FTV( fake to valid).

suwandichen13, Jan 19, 2013 IP
  18. dojodesign

dojodesign Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I personally have stopped submitting to directories since most of them, in my niches, would ask for money. I can do my linkbuilding without paying for a submission, so I just ignore them. The free ones are many and it's harder each day to see which are of any quality and which are not.

dojodesign, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  19. anxjuz86

anxjuz86 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think directory submission is dead. It's still good for your link building campaign but the values lies on how friendly does the directory to SE such Google and Yahoo. A good directory with a well organized categories where has SEO friendly permalink would brings benefit for your websites.

Google dislike farm linking and duplicate content so that's why some of directories losing their PageRank and TrustRank recently. These kind of directories that used duplicated description will only harm to your site. So try to avoid such directories if you wanna survive in internet marketing world.

anxjuz86, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  20. PioneerGlobal

PioneerGlobal Member

Best Answers:
    According to me Directory submission is the past now..

PioneerGlobal, Jan 20, 2013 IP