1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory Forum Spam

Discussion in 'Directories' started by dvduval, Dec 17, 2012.

1. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Who isn't here out of self interest? The owner of the forum has a self interest. Paid moderators have a self interest. Virtually everyone posting here has a self interest.

Everyone is biased!

The problem is we have unmoderated, biased people posting. Where is the logic?

dvduval, Dec 19, 2012 IP
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Even the most well intentioned will find it hard to be completely objective.

Flattering, but certainly nothing I would ever have time for, and as I said before, it would be difficult to maintain objectivity.

I second the Sarahk comment. She's always been my favorite and one of the best here.... Objective, respectful and quick to respond when a problem does arise...

Of the 18 mods, are they all really still active though? Chicago Rob used to be one of the most active and prolific, and I've not even seen one of his sterling comments in some time. A great bulk of the membership has become quite inactive as well, and it really shows. It's probably one part, the forums have probably run their course (social networking was not around in the heyday) and another part "laziness" on the part of the "team", though I don't doubt that other things have pre-occupied Shawn's time. Having known him since 98' or there about's - still using his Optigold Software, I'd imagine that some time is spent best elsewhere. When I look at some of the things I have created or have been involved with over that same period of time I am certain there are several projects that I let fall by the wayside as well.

In the end, though I know it's not popular to say it there are a few things that could be done to prevent a bulk of the spam. Given Shawn's propensity for creating great geo-targeting tools, I'd have to say there are certain areas of geography that if prevented from posting here in the first place... Anyway...

Mia, Dec 27, 2012 IP
  3. philip.morris236

philip.morris236 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am ready to volunteer for this job ... But I will need your help to point out those thread

philip.morris236, Dec 29, 2012 IP
  4. snakeair

snakeair Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone old enough to remember when Mikey was made moderator? We all thought he'd clean up the directory section and make it a quality section for directory owners and newbie directory owners to talk.

I'll post a quote from him below:

Not soon after that, he become inactive or lost interest in being a moderator. In fact, he still a moderator on here but no way to know if he use's his powers.

snakeair, Dec 29, 2012 IP
  5. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Sadly those days are long gone. I have a feeling most of these guys have moved on to bigger and better things.

Mia, Jan 2, 2013 IP