1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directories versus Linkbaiting

Discussion in 'Directories' started by onlinedude, May 3, 2007.

1. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Peon

Best Answers:
    jhnrang I have replied to you on my blog.

I do not call myself an expert, sure I called myself an SEO because it describes what I do, if you can think of a more accurate term then I am all ears.

I wont be arguing the point here any further as I seem to have been liberally misquoted, which is a shame as it's an interesting topic.

My point is that social media sites are replacing directories for effective SEO, I wouldn't expect Directory owners to agree with me :)

Lyndoman, May 3, 2007 IP
  2. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The bottom line is that matt didnt clarify anything and just started letting post count come up after how much attention he recieved from it.
    Now... from what i gathred what they want is..........

1. Catch The egregious behavior... High PR8-9-10 linking on irrelevent pages just for PR increase

"The problem is that we've seen quite a bit of buying and selling for the very clear purpose of transferring PageRank. Some times we see people out there saying "hey, I've got a PR8-9 site" and, this will give you some great Google boost, and I am selling it for just three hundred a month. Well, that's blunt, and that's clearly in violation of the "do not engage in linking schemes that are not permitted within the webmaster guidelines".[/B]

Our goal is not to catch one hundred percent of paid links. It's to try to address the egregious behavior of buying and selling the links that focus on the passing of PageRank.[/B] That type of behavior is a lot more readily identifiable then I think people give us credit for.

2. "Sitewides" on high PR sites........Programmers cant fix an equation of PR x numbers of pages transferring PR to make higher pr gains.... " We request "no follow" for sitewides.

"We want links to be treated and used primarily as votes for a site, or to say I think this is an interesting site, and good site. The buying and selling of links without the use of Nofollow, or JavaScript links, or redirects has unfortunately harmed that goal. We realize we cannot turn the web back to when it was completely noncommercial and we don't want to do that. Because, obviously as Google, we firmly believe that commerce has an important role on the Internet. But, we want to bring a bit of authenticity back to the linking structure of the web. And, Nofollow is one way in which that can be properly accomplished".

"That's one of those things where typically

malcolm1, May 3, 2007 IP
  3. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:

Thank you very much for your reply. Naturally you understand why we get upset --by those type of high visible blogpost.

In my views SEOs can't live without directories and Directories need SEOs for their business.

Its win-win situation for all --SEOs-Directory owners and Webmasters.

And as you know --what I commented on your blog was correct.

It is also true --webmasters will still submit to directories --but please just imagine all directory owners on one side --( As I am calling Jeff and Chrish to lead) and all SEOs on the other side --who win???
    Naturally both will loose --but while we will still survive --SEOs will find it hard to run their business as they could never be able to build enough links required for SERPs without directories.

I don't want this --Infact I am looking for SEO firms to tie-up for a heavy discounted OFFER --for my small directory network:D

Anyway --best regards --all of us are here to make money --and exchange views --nothing personal --just expression of views.

jhnrang, May 3, 2007 IP
  4. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Is it? How many links do you get from those sites ----per site ? 5/6/7? And everytime you will have to post a post. How many clients can you manage?

You have to keep regularly updating for each and every clients of your and get all your resources -together everytime. Over time -you will have hindreds clients and -to maintain consistent amount of traffic -to your clients' sites --DO YOU IMAGINE THE HARD WORK?

And most of all --webmasters hardly look for traffics from those sites --they love theoir sites on top page of every SEs for their targetted keywords/phrases. And of course visitors from them.
    Do you think you can manage that without directories ?

How many Social Network sites are there? Are the traffic targetted --will they bring revenues to websites you will work --LOTS OF QUESTIONS TO ANSWER.

So discarding/dismissing directories as DEAD is really not WISE of you.

I must have misunderstood your post on your BLOG:rolleyes:

jhnrang, May 3, 2007 IP
  5. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Peon

Best Answers:
    No worries, I'm used to Digg comments so I have a tough skin ;)

The thing is, I don't get what you mean by SEO's on one side and Directory owners on the other. I don't understand the confrontational picture you paint.

the way I see it is SEO's want traffic and we go where it's at. Directory owners also want traffic and quality submissions.

However, this is the online world and things change, things change fast. I am working on a site that hit the Digg front page traffic twice, 30k traffic in two days and the site now has 5k backlinks, the site was launched in Dec.

The way I see it directory owners can fight back by adding a voting system themselves, yeah, sure it will be gamed. It's a sign of success. But if you provide value for your customers you can compete. But I see a lot of directories that are a bunch of stale static links and it's just boring and does not take advantage of the new techniques available.

Hook up a pligg with your directory, it takes 15 mins to install and adds a little something different to the Directory model. Remember, I never said directories are dead. You guys still have something to offer.

Lyndoman, May 3, 2007 IP
    CReed likes this.
  6. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Your right i dont....

The web directory is still the most important filter thier is...

If google still counts links then never count us out as we bring the
    newest sites and still remain the top manner in achieving higher rankings
    in all search engines.

The day google changes this saying of its "google webmasters" is the day i belive that comment...

Submit your site to relevant directories such as the Open Directory
    Project and Yahoo!, as well as to other industry-specific expert sites.

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, May 3, 2007 IP
  7. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, www.cornwallseo.com is proof of that. I think I may have submitted to a directory but I don't think it sent any traffic. Blog started in Dec, Yahoo lists it as having 4k backlinks and Alexa give it a 44k, ok it's not that much, but I have been busy with consulting lately.

I write stuff, people like it, people link to it. It's not hard at all, infact it's really easy. Submitting my blog posts to Digg and Netscape is also not hard, it's only about 15 mins a day.

It only works if you have half decent content. That's where some people fail with SMO.

Lyndoman, May 3, 2007 IP
  8. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Peon

Best Answers:
    "The web directory is still the most important filter thier is..."

I disagree, the tests and experiments I have conducted prove otherwise. I go where the traffic is. You make it seem as if I have shares in Digg, lol.

If you can demonstrate that I am incorect rather than just give me an opinion it would be more useful. Empirical data is what SEO's base our decisions on.

Lyndoman, May 3, 2007 IP
  9. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Can't agree more. All serious directory owners will agree to that too. Yes lots of directories are as what you say . But how can you GEBERALISE them.??:confused:

Do you think an Organic Quality directory is equal to a just launched directory?

There would not been any of this if you said --there are quality directories as well as ........well...

jhnrang, May 3, 2007 IP
  10. t2000q

t2000q Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    some directories are great others are just a lot of wasted web space - my 2 directories currently are in the later end of those and I really need to get into the other

t2000q, May 3, 2007 IP
  11. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    heheheh so tell me mr seo.... how do i find your site? under what terms?

You can find some of my sites are on TOP of search results with ease

and all ive ever dione with them was directory link submits so.......

here try .... seo links directory, seo directory , seo web directory, seo links,
    or other similer and you will find my sites in the top 10-20 and they were all by directory submission..

As for traffic i never said im sending anyone traffic....

and what about digg? who uses that crap? I mean i dont really

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, May 3, 2007 IP
  12. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, have you ever seen Howard Sterns' movie? There is a line in it, I think it's Pig Vomit who speaks it.

Lyndoman, May 3, 2007 IP
  13. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here Buddy --I did it for Mr SEO--kinda his/her Secretary:D

You are on 3rd HERE
    On mother of all traffic --SEs --GOOOOOOOOOGLE:D

Waiting eagerly to see result of MR SEO .

Then I'll show my friend how my BLOG is ranking 1st/2nd/3rd ( with over 40 Keywords/phrases)on Google with just Directory submission and Forum links:D

jhnrang, May 3, 2007 IP
  14. malcolm1

Best Answers:
  15. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I am not Mr SEO, he lives at www.mrseo.com. Hmmm, how would you find my site? Well I live in Cornwall and I'm an SEO and I have a blog called www.cornwallseo.com, you can click on the link or search for it in Google, it's up to you really. I don't mind how you get there.

Congratulations.

...so it worked for you. Well done, I have never used those search terms but I am sure many people have.

Lyndoman, May 3, 2007 IP
  16. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    heheheheh well thats all you had to say friend :p

It actually takes a little bit of everything i will agree
    with you but i still thisnk the directory remains an imporatnt
    part like many others in reaching top spots. ;)

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, May 3, 2007 IP
  17. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I am glad I made you laugh.

I think you misunderstand what I mean by empirical data. You may think that ranking high for a specific term proves that Directories beats Social Media Optimisation, all it means is that you rank highly for that term.
    What I mean by empirical data is to conduct some kind of experiment. For example, take two sites, link to one with only directories and one only with social media sites.

Just saying you win the arguement because you rank for a certain terms is plain daft.

Let me make it a bit more simple.
    How much traffic does the average site get per a specific time period after it has been submitted.

That is what I am interested in as an SEO. Most directories tend not to have a high pr, 4 if you are lucky on the page the link is at. It's not worth the effort of the submission as it is only one. Whereas get a good social media submission and you can see hundreds of pr 4.

Are you really saying one pr4 is worth more than hundreds because you rank for your quoted terms? I only submit once and that's it, after that the content does the work. If it's viral and takes off I can put my feet up whilst someone manually submitting to directories are still hard at work.

I'm not against directories, I just find they don't send me traffic and that's what I am after.

I look forward to you proving that driectory submissions work better than SMO ;)

Lyndoman, May 3, 2007 IP
  18. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wait Pal--
    While he diggs at DIGG -- I am digging his backlinks. Remember he mentioned he submitted into only one directory?:rolleyes:

Lemme get each and every of his backlinks.

Again I re-iterate --its not about the number of traffic --that webmasters like --its about the quality of related traffic that would translate into Revenues that webmasters like.

Just go to Stumbleupon--stumble for 1 hr --and you get few K uniques. But those are useless in terms of business. So too your traffic. How are you monetising the traffic?:rolleyes:

jhnrang, May 3, 2007 IP
  19. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well here I go --

He is right --he has not submitted his blog on directories --but just finding BLOGS and commenting on them leaving his signature/mark behind:p
    But they are worthless links --NO-FOLLOW Tag/No-Cache TAG --and thats why except his domain name --I think his site will never be like yours Malcolm1.--ranking high ON SEs and getting natural traffic rather than manipulating some social networking sites and getting artificial traffic which will never turn into valued traffic by monetising them.
    [​IMG]

jhnrang, May 3, 2007 IP
  20. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a great idea.

Correct!
    It's about the links that come from the traffic. I still don't think you understand.

You submit to social media
    It gets voted on and sends traffic
    Some of the traffic links to you from their blogs and web sites

Rinse and repeat.

If you take a look at my site you will notice I make no money from my site. Rather I make money with my site. I use it in other ways than directly earning cash.

But it's true, Stumbleupon has very low click through rates when it comes to things like adsense.

I don't monetise the traffic, the traffic is not my primary target, the links are.

Lyndoman, May 3, 2007 IP