1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

directories and profit?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by av1, Apr 23, 2005.

how does one make profit from directories?
    paid submission is out of the question until its gets big and earns fat pr..
    anybody using adsense in directories? what are your earnings?

av1, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  2. stephaneggy

stephaneggy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Adsense income is not very big in my dir, but I gonna give it a better spot soon

stephaneggy, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  3. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    not 100% true im currently making £10 a month from one site wide listing and that was b4 my site turned to pr 2

just-4-teens, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  4. av1

av1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    hmm ten pounds a month, how much work did u put in to get this? was it worth it, or regular kind of sites would be easier?

av1, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  5. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    well i started the directory about a month ago and had no pr etc and still managed to get a £10 a month site listing, i suppose it all depends on who your targetting, what sites are included into the directory etc

like my directory is aimed at kids & teens only! and every site that is submitted is carefully checked.

I have spent a fair few hours working on this and yeah so far has been worth it.

6. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    I started my directory about a month back, I have adsense on them. Though the aim is not to make substantial amount of money.

I have couple of other sites as well. On almost all the sites(except personal sites), I run adsense, that give me some money. Thats a different aspect that my expenses including server costs are more than I make from adsense. For me, its like a hobby, so for a Hobby if their are expenses, so what.:D

NeoGen, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  7. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Making a profit from a directory can be difficult until your directory is well developed and marketed extensively. It normally takes two or three years to see anything but red if your developing and improving your directory. Like with most businesses it takes effort time and a significant investment to see a good return.

stoner3221, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  8. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    My directory, Travel Directions, started in December, got PR for the first time in this weeks update (PR5), and has made $4.13 in advertising revenue so far this month.

This is really just planting a seed, watering it regularly, and waiting for it to bloom in several years.

Will.Spencer, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  9. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Now you can take that Caribbean vacation you've always dreamed about :D

That's just mean, Will. That just makes the rest of us making only $1.98 a month feel wretched... :mad:

minstrel, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  10. onestop

onestop Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Directories will never help you to make the big bucks in a short period of time. I agree with will.spencer , you've to work on it regularly, and it needs some serious time.

onestop, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  11. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    altho my directory isnt the real priority on my site since my site isnt just a directory so if it makes any money its just a bonus that goes back into the site, as long as server cost etc are covered any profit is a good profit :D

12. av1

av1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    so you dont many any real money from them, but yet everybody has atleast one?:)

av1, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  13. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    And it's $5.09 Canadian! :D

Will.Spencer, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  14. jim

jim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree. Provide a good value and you make money. I guess www.jtrotta.com is 2 months old and it is in the green.

jim, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  15. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I guess it depends on what you’re spending on Payroll for developers and editors. Marketing is another major expenditure. We just launched a free mail service last week and have a search engine nearly finished. The Business directory is undergoing a complete makeover as well. A lot of seemingly never ending enhancement projects are what makes a good directory. The editor’s side of WoW has had extensive renovations in the past year to enhance services, block auto submissions and improve editing time. We are finally getting around to doing more on the public side.

stoner3221, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  16. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    My direcotry has been up as a directory since January. The domain was offline for about 6 months, but when I put it back up it still had a PR4. It went to 5 this last updated, and the internal pages got 3's and 4's. Adsense is accounting for about $3 or so a month to this point, but I haven't really been pushing the thing until the past couple of days. We'll see how it does, but I don't expect adsense, or any other kind of revenue, is going to do anything spectacular any time soon.

nfzgrld, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  17. av1

av1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    are you talkin about axelis?godamn i didnt even submit to it coz it looked like a way too mature directory to accept my crappy site, and your saying ur only earnin 3$/month :)

av1, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  18. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    T0PS3O, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  19. jim

jim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just curious because someone left me a negative reputaion and nasty comment for this post. Why? Is it not relevant? Anyway, whoever you are :p

jim, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  20. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Who knows, Jim? Maybe the person who left the comment was jealous because your site is doing better than his...

Don't worry about it: The only way to avoid getting negative rep is not to post an opinion on anything... and even that may not be a guarantee.

The most puzzling part of this rep system is the surprising things people object to sometimes... :confused:

although it is a fascinating psychological study in some ways...

minstrel, Apr 25, 2005 IP