1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Digitalpoint Ultimate SEO FAQ

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by MattUK, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Bloomtools

Bloomtools Peon

Best Answers:
    yes all most of seo FAQ covered DP!

Bloomtools, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  2. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:
    I like it. Do you have anymore?

homebizseo, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  3. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Did you ever get around to adding to that list?

MattUK, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    It's good you have placed the most emphasis on link building in the FAQ. Nice post. I guess that throws the content is king argument out the window :rolleyes:

dcristo, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  5. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Is Content King?

I'm always quite wary of this arguement. Content is important, insofar that if it's good enough to generate natural incoming links then it'll help, but people seem to be under the impression that Google has some kind of magic algorithm that judges how 'good' content is - this simply doesn't happen.

Google 'judge's' how good a page is by the number and more importantly the quality of links that point to it. You can have the worst content in the world, but if the page is fairly well optimised and you have some great links then you'll also be ranking highly. Google doesn't value 'content' it values links.

Having a great site is going to increase your chances of long term success as it'll generally increase in popularity and natural link generation over time, but developing and implementing a good long term link development strategy is also just as important and ignored by far too many people.

MattUK, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  6. genuineseo

genuineseo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great stuff.

genuineseo, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  7. brooke

brooke Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi Matt

Thanks for sharing...

Good Luck

brooke, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  8. vjlenin

vjlenin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wonderful information. Rep is given I need to add one or two more points to this:

Firstly, building too many backlinks in too little spans of time cna get you very bad in terms of SEO. You need to build quality backlinks and in very reasonable amount of time. Shouldn't overdo it.

Secondly, there are some points on on page SEO that I wish to speak about. You need to have a very good internal linking strategy and that should be through occasional revision of your older posts to include newer links. Also, linking out to relevant resources can give you some ranking weight.

It's more relevant links than high PR links that matter. However, a high PR link from a different category, can realy influence your pagerank, though not your site's search rankings.

Google also seems to value multimedia content. Not only text. For instance, add some videos from related domains, and related keywords, and you can see a better search positioning and pagerank. Many SEO's will counter me in this point, I know. I am not saying google understands pictures or videos, but google gives weight if it is relevant pictures or videos. They understand the relevance through alt text, video site's descriptions, etc. Try and see the results.

vjlenin, Aug 27, 2008 IP
  9. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You're correct that the key to the backlink profile is quality. Quantity doesn't seem to matter. Take this as an example. A site announces that they have discoved the cure for cancer. How many links do you think they would attract overnight? Millions - do you think Google will ban them? Of course not.
    A more realistic example is a website for a blokbuster film. Around the release date they always mick up thousands of links. I've never seen any get banned so far.

Very true, some may argue that your internal links are the most important links you'll ever have. I'm somewhere in between. Having a well defined internal link strategy is extremely important - as much for usability as SEO. The main menu links, breadcrumb navigation and footer links are all things to consider.

Possibly. I've seen people claim the same thing before. I've never seen any tests done on it though.

MattUK, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  10. rena

rena Peon

Best Answers:
    good stuff. thanks a lotttt

rena, Oct 7, 2008 IP
  11. didi

didi Peon

Best Answers:
    May be you can add the questions about "what are your best keyword search tools?"
    Or generally "what are the best SEO tools" ?
    Many are asking, reasking this question.

didi, Oct 8, 2008 IP
  12. madmik85

madmik85 Peon

Best Answers:
    this post is golden! thank you for sharing !

madmik85, Oct 8, 2008 IP
  13. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No problem :)

What are the best keyword research tools?
    I used to use Wordtracker a lot but now use the free Google analytics tool.

How To Do Keyword Research
    Take each page on your site and decide what it's about. For example the homepage and top level categories will have far more specific keywords than the deeper level pages. As an example, on a site about DVDs the site structure and keyword reaserch may look as follows,

Homepage -------> Keyords: DVDs, Buy DVDs
    Category 1 ---------> Comedy DVDs
    Product 1a ------------> American Pie DVD
    Category 2 ---------> Action DVDs
    Product 2a ------------> Rambo DVD

Ideally each page on the site should be targeted to no more than 3-4 'main' keywords and 10-15 'derivitive' keywords. Main keywords in the example would be things like, DVDs, Video, DVD rental.

Derivitive keywords of DVD rental for example would be rent DVDs, rent DVDs in London, chep DVD rental etc.

What Are The Best SEO Tools?
    I really don't use many SEO tools at all. Most of them are a waste of time and money. Anything that claims it can SEO a site is probably best avoided. I do use some tools however. Most of them are time saving devices. A list of the tools I have bookmarked are,
    Google AdWords tool for keyword research
    Google Trends for seasonal keyword analysis
    Web CEO only used for ranking position checking
    AdWords Wrapper for PPC campaign setup
    A Spider Simulator to see how serach engines view pages
    A diagnosis tool for cheking site age, location, links etc
    Hub finder - Great for finding linking opportunities

MattUK, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  14. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    what should be the keyword density ??

Also, any advantage of inter-linking different pages of the site ?

MeetHere, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  15. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Keyword Density
    Sorry to rain on the parade, but there really isn't any magic keyword density. There's no point spending hours analysing your competitors keyword densitys. Use your main keywords in the main areas of the page. Titles, meta description, alt tags, H1s, and in the body text where it naturally occurs. After that it's all about external factors - site age, authority and link profile.

Internal Link Strategy
    Your internal link profile are some of the most importnat links you'll have placed to your site. They count just as much as external links, so it's important to get them right. Make sure your navigation system is logical and hierarchical - Home/Category/Subcategories/Subject/Product.
    Make sure all pages all link to your top level categories either through the menu system or via footer navigation. Adding a breadcrumb navigation is a good idea. And of course, try to use your keywords where possible in menu navigation links.

MattUK, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  16. amped66

amped66 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the post! Some useful info

amped66, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  17. morph07

morph07 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ive always see this questions...but this one is the most frequent!:)
    thank you! great thread

morph07, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  18. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My question is particular about blog.
    Is it worth interlinking different blog posts with specific anchors ? will it help in SERPs ?

MeetHere, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  19. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes of course, as well as benefitting from the anchor text it also benefits from the flow of 'authority' between the pages.

MattUK, Oct 9, 2008 IP
  20. Rblakney

Rblakney Peon

Best Answers:
    Great post, I definitely agree with you that there is no substitute to Experience.

Rblakney, Oct 9, 2008 IP