1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Digitalpoint dyk query string

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by t2dman, Sep 13, 2010.

I made a new post here at dp talking about my nzseochallenge quadracentifiable competition entry, and found a copy of it on webmaster clip via a Google alert - QuadraCentifiable.

webmasterclip.com/story/quadracentifiable-new-zealand-seo-competition

I was interested that the link through to dp was with the following string
    forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1937676&goto=newpost&r=bc42

The page 302 redirected to the following
    forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1937676&#post14950325

and as it passed through, it set a cookie of dyk=1, and of course had the parameter of r=bc42

* What is the dyk cookie
    * What is the r parameter? - I see that there is an r parameter on the rss feeds
    * Why a 302 redirect!!! Surely it should be a 301 redirect to the "proper" url

Even the forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1937676&goto=newpost&r=bc42 url is not the proper url for the thread. Better to be forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1937676. It would have got that url from the rss feed.

I see that the rss feeds have a:

<guid isPermaLink="true"
    that includes the permalink.

A shame that the webmasterclip story did not take the proper permalink.

So as a consequence, the link into dp creates another url for the page that competes with the original page. Yes, it is a link, but sad that it could not be all it should be.

After so many years of being in existence, vbulletin still has less than optimal SEO :(

t2dman, Sep 13, 2010 IP