1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Digitalpoint Directory

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Fishing Forum, Jan 11, 2006.

1. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Well, every time I think directories can be of any use (except the links of course) I go to dmoz and try to find something I need.. I always realize I was wrong..
    I guess it's not a good idea after all, turning DP into a directory just for links isn't cool.

VS, I went to see suicidegirls.com, their forum is definitely more interesting lol

DomainMagnate, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  2. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    SuicideGirls is a great site.

SEbasic, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  3. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Blogmaster, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  4. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Yes, but this would be different!

This time we could take bribes and attack people who try to help us build the directory.

I like bribes a lot better when they are going into my pocket. :)

Will.Spencer, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  5. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    But we need to be well rehearsed and make sure we always all give the same answers about everything, just like the DMOZ people do.

Blogmaster, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  6. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Not a problem, I've dealt with AdSense Support.

Based upon my experience with them, we need about three macro's...

Will.Spencer, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  7. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    I think directories are a fantastic way to structure and categorize niche markets. ;)

LaCabra, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  8. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I do see a place for niche directories (cf. link relevance), as I've said previously. I also think that general directories are pretty much pointless now.

minstrel, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  9. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    I tend to agree with VS’ original post. IF structured properly there is no reason why a DP directory could not be a valuable resource for many people – especially lurkers. There are some very very talented people here on DP!

I would simply like to see a directory so that I can know who to do business with and who not to. I would like the ability to locate say a designer without having to post "Looking for designer" posts. The directory will also help get an extra little bit of traffic for me. Incorporating a formula based on rep would also promote better posts by members and better quality content on the forums.

If designed properly it could contain a decent structure and be multi-purposed in the coop. Yes the directory could be used as a structure for building thematic links in the coop, making the coop even more powerful and more complete.

To dismiss the idea would be crazy. I’m not saying to dump all the work on Shawn. See, the coop ads are already vented by humans, to have them verify an additional directory listing would not be that more much work if the directory is structured properly. I think this could be very good thing for DP, its members and the general community. I am willing to volunteer!

Regards
    Frank

LaCabra, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  10. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's really irrelevant what anyone thinks. Perhaps Summer might be able to get him to change his mind (blackmail from childhood escapades, maybe?) but I doubt it - in the end, I think the verdict about a directory would be "too much work for too little return". And you just know the thing would be spammed and scammed to death :rolleyes:

minstrel, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  11. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think that kinda says it all... ;)

DomainMagnate, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  12. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    So lets say that he does hate them - he does! :) Would there be any harm to build one anyways (with shawn's ok)?

Bribe/blackmail: We can always get VS to post the panty modeling pictures of Shawn! All his love notes and emails to Colleen et al, Nino's used underwear he bought at King of the Wacko auction.

Shawn what would it take to get a directory up? Really! Please give it some thought.

cheers
    Frank

LaCabra, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  13. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would a niche directory be any more relevant than that very niche as a category of a larger one? I've never understood that.

Any sort of directory is a prime target for link spam. So unless we gave up linkage rights (I dunno, nofollow, javascript obfuscation of links, other methods) and just wanted traffic then maybe people would be more willing to make a genuine resource.

blackbug, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  14. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    blackbug ... imo niche directories encompass an entire site not just a sub category or a piece of a site. You can build very strong thematic links more so from niche sites than a general purpose broad directory site. You would also get more targetted traffic and more page views from within a niche directory. You're viewed totally different by users of that niche industry/community. Niche directoires also let you build and grow that site into a niche community site. The value of niche directories are significantly more than broader directories. Niche directories are more succesful in the "paid listing" arena. You're not flooded with garbage listings and can be vented by humans relatively easily.

LaCabra, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  15. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As I said before, people don't need my endorsement to create/run their own directory. Plenty of people do it already.

digitalpoint, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  16. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Hi shawn, let me clarify...I was referring to a "DP member directory" .... I think I know what you are going to say but might as well say it and put it to rest I guess. ;)

LaCabra, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  17. Cristian Mezei

Cristian Mezei Notable Member

Best Answers:
    With all the posts been said in this thread, my honest opinion is that DP will NEVER have a directory. :)

Cristian Mezei, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  18. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, never say never (2 years ago I thought I would never run a forum), but running a directory is certainly not on my "to do" list. I can think of about 500 things I would rather do that are much more interesting.

digitalpoint, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  19. Hodgedup

Hodgedup Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Me too, about 400 of mine involve jell-o and 2 chicks though.

Hodgedup, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  20. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Wrong thread, dude! :p

Crazy_Rob, Jan 12, 2006 IP