1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

digitalpoint.com Down Time Today

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, May 10, 2004.

Sorry about the extended down time today...

There was a physical server move that required all servers and hardware to be physically moved to a different location. It was supposed to take one hour, but... well... you know how that goes. Had a network routing problem as well as some hardware issues.

Everything should be a-okay/100% now.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 10, 2004 IP
  2. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks good here ... we all knew you could do it, even with troubles.

Such Great Heights, May 10, 2004 IP
  3. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Hi,

great job looks perfect from where I sit. Having moved data and call centers I know it never works out like one plans. Brings back some memories.

Like a voice provider was telling me 2 hours before go live that they can't activate the required 210 lines as they where having faulty equipment....

Oh and than there was the datacenter in Delhi where an Elephant trod on the fibre...

And there was the technicial asking if he could borrow a swimsuit and a snorkel... the aircon had dripped into a diskarray and virtually flooded it.

Nevermind it's perfect.
    M

expat, May 11, 2004 IP
  4. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    S*it happens - had a similar situation recently where we lost power to the entire building (except for half of one floor) - Facilities folks are still stumped why is happened and such a large area affect. We have auto-monitoring/notification of power-related events, and my pager was fairly active that morning! ;-)

BTW, why the move - more bandwidth/horsepower? At the risk of sounding spoiled (you haven't raised the forum dues!), the DP forums don't quite seem as "snappy" as they used to be - the price of success?!? ;-)

alek

hulkster, May 11, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah, the move means a TON more bandwidth, better redundancy, better facility, etc.

It's at SimpleNet's main facility now:

http://www.simplenet.com/data_center.html

As far as the forum "snappiness", I'm thinking of possibly buying a new machine just for the forums. Not sure what yet, but I'm thinking a loaded up (hardware RAID 5, 8GB RAM, etc.) dual G5 Xserve might do nicely.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 11, 2004 IP
  6. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks pretty bad-ass ... although I notice it looks like they are mostly a NetApp and Cobalt ISP, so they are probably regretting the later now that is end-of-life ... and I personally wonder how NetApp is going to do - a nifty solution, but kinds pricey.

I assume you are just doing co-lo and buying bandwidth - wonder if you worked a barter a deal with these guys as the seach engine wizard ... but I'm probably asking too many questions in a public forum! ;-)

Your proposed server setup sounds smoking - I'll have to click on a few of your Adsense ads and make my contribution!

alek

P.S. I noticed what looks like a bad link on their web site - don't know how close you are to 'em, but in case you want to pass on, try clicking on the "general sales" link at http://www.simplenet.com/faqs/ which ends up doing a redirect to a non-FAQ looking page.

hulkster, May 11, 2004 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yep... I have a barter deal. I'm the biggest provider of ISP billing software out there.

Servers are my own, so I don't mess with (or even pay attention to) whatever servers they have in-house.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 11, 2004 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Thing should be faster now (as long as you are resolving to the new IP address). More info

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 15, 2004 IP
  9. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Will our forum dues be increasing next month?!? ;-)

Shawn ROCKS!
    alek

hulkster, May 15, 2004 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes, forum dues will be increasing tenfold. BTW, you are resolving to the old server still, so you can't tell yet. ;)

- Shawn

11. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Do Beserker's get 50% discounts on the increase?
    alek

P.S. Roger on the old IP - I could manually flip this over, but since I don't run my own DNS on my home machine, I'll just wait until the TTL rolls things over.

12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well if you get really bored, you could do it in your hosts file... but whatever. No biggie. Both servers are feeding on the same backend DB, and that's what's important.

- Shawn

13. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, I know I could tweek the hosts file, but I didn't want to bring that up ... since we run the risk of 99 other people chiming in about where is the host file, what the correct format, etc.

Plus after they make this change, they'll forget they did it and remove it after the TTL take effect ... and 6 months from now, you'll switch again, and then they'll ask you why their machine can't get to your site anymore since they have a hard-coded hostname/IP address! ;-)

So I figured I'll just wait a day - Hulk is patient!
    alek

14. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn,

I realize you allready know this, but just want to thank you publically for your change. TTL kicked in today, and the forum is a LOT snappier. I had gotten used to the "click on the link, wait about 5 seconds" mode when surfing - what I've seen so far is fast (wait about 1-2 seconds) and instantaneous (WHAM!) ... in fact, the first time the later happened, I thought I hadn't clicked on the next page in the thread.

Thanx again ... and feel free to use my testimonial for any customers that balk at paying the 10X forum fee! ;-)

alek

hulkster, May 17, 2004 IP