1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Digital Point Forums Losing Charms::Thanks to New Mods

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by spiderroost, Jan 31, 2007.

1. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You have a lot to say for only having a minor 270 posts! :eek:
    But let's think about this...the mods are VOLUNTEER; they're helping ALL of us out. Look how active this forum is and how little mods they are.

Personally I think they're doing a fucking fantastic job. They're moderating thousands of members and tens of thousands, if not more, each day.

I didn't like the infraction system at first but now it's alright. It's something you just have to live with. DP's a great place if you make it to be.

EGS, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  2. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    I liked Infractions system in beginning , but now i hate it :D because iam at 8 :p now :D [but infractions are given to members for their own mistakes ;)]

amitpatel_3001, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  3. Yfcadmin

Yfcadmin Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Infraction is like your criminal records... Shows Mods and Admins your past crimes. And make it easy to decide who the fu*k you are :D

Yfcadmin, Feb 13, 2007 IP
  4. *Mayank*

*Mayank* Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't really like to talk about infraction, though I am only at 4, and 2 getting over tomorrow. So, I'm far away from getting banner :rolleyes:

I just wanted to reflect one thing for which I got an infraction. At my sale thread, there were a few people whom I had left a PM, but got no reply, So i wasnt sure about i had left a pm or not. I just said at the thread, if I've left anyone, let me know! and "Selling more links" but that is deleted.
    Now Its sure, I can't say that ever at any sale thread of mine.

What comes up an infraction, when, no one knows!
    What should we do to avoid it? God knows?

I agree it is been given for our own mistakes. And I'm a very old member so I understand it pretty well, though sometimes find it like :mad:

What about the new members, who newly pop in to do business here? They are totally not aware of this things.

DP does not allow that feature, where it says, PM on infraction with a reason. The only 2 word reason I see "Bumping thread"
    Trust me, half the people dont even know what is "thread bumping"
    Now they start off a new thread in feedback place, saying got an infraction etc... explaining, WHY? Because they dont want to be banned from here and stop their business they just got into and are proud of!
    Now they get another infraction for making an infraction thread! wow!
    One of them I saw, asked how much points gets you banned? a newcomer? He got his last shot on that and was banned!
    Digital Point grows daily and it is also difficult to manage such a big forum. But there must be people to help around first! rather to just give an infraction without an explanation instead of 2 words reason!

*Mayank*, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  5. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Forumsolutions,

There are two sides to every question. Basically it is impractical to write a paragraph to everyone receiving an infraction. I try to add more info in note to a new member than to an old member. All too often members have chosen not to receive private messages so there is no way to impart information.

Posting guidelines and infraction info is found in the FAQ. Info there is supplemented in other pertinent catagories in stickies. A more detailed description of infractions is found in suggestions and feedback. Unfortunately, many do not read until after they have received a warning/infraction.

Smyrl, Feb 14, 2007 IP
    mcfox likes this.
  6. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Isn't that common sense. No one ever tell you cutting the line is wrong?

Many infraction is similar to real world's rule. Do you have two ID card? do you pick a fight with/curse at someone on the street?

ahkip, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  7. *Mayank*

*Mayank* Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agreed.
    Those who have chosen not to receive not to receive personal messages from mods/admins! are the first losers who have no right to complain. I run Vbulletin as well, there is a pre made thing while giving infractions, there is a message sent, however since there are tons of infractions given daily, its almost a pain to send detailed explanations. But that helps, if I am not wrong!
    Not a very big explanation, but small thing might help.
    I have few more things to say, can be read as below : -

I once got 5 pointer infraction!
    Now even 1-2 points could have done same thing. That made me to 9 points. Now I knew its 1 point and banned. I didnt want to get ban here as this is the best or maybe only main source of knowledge that I seek and of income ofcource.
    I had to almost stop posting till few infraction dates go down. Every post came up with a fear of getting banned. So there, its not me alone facing it! There must be many more. Some reduce posting or interacting even before. So there DP loses a point of growing more. There can be more and more registerations, but something might reduce, Interaction which is most wanted!

If I am not right, members who look more promising that they will stay, or are active and posting pretty good, or are members for long. A PM telling about something wrong they are doing can be sent instead of an infraction? This can help better make them stay and interact well. Because only old members or people who have been active for long and posting know that this is a very good place to be on.

I like the idea of PM though it is slow but effective? I ain't saying infractions are no use or it should not be given, but someone who even don't understand or commit mistake even after that. Talking to any one member explaining even a little bit is better than giving infractions to 10 people. A forum can only get much better that way. It is just a suggestion, no offence. There is no doubt DP rocks!, no one would disagree? :rolleyes: I hope you understand what I am saying but its difficult, and might ignore it if its useless suggestions.

Trust me, you say that since you have 5000+ posts and not only 5 posts!
    Go PM new comers and ask them "What is thread bumping" They will counter question it! Not everyone blessed like ya!

8. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I thought CrazyRob (maybe someone else, I forget) said that new members have a 10 point limit, but the older your account, the higher the number of infractions it takes to be banned.

lorien1973, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  9. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:

I don't think so, we all have ten point. If not it wouldn't be fair

ahkip, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  10. *Mayank*

*Mayank* Notable Member

Best Answers:

Are you sure? As far as I know VB features, Infractions settings in Admin Panel suggests a specific number of infraction points where a member (no matter what member group) gets banned (Banned in the sense, shifts its member group to banned member group)

11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    New members have a 5 point limit, established members are up to 10 points.

If you "allow emails from admins" (the default setting) in your control panel settings you should get feedback when you get an infraction.

I don't have the time or inclination to check to see if the group specific infraction limit is standard vB or a modification specific to this forum. I do, however, know that the tiers exist.

sarahk, Feb 14, 2007 IP
  12. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, I'm not sure. But I thought I read it at some point. I could be remembering something different. I'd like to search for it, but infractions is too common a word these days :)

Sarahk cleared it up, I was sorta right.

lorien1973, Feb 14, 2007 IP