1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Digg's front page "stories" are just ad's?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by ly2, Apr 21, 2006.

So yesterday I was reading digg as usual. I came to a front page story with the headline saying something to the likes that digg is nothing but advertisements made to look like "stories".

So whatever, I was reading the article and the author made some really interesting points. For one, he was claiming that a lot of the stories on the front page are nothing but paid ad's.
    He also pointed out that on the suspect "stories", there was a clear pattern.
    First, Kevin rose dugg it, then the next 50 people who dugg it were always the same people, exactly in order every single time. Pretty interesting right?
    So, I keep reading and he keeps pointing out all kinds of very interesting facts(I forgot most of them). But, one of the facts was that anytime this gets brought up and makes the front page, it is immediately deleted off the site and the author either gets banned or a warning for submitting a derogatory story.

So I finished reading the story and clicked the digg icon/header to return to the homepage and guess what? The story was gone. One of two things here, either they don't want bad stories about digg on digg.com, or perhaps they are trying to hide something?

I'm sure you all have seen some REAL lame ass stories on digg's front page, I know I have. I have seen stories on there and wondered "how in the hell did this make the front page?". Maybe this explains it. I dunno, just a thought, I figured I would throw this out there and see what people thought.

Also, I have actually made the front page before and can say first hand it does WONDERS for your serp rankings, traffic, popularity, and back links. I can understand how someone would be willing to pay BIG bucks to get something on the front page. And plus, if you have ever made the front page of digg, you already know their users don't click ad's for SH*T. So I cant think digg could survive off just AdSense alone, there's no way. I can only imagine how much bandwidth they use everyday lol

ly2, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  2. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    I love when people make up their own stories (First human clone with x-ray vision finds a shipment of heroin) and get to front page...

mightyb, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  3. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    Do you have a link to the story??? I would like to see it.

Emperor, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  4. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    Me? I was being hyperbolic.

mightyb, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  5. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    But it wasn't just made up, there have been other stories just like it and they all immediately get deleted.

And no, I cant link to it cause they deleted it after I read it, didn't save the URL. I didn't think anything of the story even, then I clicked back to the homepage and the story had been deleted lol

ly2, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  6. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
  7. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    nope, thats not the one. The one I read was on blogspot.
    But after reading it, he is bringing up the same points the other digg did, actually the link you listed gives even more examples of stuff. I think there's something to this to be honest...

ly2, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  8. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've just read on the official digg blog that they are having problems with people cheating digg either with coalitions of people digging away or with bots.

They are trying to sort it out though.

Notting

Notting, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  9. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    I have found a way to submit your website multiple times.

mightyb, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  10. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    cheeky cheeky

Notting

Notting, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  11. Halobitt

Halobitt Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So DIGG should actually be called RIGG(ed).

Halobitt, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  12. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:

Maybe? Who knows.
    Thats why I posted, I wanted to see if I was just insane, or if others thought it was possible too..

ly2, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  13. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's bound to happen.

I've been told that it's not possible to use bots on it as it's so secure. I figured if it was possible, it would've been done already - anyone know if it is?

Blitz, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  14. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    There was a great link (on DIGG) the other day showing how a programmer had reverse engineered most of the popular CAPTCHA image verification scripts... only a few were actually bot-proof at present time.

The whole 'conspiracy' going on now wasn't about bots per se but the DIGG management (including Kevin Rose) that were supposedly pushing stories manually to the front with bogus votes repeated in the exact same order across multiple posts.

TheHoff, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  15. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wait a sec... That's not true??

Phynder, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  16. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ly2, Apr 23, 2006 IP