1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

digg traffic is sh*t

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by equinoxprime, Nov 3, 2006.

If I was to compare it to my old days working in adult, I would compare digg traffic to "freeloaders". Meaning traffic that does nothing for you other than to leech of your content. Recently I've been reading more and more reports of the "digg effect" and how much money people managed to squeeze out of it.

Digg users are tech savvy, not really the dumb, naive crowd that would be easy to monetize by upselling them to Adsense or other affiliate programs. I am really dumbfounded by everyone seeming to try so hard to get their pages linked on there.

My suggestion:

E.g. if you have a tech site, and you have cool, link-worthy content, shoot for mainstream blogs with tons of traffic (like Gizmodo). You'll get a similar amount of traffic, and it'll be much easier to monetize while melting your server. Just send the editor(s) an email, submit your story manually and watch the traffic roll in. Additionally, you will get picked up by tons of other bloggers who, if they like your site, will give you free backlinks.

Rinse and repeat.

equinoxprime, Nov 3, 2006 IP
  2. WillB

WillB Peon

Best Answers:
    Digg can be a good way of raising awareness within a community. Bloggers trawl through social bookmarkers like Digg and delicious looking for hot stories to post about.

I'd say do both - Digg and contact larger blogs directly.

WillB, Nov 4, 2006 IP
  3. Gekkie

Gekkie Peon

Best Answers:
    Friend of mine got a page on the digg website got some decent visitors and money out it and some extra returning visitors.

Gekkie, Nov 4, 2006 IP
  4. MatthewN

MatthewN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digg isnt always about the immediate influx of visitors creating cash. It gets you plenty of backlinks which in turn help with search engine rankings and makes people more aware. The more sites that link the more are aware a higher amount of people visit and it helps your site grow :)

Of course Digg is just 1 way of helping your site grow but I wouldnt sweat if your site doesnt make it to the home page.

MatthewN, Nov 4, 2006 IP
  5. Black_Hand

Black_Hand Peon

Best Answers:
    i don't quite agree with you...if you can make it to the front of Digg...you'll know what it can do for u..

Black_Hand, Nov 4, 2006 IP
  6. MatthewN

MatthewN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Who dont you agree with in the thread?

MatthewN, Nov 4, 2006 IP
  7. emthree

emthree Peon

Best Answers:
    I think changes will come soon. These social bookmark sites are becomming more and more mainstream. There's alot of new users and potential clients.

emthree, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  8. Sleepy_Sentry

Sleepy_Sentry Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you. Many newbie webmasters do not understand what Digg traffic really is.

But you can make money with Adsense from it. I've made a good bit of change with Adsense from Digg traffic. But it can also really hurt your CTR and get you smart priced.

Sleepy_Sentry, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  9. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I must say it brings good traffic and money to ....
    Not very related traffic but good traffic

w3bmaster, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  10. AndyG

AndyG Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah traffic from Digg may not be the best, but it does provide an opportunity for LOTS of people to view your site increasing the chances it may get picked up by a more relative outlet.

AndyG, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  11. j0n

j0n Peon

Best Answers:
    There are other ways to take advantage of digg traffic other than sticking some adsense up on the page and hoping some of the tech savvy digg users accidently click on one.

CPM ads are a great example, it makes no difference if someone clicks on them or not; you're still getting the cash. Adding popups / unders to your site for a day or two might be a good idea depending on your websites topic.

Excluding those two options though, like already mentioned you're just getting your site name and brand out there. If you're websites content is digg-worthy you're obviously doing something right and traffic will grow steadily on it's own.

j0n, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  12. Jasonb

Jasonb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it depends what sort of site too... you could have a site that you pay loads of peaple to digg and you can get it to the front page. If its a rubbish site that no one is intrested in youll just get traffic but no one will buy anything/click adsence or return ect... if its a great site and a great story and a good service ect.. then youll make money

Jasonb, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  13. SCW1975

SCW1975 Peon

Best Answers:
    The backlinks and blog postings are worth more than any PPC nonsense you can stick on the page. Look at the bigger picture.

more backlinks = higher serps = more organic traffic
    Quality of traffic: organic traffic > all other traffic combined

SCW1975, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  14. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    Bandwidth is cheap these days, that's why Digg is worth it.

PayItForward, Nov 14, 2006 IP