1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Digg spamming on a grand scale

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by mad4, Jul 3, 2006.

1. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you read my last line it says "I'm not thinking of doing this".

My point was just that people spend their lives trying to spam or influence search engines and I sometimes find it surprising that nobody has tried to spam the web 2.0 sites on a large scale.

mad4, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  2. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    I think its not useful thing to do because digg team would order in first place and then track the diggers.In this way you would loose all your diggers at once. :)

Mong, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  3. adpd

adpd Guest

Best Answers:
    Great point; I couldn't agree with you more.

I think people get caught up in the moment, so to speak. They get it into their head, and follow it through regardless of the amount of time it consumes.

You are right that if the time was spent writing something original, they would probably see far more benefit.

adpd, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  4. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've actually hit the front pages of Digg and Shoutwire before (not though spam) and have to say it's actually pretty useful as you say in terms of links. I'm still getting traffic to the deep linked pages a few months later.

I'm sure it's happening already, you can even get some good links without coming anywhere close to the index page.

MattUK, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  5. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    mad4, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  6. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    I have heard some people have ways to game digg =P

Shoemoney, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  7. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    MattUK, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  8. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    I pm'ed the guy and it doesn't look like its related to this thread. Somebody has a full site set up to do it!

mad4, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  9. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of people claim that search based on social bookmarking will end spam. I think this shows that people will find a way no matter what. Even if it's sometimes easier to just create a good site!

MattUK, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  10. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm interested.

For all you 'Omfg ur an idiot 4 thinkin of spammin such a wonderful site'

I read the Digg terms of service and I didn't see anything about spamming forums asking people to Digg their page. What's the principal difference in that, and doing it on a larger scale with a website dedicated to digging peoples sites? Might I add that I don't even have a Digg account and/or any content which is worthy of being digged (I don't need vast amounts of traffic), so this is pure curiosity.

Blitz, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  11. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    To be clear I am not actually doing anything here - contact this guy instead of me. :)

mad4, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm happy to be identified by my regular username on Digg. If I dugg any old crap that would reflect back on me. These guys obviously don't see it that way - or they're using a secondary account (& 3rd, 4th, 5th?)

Where there's a buck there's a spammer...

sarahk, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  13. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    the people that are really railing digg have tens of thousands of accounts

Shoemoney, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  14. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There are many ppl who don't know shit beside making quick money. Actually, you don't even need new unique content. If you find something that not much ppl know, give it a cool title you can make digg front page too

if you do a story about this guy, it can easily go on front page unless someone cover it before or digg's editor think it is such a shame ...

ahkip, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  15. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How are they doing it? I would've thought that the proxies would become a problem (10k proxies?) and not to mention easy to detect (unless they login at different times/ digg other stories/ spend random amounts on accounts ect) it would be really easy to detect them with some variables and if they wanted to do it properly then it would probably be too expensive/time consuming to code for the risky reward at the end of it?

If this is true then Digg has really bad admins/security.

Blitz, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  16. tomzx

tomzx Peon

Best Answers:
    well, wouldn't it be simple if we just gave our nickname on digg and we all befriended each other and each time we saw a new story from someone, we would digg it, I mean, THEY give us the tools to do so, why not use them?

tomzx, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  17. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    so what's the point of having digg? Another place for you to spam the net?

ahkip, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  18. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Because unfortunately membership of DP doesn't the articles you submit to Digg are a) diggable or b) universally interesting

sarahk, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  19. tomzx

tomzx Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't get both ahkip and sarahk points. Please rephrase or extend your comment.

tomzx, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  20. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    We're both saying that a group that diggs the members stories at digg or anywhere else is spam.

The point of the stories (in a world without spam) is to measure the popularity of a story and only quality stories would attract a large number of diggs and therefore rank well.

To pervert this pure system encourages spam (you post to get ad clicks or to sell a product or service associated with your site).

I can show you stories from DigitalPoint members which I believe falls into the spam category. They have no value, yet because the writer has requested a digg here people have viewed the story. There's no problem there. The problem arises when people actually digg it because they don't know better or they feel some sort of obligation.

Infact, posting at a forum is just another marketing tool. Digg should love it because they get lots of good spider food - internal, inbound links.
    They get people talking about Digg.
    Busy people will return to Digg where they might easily have forgotten it.

Now, I have submitted a few stories to Digg and none have made it out of the double digits, some haven't even made it to 10! this could mean
    * I've submitted dross
    * I've misread what people are interested in
    * The topic was too niche for a general technical site like Digg

I'd like to think my error was in the second or third option. Whatever, the people have spoken.

To artificially promote those higher would be unethical. I've had good feedback. Diggers have had the opportunity to read this stuff. And it goes on my permanent record - as does my digg and comment history.

I stand by the lot.

I wonder if you would - if you dugg every piece of shite that got submitted?

sarahk, Jul 4, 2006 IP