1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Different paths/funnels, same landing page

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by Cypherus, Mar 15, 2010.

Hi there,

I have an little issue with Google Analytics.

Imagine a website with the following pages:

- Product 1 info
    - Product 1 ordering page
    - Product 2 info
    - Procut 2 ordering page
    - Thank you for ordering page.

So in other words two actions you can do on the website (order product 1 or 2) and you get the same landing page for both of them. In total I have setup 3 goals for this:

- Orders product 1
    - Orders product 2
    - Total orders

Here are they paths:

Orders product 1: infopage1, order page1, thank you.
    Orders product 2: infopage2, order page2, thank you.
    Total order: Thank you.

Now my problem is that they all show the same numbers of conversions, regardless of what path the user took. I've setup the funnels correctly and I've checked "required step" on the first page in the funnel part. I figured I could just add some variables to the thank-you-page URL like thankyou.html?produkt=1, but I was hoping there would be an easier way to lock down a path just using Google analytics.

PS: In the real case there are 8 different products and this is not a webshop. I just used two products as an example to simplify things.

Cypherus, Mar 15, 2010 IP
  2. camp185

camp185 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like you set up your goals wrong. When creating your goal make your you picked the right Match Type (found under goal details). Click the little help button next to Match Type and it will explain to you exactly which one to pick.

camp185, Mar 17, 2010 IP
  3. khalidh

khalidh Peon

Best Answers:
    you will probably need to breakdown your funnels further down. The checkout process should be its own funnel. Also, setup a funnel from product pages to order confirmation page. You should consider using different match types to create these funnels.

khalidh, Mar 21, 2010 IP