1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Different Data Centers, Redux

Discussion in 'Google' started by Owlcroft, May 6, 2004.

This is getting silly.

I look in Shawn's keyword tool and I am about #36. I look with the McDar tool and I range from #33 to #37. OK, shrung and sigh.

I look on Google itself and I am #7. I recall, as if a feverdream, a couple of nights ago when I was #17 and #18 on repeated, spaced calls. Today, on two calls some minutes apart, still #7. I believe I have mentioned here before, some time ago, that whatever Google is serving me, I am consistently higher than those tools report--but, as I said, this difference is just silly.

How can Google be a "search engine" if it tells Mr. A that I am the 36th most relevant site for certain keywords, while simultaneously telling Ms. B that I am the 7th most relevant? Sure, I love looking at my screen and seeing myself on the front page--but I have to ask myself, is that my "real" SERP? What is Google all about? I would expect that anyone in the world, at any moment, searching for a given phrase should get a set of answers in which nothing varies by more than 2 or 3 spots--not by almost 30 spots.

(Mind, I have been on Yahoo's 20-item front page for many weeks now, while Google was juggling me from #84 to #27).

And while I'm yelping, how much difference does anyone feel the order of search terms should make to results? Is it, do we suppose, perfectly sound and right that a search for X Y and a search for Y X turn out drastically different results (such as #29 and #7)? I'm not flat asserting that it isn't right, but such a large differential seems weird.

(Now maybe 10 minutes have passed, and I'm still at #7--it wasn't a momentary glitch, and it's what I am consistently being served at this time.)

Owlcroft, May 6, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What keyword/URL are you seeing that with?

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 6, 2004 IP
  3. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    The phrase I enter into Google is--

fantasy science fiction​
    --exactly so, no quotation marks, no hyphens, no nuttin'.

Of course, now, some hours later, the tide has gone out again, and I am apparently #35, which is in line with the keyword tool here and with McDar's results. But my ecstasy was not one brief, random moment: it lasted for, oh, 20 minutes (I mean, it could have been many hours--I'm egocentric, but not so much so that I'll sit a my screen hour after hour polling Google). And it came back that way every time, on at least several tries.

The URL is http://greatsfandf.com, which is how I am set at your keyword tool, Shawn. I have long now (oh, weeks anyway) had a redirect for the www. form to what I consider my canonical form, which is sans the www. (Jeez, and I used to criticize others for using sans as an English word--how low we sink).

I do wish I knew how and why SERPs seem to be like old-time AM radio stations a long ways off as heard late at night--now strong, now fading, now gone, now strong again. I didn't believe the #17/#18 I was getting late one night a week or so ago, and sure enough, like a fever-dream, it was gone in the morning. But now . . . ?

Where is the datacenter that is giving me these tantalizing tastes of celebrity?

Owlcroft, May 7, 2004 IP