1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Difference between SQL and Oracle?

Discussion in 'Databases' started by techendeavour, May 30, 2011.

1. MarkYie

MarkYie Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been using oracle for more than 10 years. I also have using MySql a few time. fo me, All SQL command quite the same. In therm of security, oracle have better secirity than MySql. In term of price - Oracle license pricing is very high.:D

MarkYie, Oct 23, 2011 IP
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You just about have it. Oracle uses SQL, but has some extensions that many databases don't have.

It depends on what you need. Probably 99% of database applications could use MySQL. But for those that need more, Oracle is worth the money. (And if you need even more, there are more expensive databases - that run on more expensive hardware - that can scale way beyond Oracle.)

Rukbat, Oct 24, 2011 IP
  3. kishanterry

kishanterry Peon

Best Answers:
    I would suggest to go with Oracle. It would be a long term investment of knowledge and energy. Oracle is a robust RDBMS and I work in a company where Oracle sits in the heart of our systems.

But then again, it depends on the context where you want to apply your database skills. For websites MySQL is the best. I would comment much on MS SQL since I haven't used it a lot.

Cheers

kishanterry, Oct 29, 2011 IP
  4. waqas0323

waqas0323 Peon

Best Answers:
    For years now there's been a constant war between Microsoft supporters and Oracle supporters. Oracle has these features, SQL Server has these features, etc. But that's not really where the real importance lies. Sure, functionality is a part of it because your database should be able to do what you need it to do. However, do you want to know what the real difference between the two companies is and why Microsoft has made such a strong impact in the industry?
    The answer is simple: information. Microsoft has built such a strong community and its members are committed to helping each other. There are so many forums out there you just don't have time to go to them all. And one of the most amazing things I've found is that the MSDN forums are actually sharked by Microsoft's own PSS and dev teams. You just can't get any better than that. You've got both the guys on the support team, and the guys who actually write the code helping you with your problem. You've got MVPs out there writing new and exciting books like crazy. They're really giving up all the secrets on how SQL works, and what you can do with it.
    Oracle is still living in the old days where everything is a good ole boys club. This is the world of Linux and Unix where they started, and it's a dinosaur, man. You just can't afford to do business like that anymore. You have to open up your community and start programs to encourage your best people to help and teach.
    If you take any 10 DBAs from each side and ask them to look up a solution to a problem on their platform, the SQL guys will find the answer much faster than the Oracle guys will. And that's just a fact. If you're looking on specifics on how Oracle works internally, it's almost impossible to ferret out the info, but with SQL, there are so many open resources it's just a matter of a few minutes to an answer.
    Microsoft also has a Connect Web site where users can enter in bugs and feature requests, and these requests go straight to the dev team. Your voice gets heard.
    So the real difference between these two platforms is community. Microsoft has gone to great lengths to build a community and really support it. And Oracle is still doing business the old way. It's almost like Oracle's still proud that they're holding on to the good ole boys club. They're proud of how complicated everything has to be in Oracle. Knowledge is for the few and the special. And this attitude is pervasive in third-party vendors as well. Look at all the vendors out there making video training. I haven't seen any for Oracle, but SQL has tons. OK, I've seen a couple for Oracle, but they're all that old style CBT from the 1990s. But there aren't any high-level Oracle people out there making video training that's affordable for the end user.

waqas0323, Nov 2, 2011 IP
  5. kristenmorey111

kristenmorey111 Peon

Best Answers:
    Oracle is more secure and stronger then MySQL...so it is powerful but Mysql is also a complete database system with free of cost

kristenmorey111, Nov 4, 2011 IP
  6. alice757

alice757 Guest

Best Answers:
    Oracle is best database and SQL Structure Query Language is low level database..

alice757, Nov 4, 2011 IP
  7. futureslay

futureslay Peon

Best Answers:
    Oracle is stronger and more secure, but if you're a beginner, SQL is not only easier to learn but also supported by a wider range of applications that are available for install.

futureslay, Nov 7, 2011 IP
  8. jaffary.vincent

jaffary.vincent Peon

Best Answers:
    SQL is basically of Microsoft window based data based design by microsoft in 1989 since 1.0 version to 10.0 .
    9.0 is Sql server 2005
    10.0 is Sql Server 2008

While oracle is for Linex oriented mainly having more advance .Now the latest version of Oracle is oracle 9i and oracle 10i

jaffary.vincent, Nov 8, 2011 IP
  9. md87

md87 Peon

Best Answers:
    If I had lot of money, I would buy database from Oracle. But I don't, so I use MySQL. :D

md87, Nov 8, 2011 IP
  10. iliveforyou

iliveforyou Active Member

Best Answers:
    SQL Server database and Oracle database are used by companies and you need license to use commercially.
    If you can not afford the license, then use mysql database.
    SQL Server use sql language: Sql Tutorial/, Oracle use pl/sql language: Oracle Tutorial.

iliveforyou, Nov 9, 2011 IP
  11. shanmugappriya

shanmugappriya Peon

Best Answers:
    Some difference between Oracle and Sql
    SQL is more of a pure database - Oracle requires client install and setup
    Oracle runs on many platforms - SQL on Windows only
    ailover support in SQL is much -much easier
    SQL Server is much easier to administrate - with GUI and command- line tools.

shanmugappriya, Nov 18, 2011 IP
  12. Caramon

Caramon Member

Best Answers:
    There's arguments to use either, depends on what you want from your Database system.

MySQL is open source and good to learn in your own time for your own projects - and also quite scalable for your own small business.

Microsoft SQLServer is normally regarded as the next step up, but can compare in some arenas to Oracle - and there are websites with transactional tests to prove it.

Oracle is not now just a database, it has Fusion Middleware (Weblogic, Application Server etc) and e-business (Financials), and Webcentre suite (similar to Microsoft Sharepoint).

If you're looking for a career, the Microsoft SQL Server (with Sharepoint etc) or Oracle with all of their products are good areas to get into.

As for the statement about Oracle "living in the old days" - total rubbish.
    There are plenty of forums out there with Oracle support. Oracle will run on Windows aswell as any Unix platform. It's costly, yes; but in many cases the company is not just buying an Oracle Database, they are buying an Oracle solution. (As they can also do with Microsoft SQL Server, Sharepoint etc).

Oh, and just to point out - Oracle now own MySQL....

Caramon, Nov 18, 2011 IP
  13. dblue_one

dblue_one Peon

Best Answers:
    That is a question that no one can answer for sure. A lot off "ink" ran already in papers and internet forums and study cases.
    In my 5 years experience as DBA Oracle/SQL Server/Mysql a quick simple answer:

Oracle - reliable, safe, fast (in linux environment), hard to get in to, ideal for big enterprise databases
    SQl Server - It's Microsoft, cheaper that Oracle, easy off use, great for medium enterprise databases
    Mysql - It's free and it's free and as another advantage....it's free.

dblue_one, Nov 21, 2011 IP
  14. iliveforyou

iliveforyou Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes MySQL is free but is for small business.

iliveforyou, Nov 22, 2011 IP
  15. hatem774

hatem774 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think Oracle, it is stronger

hatem774, Dec 16, 2011 IP
  16. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In your 5 years of experience, did you learn the difference between Oracle and the language it uses, SQL? That was the original question - SQL or Oracle - and it's like asking whether wheels or a car is the better choice of transportation.

Rukbat, Dec 16, 2011 IP
  17. webmaster4321

webmaster4321 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, this is exactly correct.

webmaster4321, Dec 23, 2011 IP
  18. rising_sun

rising_sun Peon

Best Answers:
    Oracle is case-sensitive and MS SQL is case-insensitive by default. It leads to more gotchas and bugs than you'd think!

rising_sun, Dec 24, 2011 IP
  19. andyrobert877

andyrobert877 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Oracle used by many companies because it provide the best security from sql database.

andyrobert877, Jan 31, 2012 IP
  20. ezprint2008

ezprint2008 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It depends also in what your program language is, do you use PHP, etc?
    PHP and SQL go together like peanutbutter and jelly. Also most of the forums and scripts you will find for SQL will be heavily tied in with PHP
    I can't remember seeing an SQL that was being interfaced with another language, that may be because I use PHP , not sure. But I DO know the majority of SQL language and scripts using SQL will be heavily connected with PHP. As you might already know SQL has a language to connect/interact with database Where * etc. But, I'm referring to most of the scripts, tutorials, help etc you will find are by majority dealing with how to connect PHP scripts within SQL commands and back out of database to PHP scripts. If you dont choose the right database based on your program language you may find yourself scouring Google for those rare examples using your language.

ezprint2008, Feb 5, 2012 IP