1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Difference between DMOZ search results and DMOZ listing???!??!

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by ChR0n1k, Nov 19, 2012.

I own a couple sites listed in DMOZ. When I search the url minus any http:// or anything (so just MYWEBSITE.COM) all of the sites I have submitted show up here.

However, a few of them DO NOT show up in the actual directory listing. So when I click the category of my website in the search results, my website isn't in the category, just in the search.

What does this mean? Is this not a true DMOZ listing, or does it still count?

Please note, when using online checking software all the sites appear to be listed in dmoz, even the ones only in the search.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some insight. :confused:

ChR0n1k, Nov 19, 2012 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Are you looking in the category you submitted to, or the one they got listed in. The can often be different.

Also, the search updates slower than the directory. There is a chance, your sites got removed, and are still lingering in the search database.

Qryztufre, Nov 19, 2012 IP
  3. ChR0n1k

ChR0n1k Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply, I am looking at the category that site is in from the search results.

I think I figured it out based on your advice. 2 of the sites that are showing up in search but not in their former directory spots had some server/database issues and were down and showing 404 pages for 10+ days. I am assuming this is why they are in the search and not the directory anymore, the delay of them still lingering the database after being removed from the directory for having a dead site.

My final question is, should I resubmit now that the sites are all back up and running smoothly? Will my site be put back in quicker than a fresh submission because of my history with DMOZ?

It's not the end of the world, but it would be kinda crappy to have to wait several months again for a listing...

ChR0n1k, Nov 19, 2012 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If your site was down (server issues) there is a QC bot that removes it from the public, and flags it. Flagged sites have a higher priority.

Do not resubmit.

But don't worry if it does take months, you likely wont notice ;)

Qryztufre, Nov 19, 2012 IP
  5. ChR0n1k

ChR0n1k Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes 2 were down from server issues. The last one that is doing this the domain expired and showed a parking page for a few weeks until I renewed it during the grace period. The reg account had an expired credit card on it :eek:

So I am assuming the QC checker bot looks for expired domains, parking pages, 404 errors, etc. and will remove them using an algo...kinda like our friends at the big G.

Sounds good, I will just wait and probably check again in a few weeks when I randomly remember to.

Thanks tons for your advice!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    ChR0n1k, Nov 19, 2012 IP
  6. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The sites are not lost in DMOZ, they are taken from the public view of the directory, but can still be seen by editors. An editor will review the site, unless that has already been done by an editor and booted, but that will have to wait like suggested sites for an editor to volunteer to work that section and look at sites taken out because of errors, no telling how long that can be. But don't re-suggest, the chances of it having been booted is slim and editors take dim views of re-suggesting and sometimes sites can get booted as spam like that.

Anonymously, Nov 19, 2012 IP