1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Difference between a book and an ebook...

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by stanleytang, Oct 11, 2008.

When somebody hears:

"I sell ebooks" - negative connotation of get rich quick guy

But if you say:

"I sell books" - positive connotation of an authoritative guy

Weird huh?

stanleytang, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  2. UnFunded

UnFunded Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, if you're not spammy, then an ebook is books when you say it - because it's a book but not on paper.

if you make and specialize in ebooks, not books whether or paper or not, chances are the negativity is accurate :p

Exceptions to every rule ^^

UnFunded, Oct 11, 2008 IP
  3. BUSA

BUSA Peon

Best Answers:
    Thing is that nowadays every one is selling ebooks for 67$ or so and then offering you a discount, more of a scam then anything else.

BUSA, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  4. magda

magda Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ebooks are like vanity publishing - it's (mostly) stuff that a real publisher wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

magda, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  5. angel007

angel007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm ebook are just books that are digital..just because it is easier to create, most of them are low in quality hence the negative connotation attached to it.

angel007, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  6. shacow

shacow Active Member

Best Answers:
    ebooks are too easy for people to pirate.. once they are released, all the top torrent sites have them.. and most p2p servers..

I would prefer a hard copy in the form of a book.

shacow, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  7. Gothic

Gothic Peon

Best Answers:
    nothing beats the good old book in my hands :)

Gothic, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  8. MelogKnaj

MelogKnaj Guest

Best Answers:
    It's because real books actually have some value to their reader and aren't just internet marketing scams.

MelogKnaj, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  9. blogdude

blogdude Peon

Best Answers:
    The same info in ebooks can be found by searching for it in forums like this or on Google. There is no need to pay for it as that is exactly where the ebooks authors got the exact same info - they just rewrote it and usually forget to credit the original source.

blogdude, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  10. Elljay

Elljay Guest

Best Answers:
    I much prefer books. I have purchased a couple of ebooks in the past and although they have been good I have printed them and read them in my bed at night, haha, good old fashioned ways:)

Elljay, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  11. GetSomeCashOnline

GetSomeCashOnline Banned

Best Answers:
    And that stereotypical attitude towards ebooks is exactly what creates the bad reputation surrounding them.

GetSomeCashOnline, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  12. MelogKnaj

MelogKnaj Guest

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately that stereotype is true. Ebooks are just another way for people to rip of individuals new to the internet marketing business.

MelogKnaj, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  13. blogdude

blogdude Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes. 100% of ebooks are worthless. Go to your local torrent like Pirate Bay and download them all for free just like most others do. If you can't find it on that torrent there are thousands more and I am sure several of them have what you are looking for. If you still can't find it that means it is truly a terrible ebook as no one wants it.

blogdude, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  14. Hagen

Hagen Peon

Best Answers:
    Really? All of them? Every single one?

I've bought some ebooks with incredibly useful information, so I beg to differ. But still, I know where you're coming from. There are a lot of REALLY shitty ebooks out there too, and a lot of them do tend to be geared towards newbies who don't know any better.

One of the reasons for it is that a lot of gurus give the (horrible) advice of using PLR material as the source content for ebooks. From an author standpoint, that may be practical, but most PLR content is poorly written outsourced stuff that looks like it was written by a second grader. Or even if not, it's outdated. So telling people to use that as a source just guarantees that the same outdated information keeps floating around in circulation.

Even so, a big barrier that keeps people from getting anywhere with E-Books is the fact that 90% people who read ANY book don't do anything with the information. They play around with it for a while and when it doesn't make them a zillion dollars overnight, they go looking for the next big thing.

Hagen, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  15. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Books and e-books are the same to me.

It's the authors that make a difference.

copper12, Oct 12, 2008 IP
  16. stanleytang

stanleytang Guest

Best Answers:
    You can't say just because they are "e"books doesnt mean they content is worse than books... I can EASILY turn my ebooks into books by simply going to lulu.com, and the content is still exactly the same. I guess its just that books have a higher "perceived" value than ebooks... even when the content is the same.

stanleytang, Oct 13, 2008 IP
  17. forous

forous Peon

Best Answers:
    They the same to me also. I prefer to use digital product instead of ebook.

forous, Oct 13, 2008 IP
  18. greyhatdude

greyhatdude Peon

Best Answers:
    I've started doing this with a few ebooks on SEO, linkbuilding and social bookmarking- I refer to them so much that I want a hard copy to hold in my hands and refer to. Ends up costing me $25+ per book, so I'm very selective about what I print. I tried compiling several books into one large reference book, but that became pretty expensive and it also didn't look good because of the different fonts. So I am rewriting a few old ebooks that I love, cutting out a lot of filler, adding my notes/my own spin, compiling the new book for my own use, and printing it through Lulu.

If it ends up being original enough maybe I will try selling it through Lulu or some other service - but not as an ebook. Hmmmm... anyone know of good alternatives to Lulu.com?

AND would anyone buy a hard copy of a well-written, polished, and useful Book if they were given a few sample chapters in ebook form? I'm wondering about that ISBN stuff, too....

greyhatdude, Oct 13, 2008 IP
  19. stanleytang

stanleytang Guest

Best Answers:
    Alternatives will be finding a real publisher - wiley, penguin, random house. Who knows you may get lucky and become a international bestselling author :)

stanleytang, Oct 14, 2008 IP
  20. bobbylove321

bobbylove321 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The only reason a book sounds better is because it is in the real world and people naturally have more respect for you. After all, not everyone can get a publisher to publish their books in the outside world. However, if you want to go and start an online business, then ebook is obviously the more cost effective way to go.

bobbylove321, Oct 14, 2008 IP