1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Diff in FF and IE6?

Discussion in 'CSS' started by le007, Jan 28, 2009.

1. eric.r

eric.r Peon

Best Answers:
    Its not bad if you have to work on 20 sites a day though. It can speed up the process. I don't use it, its just that someone in a different forum brought that to my attention

~eric

eric.r, Jan 29, 2009 IP
  2. influx08

influx08 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi sorry to hijack the thread but I am also having trouble getting my site to view properly in IE6.

It looks like png images arent letting the background overlap it and i think it may be a problem with my stlyesheet as some of the images havent loaded and the layout is all over the place?? (Just a guess mind)

I have validated it before you say that and i only have 4 errors which dont appear to be anything detrimental (border img and src tags not recognised or something)

If anyone can give me some advice it would be most appreciated!!

my website is here and the screen shot in IE6 is here

Thanks in advance

influx08, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  3. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Do a google search on IE6 and PNG's... you're seeing a grey background on all your PNG's which have transparency, right? (I didn't check). That's pretty normal. There are ways around it. My solution is usually, giving smart browsers the pngs and giving IE6 the ugly gif : ) IE6 has not problems with non-transparent PNGs or gifs with transparency.

It's not the number of errors, it's what they are. I single error can destroy a page, and a page can have a bazillion errors, none of which affect the page layout in any browser.

I'd say, start another thread, with your site, a picture of it in IE6 (lots of people just don't have that one anymore) and go ahead and make a link to the validator's report of your site (cause we may or may not help you, but we are ALL lazy).

Leo: nobody can give you a little piece of code to fix this. It needs correction on almost every line. A total rewrite. Browsers can understand ghetto slang but because it's not Standard English they guess a lot at what you mean. When you use tags that don't exist they don't know what to do with them, and guess. Like children, you have to tell browsers explicitly what to do in clear, plain, correct English. Meaning, clear, plain, correct HTML and CSS. Otherwise it will never ever work.

Stomme poes, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  4. eric.r

eric.r Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea start a new thread. I don't have IE6 anymore. I use browsershots.org also. @ the post above. I think there is an IE6 bug with PNG's isnt there? I think I saw something on p.i.e earlier.

~eric

eric.r, Jan 30, 2009 IP
  5. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Eric,
    if you have a PNG with alpha transparency (the type that uses a separate channel and lets you do things like have half-transparent, half-coloured pixels), IE6 doesn't know what to do with that channel and so will substitute a grey background wherever the transparency it.

There are Javajunk fixes for it. I'd rather try to avoid the PNG for IE in the first place, if possible.

Stomme poes, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  6. eric.r

eric.r Peon

Best Answers:
    Until IE supports PNG's fully, I just use either jpg or gif images. Does the job for me.

~eric

eric.r, Feb 3, 2009 IP
  7. Rossdimassimo

Rossdimassimo Peon

Best Answers:
    use js or php to detect the browser and then depending on the browser show a different page.

Rossdimassimo, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  8. Rossdimassimo

Rossdimassimo Peon

Best Answers:
    IE cannot detect transparent PNG itll show it with a gray background. there is no way to fix this besides using the background color in your image

Rossdimassimo, Feb 4, 2009 IP
  9. influx08

influx08 Guest

Best Answers:
    Sounds handy, how do you do that exactly?

influx08, Feb 6, 2009 IP
  10. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Half-assed. You ask the browser what they are, and then serve the page. Since browsers lie, this is total BS.

Microsoft did this with I think with their MSN home page. Opera users got a shit page, while everyone else could see it fine. Opera responded by releasing a Bork version of their browser-- if you went to the MSN page with it, all you'd see was Bork Bork Bork.

Opera was maybe the first to make it really easy to lie about which user agent it was. You can do it in I think any browser now. You can make websites think you're using IE when you're really using FF. Google it.

The CSS way to send different images to IE is much easier and doesn't force users to load some shit script.

#someelement {
    blah styles;
    background: url(blah.png) 0 0 no-repeat;
    }
    * html #someelement {background-image: url(blah.gif);

What I do, cause it's easier and the images I do this on are small. Only IE6 and under users will even call for the gif, and modern browsers will only call for the png, no browser sniffing necessary.

Browser sniffing is a dirty practise, something you certainly wouldn't want your grandmother to see you doing in public.

Stomme poes, Feb 9, 2009 IP
  11. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Which is about fifty times more polite than how I would describe that. 'nuff said.

Taking a look at the code for your site - gee, I wonder why you are having problems. Bunch of javascripted nonsense for something CSS can do better, That STUPID MALFING IE conditional table nonsense for a flyout menu (which is just automatically made of /FAIL/), absurd number of div's and classes, presentational ID and class names, heading order that doesn't make any sense, images for text content with no fallbacks, and over 10k of markup on a page that has less than 600 bytes of actual CONTENT.

Chuck it and start over. Probably not your fault - whoever taught you HTML/CSS or whoever wrote the book(s) you are getting your technique from probably needs to be dragged around back o' the woodshed with a 12 guage.

deathshadow, Feb 9, 2009 IP