1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

diference between merchant account and credit card processor

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by alarik, Dec 21, 2006.

I have stumbled into a rather new deal for me,I am working on a website and I want my visitors to have the posibility of using their credit cards.I knew that for this I need a merchant account but in a few hours I just realised it's not that simple.
    So I turn to you and ask you what exacly is the diference between a merchant account and a credit card processor.

alarik, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  2. Corey Bryant

Corey Bryant Texan at Heart

Best Answers:
    Well a credit card processor is basically who gives you a merchant account. A lot of this is just semantics and who calls what etc.

Depending on your needs, you will get a merchant account provider who will also set you up with an electronic payment gateway (LinkPoint, Verisign's Payflow, Authorizenet.com, etc).

There is also IPSP (internet payment service providers) like Paypal and 2CO. These companies basically have a merchant account and you use their system to accept credit cards.

If you are in the United States and plan on doing more than $1,000 a month - a merchant account is sometimes better - cheaper and faster. With a merchant account, you will get your money automatically (in a couple of days) and with an IPSP, you usually have to wait or contact them to get your money. This costs you time - something that sometimes you might not have.

Corey Bryant, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  3. alarik

alarik Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well the business I am thinking about may reach $50.000 in about 1 year,but at the start I guess I have to invest in it all the money I get out of it.I am from Romania,and my business is adult.What do you recomment me?
    Thanks a lot for your information,it is most apreciated:)

alarik, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  4. Corey Bryant

Corey Bryant Texan at Heart

Best Answers:
    For adult and your location - it is going to be much hard for you to get a merchant account.

If it is membership based, you might check out CCBill. I am not certain if they will support your country or not. 2000charge.com might be able to help you out but with that volume they might desire more

Corey Bryant, Dec 22, 2006 IP