1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Did the search engines devalue directories?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by shahab6, Oct 17, 2007.

1. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Is that a bad thing though? The directory scene was becoming to saturated with general directories. I'm all for competition, but when it gets to the stage where its so obvious people are in it for a quick dollar then it goes over the line.

The Pheonix, Oct 20, 2007 IP
    gabbs22 likes this.
  2. shahab6

shahab6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is true, but not all directories were equal, some of them had high PR, which was good for links.
    It is a bad thing, if directories were really devalue, then it would pretty much pointless to submit to them.

shahab6, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  3. nickspain

nickspain Guest

Best Answers:
    i have just stated with my directory and would like to keep it going now as its a nice site (i Think )
    please take a look if you will its www.linkprank.com.
    any suggestions would be great help

nickspain, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  4. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Dont worry, still plenty o life in the directory world, i dont want to repeat what is already echoing through dozens of other threads here but plenty to be cheerful about.

pipes, Oct 20, 2007 IP
    gabbs22 likes this.
  5. glengara

glengara Guest

Best Answers:
    ".. in it for a quick dollar then it goes over the line."

What's wrong with a quick dollar, you one of these anti-American anti-directory troublemakers, The Pheonix?

glengara, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  6. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Always the hope of traffic ;)

bobby9101, Oct 20, 2007 IP
    gabbs22 likes this.
  7. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Nope, I'm anti make a quick dollar and screw the directory scene long term! :rolleyes: You saying your one of them are you coz it sure as hell sounds like it? Out of interest are you also suggesting its Americans who are the QBC?

The Pheonix, Oct 20, 2007 IP
  8. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    There never was any reason to buy expensive links on high PR sites. That's what Google has been saying all along. Its why they delayed the Q3 update and then ambushed the "industry leaders" in the serp's. This just to press home the point that they can and will devalue this industry if don't we don't clean up our act.

But are we listening and the answer to that is NO.
    Take this blowhard as a example. He is a product of the system and when he can no longer paper over the cracks he resorts to bluster. He runs a network of "quality" sites and is too stupid to know that's it time to put his head down and time to start churning out ten times the number of sites he used to have, if he wants to command the same sort of return on his investment. The difference however is that Google has issued a warning and if the buyers decide to play that game then they deserve to get their fingers burnt.

You then get this beauty and his toilet bowl humour.
    He is the only original left. He has no shame. He used to run a high PR site until he ran into someone who tumbled to the fact that he is nothing but hot air and bully boy tactics. But if he is to be believed, which he is not, he is still making money hand over fist. This is the problem.
    If you are not prepared to stand up and tell these scammers that enough is enough you can kiss this industry goodbye. Make no mistake the clever ones are still around. But they don't shout their mouths off. What we are left with, what we can see out in the open are the muscle and the brawn milling around mindlessly. Clowns that live for the reps and who cant hold their tongues no matter how hard they try. The bright boys are the smooth talkers. They are the ones who command the corporate accounts and all they are interested in right now is diversifying and consolidating their hold over the QBC. This is where the problem is. Its what you cant see. Its whats going on below the radar thats going to do all the damage.

We have a choice. Either we do nothing and risk losing all or we call them to account. These are the people we need to get rid of. They are the ones that are fouling our nest. And if you don't see it by now, don't whine when Goole does the dirty work for you.

workshop, Oct 20, 2007 IP
    gabbs22 likes this.
  9. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    ROFL; you got this one absolutely right, and there's me thinking I was the only one who could see that. :p I don't know about making money hand over fist, I think most of them are struggling to make ends meet they just don't admit it.

I have an idea I know where they've all migrated to in thier quest to continue to make that much needed dollar while caring little for the directory scene as a long term thing, (they live for today, screw tomorrow kind of thing).

What your doing though is tarring all with the same brush and you did say one thing that even offended me, (I had the decency to p.m you on it).

Keep up the good work but please, don't lower yourself to thier levels.

The Pheonix, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  10. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    I am also English but sometimes wish I wasn't. South Africans in contrast are crude and earthy and there is something appealing in their manner. Much like the Aussies but without all the baggage they carry. ;)

workshop, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  11. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That wouldn't by chance be a racist comment would it?

pctec, Oct 21, 2007 IP
    gabbs22 likes this.
  12. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    If it is, its only in the mind of the beholder. I get on well with most races. Real people generally respond well to an upfront and open approach to these sort of things.

13. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    workshop, i did declare that i wouldn't take part in any more threads where your posting, but really i think your overstepping the mark now, your going too far and when you become offensive to this extent it gets quite serious.

I think you have made your point thoroughly, you literally hijack thread after thread, people are sick to the back teeth of it, well i think most are.

You have an agenda but i think your cutting your own throat in the long run.

pipes, Oct 21, 2007 IP
    jg123 and pctec like this.
  14. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Would not let it worry you to much, us ausies need a lot of baggage, bloody big land down here and you can go days between towns so we need a few spare sets of togs.

DownUnder, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  15. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    I have said my piece and have better things to do then waste the effort it takes to stick my finger up your nose. Believe it or not most of you are bottom feeders and you are just a prat. :p

16. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Does that mean we will finally be rid of you?
    The Lord does work in mysterious ways...
    Thank you Lord :rolleyes:

pctec, Oct 21, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  17. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So dont ... you where given the answer...

just add those you dont want to "see or hear" on the ignore list is all .. :)

works like a charm ;)

laterz
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 21, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  18. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Malcolm, a good suggestion and advice and ive just did it, hes the first ever. :)

pipes, Oct 21, 2007 IP
  19. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    yes im not happy about doing it either but i have no time for these negative
    remarks/comments from others that offer us nothing in return. :(

And yes ... my "first ever" also being added to ignore list

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 21, 2007 IP
    balkanboy likes this.
  20. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely know what you mean, a last resort but neccessary in extreme cases.

pipes, Oct 21, 2007 IP