1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Did my name search just get tasted by a scam?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by agusto, Jan 3, 2020.

I am new here and just signed up to this forum because I saw good topics relating to similar issues and I wanted to ask a question.

Was my ICANN search just tasted and purchased before I could act on it?

I ask this because I used the ICANN (icann.org) search to look up a name and there was a longer delay than normal followed by returning a nealy blank info page which I have not seen before, then I went to whois.net to check the same name and saw this:
    """
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whoisDOTnamecheapDOTcom
    Registrar URL: wwwDOTnamecheapDOTcom
    Updated Date: 2020-01-03T23:13:48Z
    Creation Date: 2014-10-22T12:37:50Z
    Registry Expiry Date: 2019-10-22T12:37:50Z
    Registrar: NameCheap, Inc.
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https ://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
    Domain Status: pendingDelete https ://icann.org/epp#pendingDelete
    """
    note: above I had to change "." to "DOT" so it was not a link..
    SEMrush
    I am very suspicious by the "Updated Date" and I do not know what timezone it is in but I searched for that domain only a few hours ago (it's currently 01:31:50 UTC Saturday, January 4, 2020) so it was nearly the same day/time I think.

I see it going on GoDaddy for $95,000.00

Was I just pawned by ICANN? Or is there deeper reasoning?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    agusto, Jan 3, 2020 IP
    SEMrush
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Some unscrupulous companies do monitor searches and register so that they can cybersquat. They buy in bulk and with a flat rate so junk registrations are, essentially, free.

If you searched on icann.org I'd expect a clean, unmonitored search but have no evidence either way.

sarahk, Jan 4, 2020 IP