1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

did godaddy screw me over?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by techblology, Apr 25, 2007.

ok first let me say that I have never been able to register a domain that was already taken.
    So a few days ago I register a domain and receive my emailed receipt so I assumed everything went smoothly.
    But a couple of days later I receive an email stating my funds have been refunded because the domain was already registered thru another registrar.
    So then I did a whois lookup and the domain was registered on the same day that I registered it.
    So is there anything I can do about this because I think godaddy screwed me over.

By the way,
    I registered a high value keyword domain.
    Something that people have been using the search engines for a lot lately,
    so that's why I feel I got screwed over.

techblology, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  2. matt-baker

matt-baker Guest

Best Answers:
    If it has already been taken, how do you expect to register it? :confused:
    The domain has already been registered. Forget about it and move on. You haven't been screwed at all, especially considering you have been refunded. What's the big deal?

matt-baker, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  3. techblology

techblology Member

Best Answers:
    the big deal is that you can't register an already registered domain.
    I'm sure that I was the first to register it and then got screwed over and had it taken away from me.
    and the big deal is that its a high value keyword domain.

4. matt-baker

matt-baker Guest

Best Answers:
    You can't register a domain that has already been registered? Of course you can't! Sure, you could try and buy it off the person who owns it, but you can't register what is already somebody else's!

matt-baker, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  5. exponent

exponent Peon

Best Answers:
    This happened to me before and I called GoDaddy support to register the domain because I was out of town and didnt trust the internet I had available. Turns out they refunded shortly afterwards and that a GoDaddy employee had registered the domain. I called support and threatened suit and ended up winning the domain and getting the employee terminated. They also sent me a $50 gift card.

Just my personal experiance.

exponent, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  6. shaunclark

shaunclark Peon

Best Answers:
    If the domain was a high value keyword domain; then chances are it was a deleted domain name. It’s very common for a good name to get snatched the second it becomes available.

I find it hard to believe that the domain-- if it is such a great name has been available for some time.

What was the name?

shaunclark, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  7. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are their domain registrations real time?

dnk, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  8. techblology

techblology Member

Best Answers:
    no I'm 100% sure it wasn't a deleted domain.
    it's a combination of words that nobody could of had before.
    I'm not saying its the best name in the world but its words that people have been using the search engines a lot for lately.
    I think I'm gonna have to do what exponent did because I have an emailed receipt that I registered the domain so I have proof that I registered it first.
    Because if somebody registered it before me then I wouldn't be able to do it.

I've always heard stories about godaddy but now I'm convinced they are shady.

9. Cronus

Cronus Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, taht is quite shady, I woudl definately see what is up, and give them a piece of my mind.

I also noticed matt-baker said you could buy a domain off someone, and I have seen this on numerous sites. And there is a site I am looking at to see if I could possibly buy it from the owner. I very good domain, it is used as a forum, and the last post was over 2 weeks ago, the last post by the owner was back in february. There are only like 15 posts total I think.

I really want the domain, and have considered getting companies to try to get the person to sell it. But I don't know if they jsut email the owner? Because if that is all they do, I don't want to pay for that, i could do that, without paying the fee.

Do they try to contact the owner via phone or anything else? I am looking for a service to do this because I really would like this domain.

Does anyone know?

Cronus, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  10. Arson

Arson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think GoDaddy Screwed you over, but I think they should have never let you think that you had the domain if it was already registered.

Arson, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  11. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To whom is it currently registered to? No need to list the domain name here.

If you feel Go Daddy "screwed" you, take it up with them or seek legal advice.

Dave Zan, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  12. Your Content

Your Content Banned

Best Answers:
    Domains at Godaddy are not registered until you get a confirmation that it was that way.

However I have heard that somehow they hijack the searches so while you complete the complex process someone is registering what you already found as a gem :rolleyes:

Your Content, Apr 25, 2007 IP
  13. htmlindex

htmlindex Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Typical of Godaddy...I registered the top keywords in the .nu extention a couple of months ago after seeing that they were "available" on Godaddy. Paid for it, then they had to refund it back to my c/c. At least the exchange rates worked in my favor so I made a couple of bucks of the refund :D

htmlindex, Apr 26, 2007 IP
  14. techblology

techblology Member

Best Answers:
    its registered as private which by coincidence,
    is the same way that I registered it.
    but its registered thru enom.
    I'm gonna contact them and threaten legal action cause I smell a rat

techblology, Apr 26, 2007 IP
  15. matt-baker

matt-baker Guest

Best Answers:
    Good luck I guess, but I think you are chasing a lost cause. What proof do you have that you "registered" it before them?

matt-baker, Apr 26, 2007 IP
  16. techblology

techblology Member

Best Answers:
    the proof I have is emailed receipts that I registered it and that I'm the owner.

techblology, Apr 26, 2007 IP
  17. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    There are many different registrars. You register a name at GoDaddy. GoDaddy has to enter that registration into a central database. At that point, it clashes with another registrar also entering the purchase of that domain name. First come, first serve. Either you registered the domain later, after it was purchased, or the other registrar was faster at submitting the purchase.

The likelihood that you have been "screwed over" is small. And as for suing, who are you going to sue?

minstrel, Apr 26, 2007 IP
  18. 007c

007c Peon

Best Answers:
    true that but some employess and registrars will c good domain names and snatch em so you can't buy them directly so your forced to buy them from the one who registered it for his own bigger profit.

007c, Apr 26, 2007 IP
  19. yogesh sarkar

yogesh sarkar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Godaddy doesn’t own the domains, ICANN does and they choose multiple registrars like godaddy, enom and it takes time to update ICANN database.

So this is not a fault of Godaddy, they have already refunded you the amount you paid for so whats the big deal?

Just build the site you wanted to build with another domain name; chances are the other person just grabbed it to park it. In that case your site would rank higher even if it does not contain the keywords.

yogesh sarkar, Apr 26, 2007 IP
  20. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just an FYI: many registrars laugh off empty legal threats, especially without any actionable claims.

Inspite of what you believe, you don't have any. But...it's your call.

Dave Zan, Apr 26, 2007 IP