1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Did Big Daddy really break Google this time?

Discussion in 'Google' started by minstrel, May 10, 2006.

1. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Well I truly believe Google's blown a cylinder! Behavior wise it is very clear.

I am not the smartest guy in the planet let alone in DP, and there are many of you here that are smarter than some of the folks at GooglePlex and from the comments floating around in DP and other forums, I think we can conclude Google is not firing on all cylinders. And unfortunately, with this "google dependency" everyone has, there are lot of people who are severely getting effected by this mayhem.

Let me throw this out ... and think about it for a sec before you comment

Do you think its time for governments to start reeling Google in just like they have Microsoft? Google is starting to drive much of our economies now just like Microsoft was.

LaCabra, May 11, 2006 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    No. Even I find it ironic. The fact is that the "Google is broken" cry has gone up after every significant update for about the past 2 years and in the past it has always been wrong.

When it started again around the time of Big Daddy, my reaction was the usual, "uh-huh... here we go again :rolleyes: " -- except that this time, instead of seeing any glitches following the update gradually correct themselves, what I see is things staying the same or getting worse... for several weeks now.

Hence the thread: Is it REALLY broken this time?

minstrel, May 11, 2006 IP
  3. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the same as I can see. I second the comment from above.

I realy think that G has problems with advertisers and that they are using an algo to adjust the payouts to their likeness and therefore confusing all the technical rules in-between.

Arnie, May 11, 2006 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry. That's total BS and totally illogical.

I'll try to say it again, though I've said it many times before. Unless Google can deliver good relevant search results, internet users are not going to use their search engine - they'll just go elsewhere, to Yahoo or MSN probably. Without people using the search engine, advertisers have no interest in advertising on Google. Thus what we want - good spam-free relevant search results - is exactly what Google wants, because their ability to charge big money to advertisers depends on that.

Google is having a significant problem now, it seems. But there is simply no possibility that Google has deliberately created the problem to make more money from advertisers. That is illogical and irrational. Whatever else you may say about Google, they do not have a history of deliberate self-destruction and there's no evidence that they have suddenly lost interest in making money.

minstrel, May 11, 2006 IP
    LaCabra likes this.
  5. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Over-engineering can be the problem though.

We can see this also with technical brand-name gadjets too. I don't think that google is not making the same mistake as so many others. It's just within the course they are moving.

Internet users are not going to use Yahoo search outside of the US to much because its tailored for the local domestic american market, hence their programms.

MSN is not as mature, but working hard to improve and they have nearly doubled their budget for improving their search-programs this year, but still remains to be seen.

Arnie, May 12, 2006 IP
  6. relixx

relixx Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol, i think ur problem is more widespread amongst webmasters and thus more serious :D

relixx, May 12, 2006 IP
  7. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Now more than ever, Google MUSt deliver relevancy!

There have up until now been no credible alternative, with the only decent algo (better than Google's IMO) was with Teoma, however the sheer tininess <real word? > :) of the Teoma index meant it was not a viable alternative.

Now you have Microshaft & Yahoo both investing in search, and they are actuially talking to each other to break the Google stranglehold. . As Mini Said above, & I re-iterrate, google MUST have relevant organic search, or the house of cards (because that is what google is, a one trick pony income stream), comes crashing down.

Old Welsh Guy, May 12, 2006 IP
  8. alext

alext Active Member

Best Answers:
    Pulling that out of context :) is exactly what I woukd like to see. I think a little more SE diversity would be a nice thing. My attitude comes from someone who has given up on seeing decent results from Google.

"http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/mego/"

and after reading that "No it aint Google. It is you" post I will be happy to see that diversity.

Google SE broken? I don't know but it certainly has not worked for me. AdWords on the other hand works perfectly :p

alext, May 12, 2006 IP
  9. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    What site is this? If you post the url I will let you know why the PR is screwed up.

mad4, May 12, 2006 IP
  10. The Webmaster

The Webmaster IdeasOfOne

Best Answers:
    Dude, are you on high?
    Who asked for your help by the way? Or am I missing any hidden post of ministrel??

The Webmaster, May 12, 2006 IP